†☔†
Staff member
Administrator
Sep 28, 2008
MBTI
INFJ
Enneagram
954 so/sx
As an introvert, I've always found elevator speeches to be entirely devoid of human connection, when in fact the entire point of them is supposed to be to build connections.

As an alternative, when somebody asks what you do, just tell them. Tell them about your current project or one you are about to engage in or one you just completed.

Extroverts understand that elevator speeches are for connecting, but introverts crave authenticity. You can still be authentic.

If something feels inauthentic or contrived, tweak it, throw it out, whatever. You have all the power.

Introversion is not a negative.

[video=youtube;3c1Ny7bW5oI]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3c1Ny7bW5oI[/video]

Reactions: Wyote
i totally disagree. Why would you make an inauthentic elevator speech?

I don't think they're meant to be in any way authentic. It's similar to PR speak or a business conference. Of course it's all bullshit, but making a connection doesn't necessarily imply it's going to be a meaningful one. Sometimes you need to make empty connections with people in order to further your career.

I know extroverts are more skilled here, but being able to make a convincing elevator pitch is a useful skill anyone can learn. Just as extroverts should understand the power of making genuine, authentic connections. There's a place for each.

Reactions: Free
I have been having some discussions about this lately. I was told to work on my tagline and title and work on an elevator speech. The idea of approaching every new connection as exclusively a business potential makes my skin crawl. I don't think I am naturally geared towards sales. At least not deliberately selling myself or services to other people. I can understand the value of it. It's nice to have something prepared because sometimes it feels appropriate to put it out there. Otherwise I prefer to let things flow naturally.

I have a stable source of decent income so I guess I haven't felt driven to really refine my entrepreneurial approach yet. That time may come but because my service is mostly in the realm of counseling I am not sure it can be traditionally marketed. At least not to the kind of people I want to be working with.

Attachments

• Hahaha-No-Meme-11.png
    Hahaha-No-Meme-11.png
    18.2 KB · Views: 35
I don't think they're meant to be in any way authentic. It's similar to PR speak or a business conference. Of course it's all bullshit, but making a connection doesn't necessarily imply it's going to be a meaningful one. Sometimes you need to make empty connections with people in order to further your career.

I know extroverts are more skilled here, but being able to make a convincing elevator pitch is a useful skill anyone can learn. Just as extroverts should understand the power of making genuine, authentic connections. There's a place for each.

exactly this. Being an introvert and learning some 'extroversion' certainly isn't a bad thing - either professionally or socially.

My point is, whatever the purpose of an elevator speech may be, you as the individual have control over how you want to illustrate yourself. You are not forced into a box of thinking. Some people just accept the elevator speech and some people make it their own thing. The people that make it their own thing are going to be perceived as more authentic because to them it probably does feel more authentic and that will in turn relate to building better relationships.

Introverts don't like elevator speeches, not because you have to talk to another person (for some yes due to social anxiety but that's a different issue), but because you (supposedly) are required to do this in some formulaic way. Not the case at all. It is OKAY to be genuine. Fuck anyone who doesn't appreciate it, you don't want to work with such asshats anyway.

My point is, whatever the purpose of an elevator speech may be, you as the individual have control over how you want to illustrate yourself. You are not forced into a box of thinking. Some people just accept the elevator speech and some people make it their own thing. The people that make it their own thing are going to be perceived as more authentic because to them it probably does feel more authentic and that will in turn relate to building better relationships.

Introverts don't like elevator speeches, not because you have to talk to another person (for some yes due to social anxiety but that's a different issue), but because you (supposedly) are required to do this in some formulaic way. Not the case at all. It is OKAY to be genuine. Fuck anyone who doesn't appreciate it, you don't want to work with such asshats anyway.

I get you and I do agree that you should be able to approach it in your own way. But sometimes you don't have a choice. Say if you need a job or are starting a new business, you need those connections. And you can't really choose to approach it in the way that feels right to you. So the elevator pitch, or PR speak

It's definitely ok to be genuine. I just think it's also ok make use of elevator speeches when you need to. And it can be incredibly useful skill, especially when you don't have the time to make authentic connections.

Reminds me of a scene from 'Better Call Saul':

[video=youtube;qU4tlzxxGXc]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qU4tlzxxGXc[/video]

Reactions: Free and Gaze
What I hate is networking. My college made us go to things to learn about networking, and it never sat well with me.

Maybe that's why I don't have a job? :p I gotta do it somehow.

Be professional, be yourself (authentic).

HR people can spot fakers a mile away. Just know your shit, show some pride in past work (or if you lack experience, what your goals are) and do the work because you want to do it.*

*I know this doesn't apply to every job/career type and you need to be realistic about making that sweet, sweet cheddar; but if we're talking about selling yourself for a job or networking, I believe the above applies.

I hate talking about what I do.
How conversations about my work go:
Person: What do you do?
Me: I'm an artist.
Person: What kind of art?
Me: Blah kind of art.
Person: Ohhhhh, tell me more about blah, reveal your secrets like we are best friends. ((steps closer, smiles, leans in or touches me))
Me: No.

For career-related elevator speeches I can narrow my career down to a few well-crafted sentences. After that, my work speaks for itself.

I really hate this stuff. To me this is all about people wanting their sense of their own power flattered by have someone do some sort of little performance for them like a dog begging for a treat. This is all about partiality and nothing to do with merit. People are always talking about how fair recruitment is now but that's bullshit. It's like all your hard work doesn't even matter, all that matters is your foot rubbing skills. Sorry I am being so negative and unconstructive about this, I do recognise its importance, but I find it incredibly frustrating.

ugh -- I let my actions and reputation speak for themselves at work. whenever there's a newb at work, mercifully, I am introduced by someone else and they tell them what I do. when asked outright what I do, I just ask what needs to be done - ha

You guys have the total wrong idea about elevator speeches, and I don't know where you learned it from. Why would you make it inauthentic? Why are you not allowed to be genuine? Why does it have to be formulaic? How is it anti-introversion? This is the kind of thing I teach for a living and these are not accurate descriptors.

Although the thought would have been something I'd have shied away from once upon a time, I regret not learning sales techniques early on. I think it would have built confidence, and allows you to have a plan for what to say "just in case" an opportunity comes up. The worse thing is to have a great opportunity show up, and not be prepared to leap forward and take advantage of it. So, wish I'd learned.

Reactions: Free and invisible
You guys have the total wrong idea about elevator speeches, and I don't know where you learned it from. Why would you make it inauthentic? Why are you not allowed to be genuine? Why does it have to be formulaic? How is it anti-introversion? This is the kind of thing I teach for a living and these are not accurate descriptors.

That's my point. People have the wrong impression and it is very often taught incorrectly. I've been to a lot of bullshit workshops that portray them as highly extroverted and formulaic. They are not. That's not the point of them. Hopefully you are doing a better job explaining their value and teaching more authentic methods, it sounds like you are. I know some do a great job but they are the minority it seems. So it goes with most things.

Reactions: Free and Gaze