Egalitarianism and Your Thoughts

yokai

and lo, she haunts
Mar 16, 2021
MBTI
INFJ
Enneagram
2w1
Now, I'm going to preface this with the fact that I understand some things might get heated here, but I for one am in the business of expanding my own world view on a few pressing topics / issues with this.

Important topics in here also include disparity between the sexes in social and political issues.
I'll post my thoughts to start, along with a couple poignant topics.

------------------------------------------

Disparity in length of prison sentences between the sexes
I feel particularly strongly about this one, particularly in reference to certain crimes.
I feel that a woman, regardless of the crime, should serve the same amount of time in prison
as a man would for the very same offense.

Pay gap between the sexes
I'm admittedly uninformed on this one, and I defer to others' better judgement / research on it.

Political decisions in regard to womens' healthcare
I am strongly against men in political power making decisions on what is / isn't acceptable for womens' healthcare. This is a rather big problem for me.

The societal stance on rape
Yes, our ladies need support in regard to stopping rape, but so do men. This right here absolutely needs to change, and fast. Our men are just as valid as our women are.

Shelters
Probably some of the most heartbreaking things I've heard is that there are shelters for women, but there aren't many such facilities for men or that those that do exist have their funding pulled or are otherwise sabotaged. This also needs to stop, but bear in mind that the information I have on this one is first-hand accounts and not really quantifiable on a systemic level.

------------------------------------------

Please note that I understand a lot more falls under the umbrella of egalitarianism, such as racism, ableism, and more, but as a white woman I feel ill-equipped to really speak to these issues. It does not make them any less important.

But I'd love to learn.

Humans will never be treated equally, oppression is wired into our brains

Humans will never be treated equally, oppression is wired into our brains
While likely true to a point, the idealist in me will forever fight for the unattainable. :p
The trick is finding a way to make them there ideals a bit more corporeal!

While likely true to a point, the idealist in me will forever fight for the unattainable. :p
The trick is finding a way to make them there ideals a bit more corporeal!

For sure. I am just stating the source, which I think is a critical starting point in thinking for all of these issues and others.

I think a lot of these issues could be solved by overhauling the antiquated trial/jury system towards something which completely anonymises the parties involved.

It's pretty astonishing to me that we still use something so open to biases for something as important as the justice system.

I mean, YouTubers take more care when they taste test coffee, for heaven's sake.

Double-blinding everything on a systemic level would alleviate much of the reliance on individual moral faculties in the first place.

I'm gonna split it up into sections like you did @yokai because I think it's a good idea.

Disparity in length of prison sentences between the sexes.

Not sufficiently knowledgeable about this one. I've heard it said that the reason for the disparity is that women tend to have kids to take care of and the court wants them to do that but I'd have to look into it.

Pay gap between the sexes
There's not really a pay gap per se (like a few percentage points when you actually narrow it to the same job) but the gap in promotions and in how household chores get divided once families have kids tends to create something similar. Promotion quotas or blind/"affirmative action" selection processes are good, as are paternity leave and a cultural shift through media (though the way this is typically done is kinda lacking--"house husbands" aren't seen in media outside maybe some anime and that would probably help, for instance).

Also if you've heard of "agree and amplify" that's a really interesting strategy women used to get their voices heard.

EDIT: It was amplification, not agree and amplify. Fucking kill me. Link to that is further down in the thread.

Political decisions in regard to womens' healthcare
I dislike abortion conceptually, but I'm willing to support in most circumstances (21 weeks or so is where it starts getting iffy). We should provide contraceptives where possible.

Men and women have the exact same opinions on abortion statistically, this is more of a cultural/economic issue than a gender one. I'm not sure if this applies to other issues related to women's healthcare, but I wouldn't doubt it.

The societal stance on rape

We should do things to lower the rate at which women are raped--for instance, Bystander training is great and we should encourage that. An ounce of prevention, etc., etc. In an ideal world we'd treat all sexual harassment the way we treat sexual harassment of men now, but I understand how it's not an ideal world and we have to worry about people seeing how far they can go past the line.

Shelters
I don't know that much about this. I've heard it said before that we take abuse by men more seriously because men are physically stronger but I don't know how much this matters when you have knives and guns, and especially as fewer men are physically active it may matter less (I don't actually know if fewer men are though).

Last edited:
Some off the top thoughts @yokai

Part of the problem is that people are quite diverse and aren't actually equal in very many ways, depending on how we look at things. That's not saying we shouldn't be equal under the law, say, or that we aren't equal in the eyes of God - but on the other hand, you already raised the issue of women's health with its different needs to that of men. Children aren't the equal of adults and we obviously treat them differently according to age. It gets trickier when we look at people's ability - should someone of great ability be held more to account, or be given greater power, than someone who isn't? We do accept this to some degree in the way we assign responsibility and blame.

