Enneatyping Stories | INFJ Forum

Enneatyping Stories

Krypton

Permanent Fixture
May 24, 2016
MBTI
xxxx
An MBTI blogger I follow linked this, and it looks entertaining as hell.

https://web.archive.org/web/20081230012820/http://www.judithsearle.com/3.html

Based on the rules in this article, what types are the things you've been watching? The last thing I watched all the way through was definitely type 4 (even included the suicide for love bit, though the happy relationship wasn't abandoned by the protagonist), but I'm interested in doing this for other stories.

Also, if you're an enneagram type, do you tend to gravitate to "your" stories?

I'm surprised....but yes. I tend to follow this. I have been reading fantasy (and some SciFi) novels since I was 17 when I discovered the Lord of the Rings.
I watched Maleficent the other night as a matter of fact. Look at that! I match. ;)

Nine

The basic Nine story genre is the fantasy, which is involved with the supernatural, the representation of imaginary animals, and/or the visualization of dreams. Examples include The Wizard of Oz, Alice in Wonderland, It's a Wonderful Life, ET: The Extraterrestrial, Harvey, and The Secret Life of Walter Mitty.

Magical realism, another Nine genre, includes stories involved with marvelous and impossible events that occur in what otherwise purports to be a realistic narrative. This category is exemplified by the novels of Gabriel Garcia Marquez such as One Hundred Years of Solitude and Love in the Time of Cholera.

Sword-and-sorcery stories (such as The Lord of the Rings, The Hobbit, and Excalibur) also fall into the Nine genre, as do most fairy tales (such as "Sleeping Beauty").

Yep, I sure do. I didn't realize you were a four as well, @Krypton

Four
The basic Four story genre is the melodrama, in which there is a clear-cut division between good and evil, heroes and villains. The main object of the melodrama is to arouse emotions in the most direct way possible. Such films as Casablanca, Rebecca, Rain, The Letter, Back Street, and Mildred Pierce are clear examples.

Stories of love and loss are also part of the Four genre, and may overlap, as Casablanca does, with the basic melodrama category. Other examples of the love-and-loss story include The Bridges of Madison County; Brief Encounter; Wuthering Heights; Now, Voyager; and Waterloo Bridge.

Stories of doomed love--love and death--also exemplify the Four attitude to life, and examples include Anna Karenina, Madame Bovary, Camille, Sophie's Choice, Interview with the Vampire, and Jules and Jim.

Stories of artists who give their lives for their art (as in Lust for Life and The Fountainhead) also belong in the Four category.

Rules of Four story genres

We might sum up as follows the unwritten rules of Four story genres such as melodramas, love-and-loss stories, and love-and-death stories:

• The Four protagonist is driven by a need to focus on his deep and authentic feelings.

• The Four protagonist is self-aware, self-absorbed, passionate, and unhappy.

• The Four protagonist is dominated by his feelings and driven to express them in love and/or art.

• The Four protagonist is comfortable with longing and seeks to maneuver his life situation so as to perpetuate this state.

• The Four protagonist is uncomfortable with lengthy periods of contentment or love affairs that threaten to end happily.

• Four stories generally have unhappy endings involving loss and/or death.

• The Four protagonist is the most likely of all Enneagram types to commit suicide over love.

*Damn. Always with the suicide type 4...

Reactions: Jexocuha and John K
The basic Nine story genre is the fantasy, which is involved with the supernatural, the representation of imaginary animals, and/or the visualization of dreams. Examples include The Wizard of Oz, Alice in Wonderland, It's a Wonderful Life, ET: The Extraterrestrial, Harvey, and The Secret Life of Walter Mitty.

Magical realism, another Nine genre, includes stories involved with marvelous and impossible events that occur in what otherwise purports to be a realistic narrative. This category is exemplified by the novels of Gabriel Garcia Marquez such as One Hundred Years of Solitude and Love in the Time of Cholera.

Sword-and-sorcery stories (such as The Lord of the Rings, The Hobbit, and Excalibur) also fall into the Nine genre, as do most fairy tales (such as "Sleeping Beauty").

The Wizard of Oz

The Wizard of Oz, originally a book by L. Frank Baum, is best known in the film version starring Judy Garland. At the beginning of this beloved fantasy story, we see Dorothy living on a farm in Kansas with her Aunt Em and Uncle Henry. No one has much time for the young girl, and she is left to her own devices. She daydreams about a fantasy place "over the rainbow." A big twister comes up, and she is knocked unconscious by a window frame blown into her bedroom. She dreams the house is lifted from its foundation by the wind and lands in Oz.

Glinda, the Good Witch of the North, appears and says Dorothy has freed the Munchkins from the Wicked Witch of the East, who was crushed under Dorothy's house when it landed.

