Elder Scrolls Online

Radiantshadow

Urban shaman
May 8, 2011
MBTI
Human
Enneagram
Human
For those that have played ESO, what're your thoughts? Does it meet, exceed, or fail your expectations?

I'm eager to play it but can't afford it yet >.>

I played the beta...and gotta say, was a bit disappointed.

The richness of TES wasn't there- but it might have changed. I liked being about to explore and kill random things- and that just wasn't there for me...also, i couldn't pick up EVERYTHING - which I absolutely love (I'm a hoarder in the game). Dunno, I played the beta, but I'm not going to get the game...well...probably not!

I tried the Beta too, few times! I didn't get any ''grip'' of it. It was okey, but I felt that something was missing... But I really liked the character voices, graphics and the world but still something was missing. I love the adventuring in Skyrim (only TES game what I've played, I will try the other games of the series someday), but it just didn't feel same in the Elder Scrolls Online.

i didnt get to play the beta but i heard that it is better than that was. i will definitely be playing it when i have the money and time.

when does it come out??

Maybe that will be my summer adventure!

when does it come out??

Maybe that will be my summer adventure!

It came out for PC on April 4, I believe. The PS4 and Xbox versions are still in development from what I understand.

I played the beta...and gotta say, was a bit disappointed.

The richness of TES wasn't there- but it might have changed. I liked being about to explore and kill random things- and that just wasn't there for me...also, i couldn't pick up EVERYTHING - which I absolutely love (I'm a hoarder in the game). Dunno, I played the beta, but I'm not going to get the game...well...probably not!

Could one not roam around in the beta world? Was travel and quest acquisition/progression linear? Can players access various provinces (i.e, Morrowind, Elsweyer, High Rock, Summerset Isle)?

I also enjoyed being able to pick up everything that wasn't nailed down in previous TES games; it's an easy way to make money when starting off.

I tried the Beta too, few times! I didn't get any ''grip'' of it. It was okey, but I felt that something was missing... But I really liked the character voices, graphics and the world but still something was missing. I love the adventuring in Skyrim (only TES game what I've played, I will try the other games of the series someday), but it just didn't feel same in the Elder Scrolls Online.

Hmm. What would have made it better for you?

i didnt get to play the beta but i heard that it is better than that was. i will definitely be playing it when i have the money and time.

That's good news! I've been reading about the various classes and such and have been quite eager to actually try them out. I really like the inclusion of a paladin-like class, as few RPGs seem to have them anymore. Heals + heavy armor + holy magic = win for me.

Reactions: invisible
Could one not roam around in the beta world? Was travel and quest acquisition/progression linear? Can players access various provinces (i.e, Morrowind, Elsweyer, High Rock, Summerset Isle)?

I also enjoyed being able to pick up everything that wasn't nailed down in previous TES games; it's an easy way to make money when starting off.

You could roam around completely! But there was something about roaming in a deserted forest and stumbling upon rabid wolves that was so fun! Now you're not in a deserted forest! And someone might have killed those damn rapid wolves!!!

I thought quest/travel was pretty good - but I really didn't play for more than a weekend! And it was the very first beta- so there were some tweaks!

It was kind of like WoW though, I felt it was mostly really guided quests. I like WoW and TES, but found that the best things of both didn't mesh well for me! But I really only played the first beta, and for only a couple of hours. I imagine my experience isn't really what the release version is like!

I do have to say- I'm like you...I LOOOVE being able to pick up and move anything I wanted- toss plates on the ground! Pluck feathers from chickens! In the beta- it wasn't like that at all!

Oh! I DID like their crafting system though!

You could roam around completely! But there was something about roaming in a deserted forest and stumbling upon rabid wolves that was so fun! Now you're not in a deserted forest! And someone might have killed those damn rapid wolves!!!

I thought quest/travel was pretty good - but I really didn't play for more than a weekend! And it was the very first beta- so there were some tweaks!