Then there are social differences - the forum has good examples of people who struggle at least to some degree socially in a world made for extraverted sensors, so social equality doesn't exist in certain ways depending on our type. This pales into insignificance alongside the social discrimination that comes from more obvious differences.

So I guess egalitarianism comes down to how the essential values balance out in acknowledging and allowing for the innate differences between us all in order to make sure people are given equal opportunity and an equal access to and participation in our world. And of course, it depends on how well we all accept and keep to those values. It's very complicated because there is no easy agreement on how to balance off values associated with our inherent differences - so there are different groups in society competing on these, often quite aggressively and politically.

And of course, there are any number of people quite happy to violate them in blatant or subtle ways in order to further their own advantage. And there are some pretty crappy institutions that are supposed to referee things but are not fully fit for purpose.

I am honestly doubtful that it is possible at least with the current generations as there is just too much in the way of dog eat dog with some types of people having more say while others are left holding the bag. Too much of society and the systems are designed with there being people on the top being served at the expense of those at the bottom. As for biology it is not the be all end all but being the spiritualist type I say it is deeper and that for some souls it is in their nature to oppress others so God if you will would have to remove them from the human experience for it to improve as I just can't see it going much further than it already has. Gender equality is possible but there is so many written and unwritten rules that need to be changed or done away with altogether. Last but not least egalitarianism just isn't possible with there being so much tribalism where each group is trying to have it their way and have their slice of the pie at some other group's expense.

I honestly would throw the current society in the dumpster or the burn pile if it were possible because it is just not fixable.

Reactions: John K and yokai
So, there's a part of me that really just wants to win. I want all of the resources, the entire damn board and I don't care who I have to crush or beat down to get what I want.

It's a gross instinct but I can't stand the idea of having less than the best even if what I get is comparable to others.

So, there's a part of me that really just wants to win. I want all of the resources, the entire damn board and I don't care who I have to crush or beat down to get what I want.

It's a gross instinct but I can't stand the idea of having less than the best even if what I get is comparable to others.
I admire your honesty Pin. Believe it or not, I know exactly how you feel. It isn't the most flattering truth but it is a truth and most of who we are isn't flattering once our affectations & pretenses are removed.
Learning how to tame & harness that energy is part of being a good person. It's a compromise, not just between ourselves & others for society, but also between our Id and Superego for our own well-being.

About egalitarianism. I won't get into the nitty gritty.
Something that troubles me though, is it often feels that people put forward these systems to right wrongs and balance the scales - all good & well, except that to me they lack humanity. Like that in an attempt to make things perfect, we've reduced people to numbers and could lose sight of the forest for the trees.
I understand we need systems and rules to implement goals. Along with whatever those are, we should work towards recognizing suffering when we see it, our empathy for that, and our ability to help on a person-to-person level. It wouldn't solve everything, but it feels like a step in the right direction.

I think a lot of these issues could be solved by overhauling the antiquated trial/jury system towards something which completely anonymises the parties involved.

....Double-blinding everything on a systemic level would alleviate much of the reliance on individual moral faculties in the first place.

I'm with you on this one. There's a TV show, co-produced by Dr. Phil, about 'trial science' - aka manipulating the journey by utilizing psychological factors to procure a jury more sympathetic to one side or the other - that sort of brings forth how a trial might be manipulated. Though the show depicts it in a way where the trial scientists are in the right, it's far too easy to see how readily the concept could be utilized for ill.

I agree that completely anonymising the individual on trial is important, but what if they're called to the stand in defense of their own case? Lawyers often utilize things such as microexpressions and vocal tone to consider their line of questioning of a witness. I wonder how else that might be altered, or if the whole process would have to be scrapped somehow.

Not sufficiently knowledgeable about this one. I've heard it said that the reason for the disparity is that women tend to have kids to take care of and the court wants them to do that but I'd have to look into it.

While understandable, I feel it still sets a precedent that a woman's sentencing is more lenient than a man's because of nothing more than her gender. It also implies that a man isn't allowed the same graces or that he is somehow incapable of taking care of children.

There's not really a pay gap per se (like a few percentage points when you actually narrow it to the same job) but the gap in promotions and in how household chores get divided once families have kids tends to create something similar. Promotion quotas or blind/"affirmative action" selection processes are good, as are paternity leave and a cultural shift through media (though the way this is typically done is kinda lacking--"house husbands" aren't seen in media outside maybe some anime and that would probably help, for instance).