The Wicked Witch of the West appears and wants her dead sister's ruby slippers. When Glinda arranges for the slippers, which have magical powers, to go to Dorothy, the Wicked Witch vows revenge.

Dorothy wants to get home, and Glinda advises her to walk to Oz and consult the Wizard. On the road Dorothy acquires three companions: a Scarecrow (Seven) who hopes the Wizard will be able to give him some brains, a Tin Woodsman (Two) who wants the Wizard to give him a heart, and a Cowardly Lion (Six), who hopes to acquire some courage.

They survive several attempts by the Wicked Witch to destroy them, arrive at the Emerald City, and finally get into the chamber of the Wizard, whom no one has ever seen. There is a big stage effect of smoke, and they hear the impressive voice of the Wizard telling them that before he will grant their wishes they must prove their worthiness by bringing him the broomstick of the Wicked Witch.

They go into the enchanted forest, and the Wicked Witch instructs her army of winged monkeys to bring back Dorothy and her dog. The Witch still wants the ruby slippers. But they won't come off Dorothy's feet, and the witch decides she'll have to kill Dorothy to get them.

Toto escapes, finds the others in Dorothy's group, and leads them back to the Witch's castle and the room where Dorothy is being held. The Woodsman breaks open the locked door with his ax. But the Witch corners them before they can get out the front door and sets fire to the Scarecrow. Dorothy grabs a bucket of water and throws it on him. In the process, some of the water gets on the Wicked Witch, who melts away.

The four of them go back to the Wizard with her broomstick, and he tells them to come back tomorrow. But Toto pulls aside a curtain, and they see a man running all the machinery that creates the impressive stage effects. They realize the whole thing is an illusion (the Wizard being a Three), and they won't get the things they seek, after all.

But the Wizard gives the Scarecrow a diploma, which attests to his brains, and once he believes he has brains, he does. The Lion, says the Wizard, is suffering from disordered thinking. All he needs to attest to his courage is a medal, and the Wizard produces one. The Tin Woodsman, who needs a heart, is given a testimonial: "A heart is not judged by how much you love, but by how much you are loved by others." (Which might be the Two's motto.)

The Wizard plans to take Dorothy back to Kansas in the balloon he arrived in years ago. But once they are ready to go, Toto jumps out of the balloon basket, Dorothy runs after him, and the balloon takes off without her.

Dorothy is in despair of ever getting home, but Glinda appears and tells her she has always had the power to go home. All she needs to do is close her eyes, click the heels of her ruby slippers together three times and think three times, "There's no place like home."

She wakes up in her bedroom, thrilled to be home, and vows never to leave again.

Rules of Nine story genres

Here, in summary, are the unwritten rules of Nine story genres, including fantasy, magical realism, sword-and-sorcery stories and fairy tales:
  • The Nine protagonist is driven by the need to be connected with familiar people in familiar surroundings.
  • The Nine protagonist is underappreciated by herself and by loved ones.
  • The Nine protagonist has little ambition beyond survival and "getting home."
  • The Nine protagonist never seeks adventure or risk in real life, but has a vivid imagination and enjoys daydreaming.
  • Supernatural, magic and/or mystical elements are often important in Nine stories.
  • The Nine protagonist responds to events rather than initiating action. • The Nine protagonist's will is tested in the course of the story. Events force her into action and she acquits herself well.
  • By the end of the story, the Nine protagonist comes to a new appreciation of home and family. And the Nine is appreciated more fully by others.
-------

Yes, absolutely nails it to a “T.” This describes what I like so well.

But just as I find Type 4s so attractive, so too do I enjoy artists who are, and what was suggested.

And to a lesser degree, Type 7s, those artists who are, and the described styles.

Cheers,
Ian

I'm spread over several of these types - 5, 8, 1 perhaps most strongly. I devoured fantasy and science fiction from the age of 8 upwards, but these days it has to be both subtle and well written to attract me, while in my teens I'd read or watch just about anything in those genres. Interesting that E5 goes with horror - I've always liked Hope Hodgeson and Lovecraft, but they do wear a bit thin over the years and I've never been a fan of blood and guts type horror. I love a good ghost story and MR James is my favourite author. We watch and read a lot of detective stories, and the ones I like best are those that don't get too tangled up with soap-opera-ish focus on the detectives. I like the ones that use humour well, such as Vera and Poirrot, and I think I'm attracted more for the mystery and its resolution than the E1 craving for justice. I get increasingly irritated though by the modern fashion for portraying television and film detectives as totally lacking in emotional intelligence and stamina - I suppose it makes for pseudo drama on screen but it makes it ever harder for me to suspend belief enough to enjoy the stuff.

I think what attracts me most are stories that are spiritually, emotionally or intellectually mind-extending - ones that bring me insights and experiences that I didn't have before, like opening an unexpected and shiny new dimension. I named my blog Nightspore after a character from a book that I discovered in my teens that is like this.