It was kind of like WoW though, I felt it was mostly really guided quests. I like WoW and TES, but found that the best things of both didn't mesh well for me! But I really only played the first beta, and for only a couple of hours. I imagine my experience isn't really what the release version is like!

I do have to say- I'm like you...I LOOOVE being able to pick up and move anything I wanted- toss plates on the ground! Pluck feathers from chickens! In the beta- it wasn't like that at all!

Oh! I DID like their crafting system though!

Ah, I see. The deserted forest thing reminds me of the first Guild Wars game: every time you go out of town, you get placed in an individualized zone with only NPCs, enemies, yourself, and any friends you bring along. No competition for kills or loot or anything. I quite enjoyed it because I could viably go solo or in a party, depending on what I wanted.

What's the crafting like? Skyrim's was a bit of a boring grind.

Ah, I see. The deserted forest thing reminds me of the first Guild Wars game: every time you go out of town, you get placed in an individualized zone with only NPCs, enemies, yourself, and any friends you bring along. No competition for kills or loot or anything. I quite enjoyed it because I could viably go solo or in a party, depending on what I wanted.

What's the crafting like? Skyrim's was a bit of a boring grind.

I'm not sure if loot/drop/gathering availability changed in beta to provide more stuff (so people could check out the crafting), but it was super easy to get material and craft! I didn't make it far (because of time), but I found it much easier than skyrim

Hmm. What would have made it better for you?

I'm not sure, because I tried so many classes and races that I was only at the level 9, lol. I think that if I would have been only sticking to one class and race and gone much far in the game,
it could have been more fun, because leveling was a little bit slow... But that's not a bad thing, though! :) I actually have thought of buying it and trying it more, with only one class.

I haven't played, but I've been reading reviews and whatnot since it was announced. I'm not sure I really want to get into another MMO; I feel burnt out. The single player experience, I hear, is of a good quality MMO, but pales in comparison to the ES series which was pretty much the expectation since it was first announced.

The real qualifier for this game is the multiplayer experience. The group/raid content and the PVP. I've read much about it, but not so much on how well it's been executed.

I always main a thief/rogue/assassin pure dps in any RPG I play, so I'd be Nightblade for sure if I decide to try.

I was involved in a bunch of the Beta's and it was meh. I mean it was good but it didn't wow me. It didn't make me think it was any better than any other MMO.

This isn't about ESO, but there was an update on the ongoing public mod project to bring the entirety of Morrowind into Skyrim calling it Skywind.

I'm really looking forward to this and I think it might be one of the largest, if not the largest, mod projects ever produced. It looks pretty impressive.

Last edited:
I played it for some beta weekends as a nightblade and found it rather bland. There wasn't anything that was particularly awesome about it and there wasn't anything that was particularly bad...

I got to test some pvp too, which is probably where it could have potential. Stealth being a passive mode which one enters and which imposes a visual detection range on oneself for enemies was quite fun. I can imagine it could be great to battle it out as an organized guild, as strategy, preparation and tactics really does seem to heavily matter. Last time I checked there was free for all on which battleground to choose every month(or was it two months? I don't remember), so there doesn't seem to be any explicit incentive or in-game mechanic that drives skilled people to be in the same instance, which is sad. There are ways to change this, though.

I decided in the end to not buy it. I suspect Camelot Unleashed or Everquest: Next will be better at what can be the strong aspects of ESO. In regards to PVE... having played Neverwinter, the pve mechanics in ESO feels like a slimy slow turd that doesn't result in my mental alertness in the slightest... though I didn't get beyond level 20... though again, the mechanics stay the same. Ugh. Sound effects and visual effects also feel bland and non-visceral. Bloom effect everywhere too. Glossy feel. Whoops, now I'm kind of ranting. Mudcrabs are just normal crabs in this game, called mudcrabs for some reason (GASP).

Anyhow, I guess it's potentially enjoyable if one doesn't compare it to all the games that will outshine it in X, Y or Z aspect due to TESO's largely cowardly game design.