So your stance on this is that, the more we normalize equality in gender roles via popular media, things will likely fall more in line with that equality by default. I'm for it, and something similar I've been passionate about. I'd be curious to see how LGBTQIA+ acceptance on a social level has also increased since same sex (and even polyamorous) relationships are making their way into prevalence in the media, but I understand that may be difficult to quantify.

Also if you've heard of "agree and amplify" that's a really interesting strategy women used to get their voices heard.

I haven't! But I'll definitely look into this in the near future. Thanks! :)

I dislike abortion conceptually, but I'm willing to support in most circumstances (21 weeks or so is where it starts getting iffy). We should provide contraceptives where possible.

100% agree with you. While I also dislike abortion, I am of the firm belief that there are situations where it is required not only for the future well-being of the child, but the quality of life they would receive and the overall mental health of the mother. If a woman is raped, should she be forced to carry a child to term when she didn't even consent to its creation? What of a minor in the same situation? I understand the argument to place the child into the care of the state, but then one has to bear in mind the nature of the state childcare system in question. Many questions and variables, to be certain.

On contraceptives - absolutely. I'm a huge advocate that sex-education be made a lot more available than it currently is, though I understand how difficult that is in certain demographics.

I don't know that much about this. I've heard it said before that we take abuse by men more seriously because men are physically stronger

I think that may be one way of looking at it, but with that also comes the idea that because a woman is smaller and can perceivably inflict less injury, it less of an affront for a woman to abuse a man or harder to believe. I've a very close friend who's been beaten by his wife, and she is of course much smaller than he is. He didn't retaliate. He endured it. Does it make any more right or wrong depending on who is the aggressor in the situation genderwise? Are we weighing abuse on a scale of the amount of physical damage done to the victim? Please let me know if I'm broad-stroking anything at all, just bringing forth ideas to ponder!

Part of the problem is that people are quite diverse and aren't actually equal in very many ways, depending on how we look at things. That's not saying we shouldn't be equal under the law, say, or that we aren't equal in the eyes of God - but on the other hand, you already raised the issue of women's health with its different needs to that of men. Children aren't the equal of adults and we obviously treat them differently according to age. It gets trickier when we look at people's ability - should someone of great ability be held more to account, or be given greater power, than someone who isn't? We do accept this to some degree in the way we assign responsibility and blame.

These are very, very good points. All men aren't created equal - we all have our diversities and strengths, but I agree that we should definitely be treated equally under the law for the same affront. I'm not saying that context doesn't matter - it absolutely does, especially when you're considering for example two murder cases. One of the murders was committed under the influence of some drug, the other was committed in a psychotic break. Context would very much dictate that these be tried differently, but trying on basis of gender, race, ability, age, so on and so forth oftentimes sways bias. I know it's mentioned here a couple times that a blind process would be a lot easier if we were to make lawful calls on actions alone, but I understand that's tricky to quantify.

Then there are social differences - the forum has good examples of people who struggle at least to some degree socially in a world made for extraverted sensors, so social equality doesn't exist in certain ways depending on our type. This pales into insignificance alongside the social discrimination that comes from more obvious differences.

You're not wrong in this at all. It's a factor I definitely hadn't considered, because of that paling into insignificance you reference when compared to social discrimination, but it still doesn't make it less relevant. It again points out to us that people really are very different and that values can (and likely will) vary widely from one person to the next.

So I guess egalitarianism comes down to how the essential values balance out in acknowledging and allowing for the innate differences between us all in order to make sure people are given equal opportunity and an equal access to and participation in our world.

Absolutely. That's basically the point I'd like to make, that in acknowledging the differences, we should be also accepting the similarities between us. There will always be exceptions to every rule and I know someone said somewhere recently that we are all neutral people that are prone to both good and evil behavior / things. I agree with that assessment in a lot of ways. Maybe that's the point in all of this - egalitarianism to the point of providing equal opportunity. It's a good all-encompassing value, but is the world ready for it...? Definitely not within our lifetimes, I don't think. Thank you so much for your input, John. ♥

I am honestly doubtful that it is possible at least with the current generations as there is just too much in the way of dog eat dog with some types of people having more say while others are left holding the bag. ...

I honestly would throw the current society in the dumpster or the burn pile if it were possible because it is just not fixable.

A reset button would be the most efficient means of trying to fix what's inherently wrong, sure. But I think it adds more value to us as a race to work with what we have, no matter how hard it is, to try to make it better for those that succeed us. I'd argue that it all starts with trying to raise our children to be better than we ever were, and teach them to do the same going forward. A lot of these based norms are baked into us from childhood, so why not do it from there? (Of course, this isn't me pushing the idea of having kids on other people. Who does that?! Just speaking academically about a potential avenue for us to change things for the future.)

100% I appreciate your honesty, Pin. It speaks volumes to your strength to say something so vulnerable so openly, and I've got the utmost respect for you for it. Wish I could learn a little more of that sometimes!

Having standards isn't necessarily a bad thing, and I'm with Winter on her followup, regarding taming and harnessing that energy. Something we all struggle toward, too.

About egalitarianism. I won't get into the nitty gritty.
Something that troubles me though, is it often feels that people put forward these systems to right wrongs and balance the scales - all good & well, except that to me they lack humanity. Like that in an attempt to make things perfect, we've reduced people to numbers and could lose sight of the forest for the trees.
I understand we need systems and rules to implement goals. Along with whatever those are, we should work towards recognizing suffering when we see it, our empathy for that, and our ability to help on a person-to-person level. It wouldn't solve everything, but it feels like a step in the right direction.

I absolutely agree with this. I think what would help differentiate is the definition between egalitarianism in a social setting vs. a law setting. The latter, I think, would be the best way of enforcing it. I think the concept is designed for a more logic / process-oriented application than a humanitarian one, and I could definitely see your concerns with that. But on an unrelated note, there's a lot of humanitarian systems within our government (speaking purely from a US standpoint here, sorry other friends, but I'd love to hear your viewpoints on how it works where you are, too!) that desperately need development. There's even been popular media, films, music that have thrown light on the obvious flaws in things such as our funding for mental health care facilities, rehabilitation programs, and even caring for our homeless.

But reading your reply did bring forth one of my favorite quotes from Cloud Atlas.

upload_2021-8-22_10-31-47.png

It all starts with one act of kindness. ♥ The hope is to create a snowball effect, and encourage people to pay it forward.

Thank you everyone for your replies! Sorry this is so long-winded.

Last edited:
I will answer this from a more general viewpoint rather than as a critique of the judicial system. Equal treatment is primarily a mentality which delineates your actions, and the workings of a legal system are simply its corollary.

I think @John K has provided a good foundation for the intrinsic natural complexity of inequality, and in some ways this inequality is actually necessary and beneficial. But beyond that, I see identity as the main obstacle. Egalitarian thinking is the enemy of identity, and it requires a significant dose of humility to be content with not being exceptional or favored in any way. A truly equitable approach to treating people would have to include overcoming of societal sub-cultures and sub-groupings, and I'm not just speaking of the traditional communist class obsession. When you create 'us', you create a hierarchy in which 'them' is always inferior in some way, lacking in some particular quality which bars them access to your own circle - which is why all IDPol strategies, despite ostensibly being pro-equality, just perpetuate the cycle. You really need to be able to 'get over yourself', which is the main thing most revolutionaries can't do. People need to come to terms with the fact that if, say, LGBTQ community wants to achieve proposed equality, then that same aim includes the abolition of the LGBTQ community. Most people probably just want to socially integrate and lead a peaceful life, but there are splinter groups which actually take pride in that separation, because it provides them a sense of familiarity and empowerment through a sense of 'unified exceptionalism'.

This also extends into language, when you consider issues like elevating civil unions to gay marriage. These enactments carry with them a redefinition of their concepts, and when you redefine something you are effectively stating that the previous conception was wrong. This may seem petty, but semantics are all we have and words can hold deeper existential significance for us. Telling someone that the holy union of man and woman is now obsolete and needs to be more inclusive can be a personal affront to people's sense of their place and worth by shifting away from its etymology. I've talked about this in the enduring problems of philosophy thread, but I essentially regard identity as the etymology of the soul. Each of its iterations is influenced by its previous incarnation, but each new iteration must be accompanied by sufficient time and personally meaningful catalysts which smooth the transition. Otherwise, there will be resistance to the sudden violation of internal logical integrity.

I will answer this from a more general viewpoint rather than as a critique of the judicial system. Equal treatment is primarily a mentality which delineates your actions, and the workings of a legal system are simply its corollary.

I think @John K has provided a good foundation for the intrinsic natural complexity of inequality, and in some ways this inequality is actually necessary and beneficial. But beyond that, I see identity as the main obstacle. Egalitarian thinking is the enemy of identity, and it requires a significant dose of humility to be content with not being exceptional or favored in any way. A truly equitable approach to treating people would have to include overcoming of societal sub-cultures and sub-groupings, and I'm not just speaking of the traditional communist class obsession. When you create 'us', you create a hierarchy in which 'them' is always inferior in some way, lacking in some particular quality which bars them access to your own circle - which is why all IDPol strategies, despite ostensibly being pro-equality, just perpetuate the cycle. You really need to be able to 'get over yourself', which is the main thing most revolutionaries can't do. People need to come to terms with the fact that if, say, LGBTQ community wants to achieve proposed equality, then that same aim includes the abolition of the LGBTQ community. Most people probably just want to socially integrate and lead a peaceful life, but there are splinter groups which actually take pride in that separation, because it provides them a sense of familiarity and empowerment through a sense of 'unified exceptionalism'.

These are also really solid points. I remember researching a bit on tribalism here and there and the more I looked into it, the more I realized how that hard-grained ideology seems to have led to the majority of these issues; somehow equality is thus synonymous with losing one's identity - when it isn't, necessarily. Perhaps egalitarianism as a concept is too hard line an approach for what we're looking for on a social level for certain circumstances. And you're right in that even if it may seem semantics, those implications (as in your example of the civil unions) whether intended or not can oftentimes violate the doctrines of another 'tribe' and thus invoke their ire or inspire resistance.

I've talked about this in the enduring problems of philosophy thread, but I essentially regard identity as the etymology of the soul. Each of its iterations is influenced by its previous incarnation, but each new iteration must be accompanied by sufficient time and personally meaningful catalysts which smooth the transition.

This is awesome. I feel (and correct me if I'm wrong) it also sort of echoes (in a much more encompassing fashion) the ideas of filtering in inclinations toward progressive change into media as well as raising our children to be more receptive to culture differences etc. I figure over time, some small issues will be sorted, bigger ones might even find their solutions, but it is as you say - sufficient time.

Thank you for your input, too!

These are also really solid points. I remember researching a bit on tribalism here and there and the more I looked into it, the more I realized how that hard-grained ideology seems to have led to the majority of these issues; somehow equality is thus synonymous with losing one's identity - when it isn't, necessarily. Perhaps egalitarianism as a concept is too hard line an approach for what we're looking for on a social level for certain circumstances. And you're right in that even if it may seem semantics, those implications (as in your example of the civil unions) whether intended or not can oftentimes violate the doctrines of another 'tribe' and thus invoke their ire or inspire resistance.
Yes, I don't think that a complete dismantling of the ego is necessary or even desirable, but there's a certain paradox involved. In love, specifically the all-encompassing humanitarian love, there are ethical aspects which we must adhere to to foster the prosperity of others. The ethical here is the defined, the concrete, the rigid - its imperatives fall under the structure of language. It's aware and rational, it's the self. But this is not always enough, and sometimes it can actually hinder our efforts. It needs to be contrasted with something more faithful, intuitive, something that galvanizes to action without analysis, without thought, and for that same reason it's hard to grasp or talk about - it's absurd, because it needs to rise above the ethical and suspend it in order to fulfill the aims of the same ethical framework which jeopardizes its own function by its passive rigidity. Interestingly, a lot of this parallels themes in @Ren 's book, so maybe he has more to say on the subject.

Yes, I don't think that a complete dismantling of the ego is necessary or even desirable, but there's a certain paradox involved. In love, specifically the all-encompassing humanitarian love, there are ethical aspects which we must adhere to to foster the prosperity of others. The ethical here is the defined, the concrete, the rigid - its imperatives fall under the structure of language. It's aware and rational, it's the self. But this is not always enough, and sometimes it can actually hinder our efforts. It needs to be contrasted with something more faithful, intuitive, something that galvanizes to action without analysis, without thought, and for that same reason it's hard to grasp or talk about - it's absurd, because it needs to rise above the ethical and suspend it in order to fulfill the aims of the same ethical framework which jeopardizes its own function by its passive rigidity. Interestingly, a lot of this parallels themes in @Ren 's book, so maybe he has more to say on the subject.
I suspect that in fact the best that can be achieved is a kind of dynamic equillibriium that balances out opposing social and economic forces rather than a completely stable goal being achievable. The reason I think this is because competition is a vital part of life - without competition there is much less challenge to advance, to pursue excellence. In the UK, some schools won't let kids compete in sport for example because that makes some of them losers, but the glory of achievment in sport isn't possible without that. It's the same in science - we only have to look at the intense competition between Newton and Leibntz that resulted in the invention of the calculus and the Principia which are jewels of our civilisation; or the competition between Darwin and Wallace that prompted the completion of On the Origin of Species. We get the same in ordinary walks of life - in the company i worked for there was intense competion for senior jobs, and this ensured the people best fitted for them were appointed (at least on the whole).

Without some kind of checks and balances, this competition leads to gross inequality and injustice, but without it humanity would stagnate and we'd all be still chasing mammoths with spears probably.