~~DEVIL~~
Jan 9, 2012
MBTI
Ni-INFJ-A
Enneagram
Warlock
shutterstock_44389243-110510_238x238.jpg

Doomsday Clock Set at 3 Minutes to Midnight

Humanity's failure to reduce global nuclear arsenals as well as climate change prompted the Bulletin of the Atomic Scientists to advance their warning about our proximity to a potentially civilization-ending catastrophe.

Just a couple of days ago the so-called “Doomsday Clock” was set ahead to 12:57 pm, the concept being midnight signaling the destruction of humankind.

This jump ahead was due mainly because of inaction regarding climate change.

So here are a few questions…

Do you think humanity stands a chance of surviving on it’s current path?

What would be your number one priority if you had the power to bring about change?

Why do you think people still not believe that our global climate is changing and the driver being humans?

If you don’t believe in global warming or climate change…why?

What would convince you that it is real?

The second reason given was nuclear proliferation and/or lack of reduction in nuclear stockpiles.

Are nuclear weapons still necessary? How many do we need?

Thank you for your time and answers!

Last edited:
So here are a few questions…

who knows

What would be your number one priority if you had the power to bring about change?
I'd like to see a shift in mentality, that I don't see coming. The simplest measure I see would be population control, but even that has its complications.

Why do you think people still not believe that our global climate is changing and the driver being humans?
It's comfy

The second reason given was nuclear proliferation and/or lack of reduction in nuclear stockpiles.

Are nuclear weapons still necessary?
Realistically, at this point - I have no idea.

Reactions: Skarekrow
who knows

I'd like to see a shift in mentality, that I don't see coming. The simplest measure I see would be population control, but even that has its complications.

It's comfy

Are nuclear weapons still necessary?
Realistically, at this point - I have no idea.
It’s confusing and can feel potentially underwater beneath all the fear-mongering and negativity out there…I know I don’t always feel so “afloat”.
I hope for my Son’s life and his future children that some serious things get sorted out instead of kicked down the road for the next group to have to “eat” because they will be the one’s who'll pay…not me.

shutterstock_44389243-110510_238x238.jpg

Just a couple of days ago the so-called “Doomsday Clock” was set ahead to 12:57 pm, the concept being midnight signaling the destruction of humankind.

This jump ahead was due mainly because of inaction regarding climate change.

I think the clock is slow.
[video=youtube;7sXPmz9b4lM]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7sXPmz9b4lM[/video]

Absolutely not, but I think the path will change.

Putting somebody better than me in charge.

It isn't convenient, and some people find it hard to think or face difficult realities which frames them as being responsible for anything.

Humanity is so out of this world ridiculously out of touch with the concept of 'necessary' and hasn't really had an inkling of what it actually means since forever ago and nuclear weapons are no different.

I think the clock is slow.
[video=youtube;7sXPmz9b4lM]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7sXPmz9b4lM[/video]

Absolutely not, but I think the path will change.

Putting somebody better than me in charge.

It isn't convenient, and some people find it hard to think or face difficult realities which frames them as being responsible for anything.

Humanity is so out of this world ridiculously out of touch with the concept of 'necessary' and hasn't really had an inkling of what it actually means since forever ago and nuclear weapons are no different.
I remember growing up with the Soviets as our enemy and watching Red Dawn and Rocky IV and The Day After Tomorrow, etc. etc. and thinking that we could really get nuked one day…the end of the world…both sides would fire all their nukes and life as we knew it was over…dead.
I agree that it is insanity that we even allow them to exist - anywhere.
Maybe one day we’ll get serious…?

The doomsday clock is a figurative representation of societys collapse not necessarily humanitys extinction. The idea that climate change is being factored in is fairly offensive to me as it has not been proven humanity has any affect regarding it. The nuclear arresenal idea is also offensive because it has not changed and if it has not changed why choose to advance the clock NOW.
However...I think we can say that Obamas lack of foreign policy, lack of leadership regarding terrorism etc certainly warrant mo ing the clock as it has been. So yeah, it makes sense.

I remember growing up with the Soviets as our enemy and watching Red Dawn and Rocky IV and The Day After Tomorrow, etc. etc. and thinking that we could really get nuked one day…the end of the world…both sides would fire all their nukes and life as we knew it was over…dead.
I agree that it is insanity that we even allow them to exist - anywhere.
Maybe one day we’ll get serious…?

I'm not sure what's more likely - nukes or people simply becoming too stupid to live.

I'm not sure what's more likely - nukes or people simply becoming too stupid to live.
Well, look at us here in America…we used to value education in this country…I mean, many people still DO value education but we let people leech off the system until it went private and now it’s almost not even worth it if your parents can’t afford to give you a full ride.
People…particularly those less fortunate than some, have been effectively priced out IMO (which perpetuates the issue).
I believe it is in our best interest to make higher education affordable if not free for anyone…the so-called “upper classes” can still have their overpriced Harvard and Princeton.

The doomsday clock is a figurative representation of societys collapse not necessarily humanitys extinction. The idea that climate change is being factored in is fairly offensive to me as it has not been proven humanity has any affect regarding it. The nuclear arresenal idea is also offensive because it has not changed and if it has not changed why choose to advance the clock NOW.
However...I think we can say that Obamas lack of foreign policy, lack of leadership regarding terrorism etc certainly warrant mo ing the clock as it has been. So yeah, it makes sense.

The nuclear arsenal HAS changed…this isn’t just factoring in the US here though it is WE who are one of the main proliferators.
From the article:
She said the United States has good rhetoric on nuclear nonproliferation, but at the same time is in the midst of a $335 billion overhaul of its nuclear program. (That figure seems to come from a Congressional Budget Office report from December 2013.)” The risk from nuclear weapons is not that someone is going to press the button, but the existence of these weapons costs a lot of time, effort and money to keep them secure," Squassoni said, adding that there have been troubling safety discrepancies reported in recent years at power plants.

So what would prove to you that climate change is real and man has
impacted it?

Well, look at us here in America…we used to value education in this country…I mean, many people still DO value education but we let people leech off the system until it went private and now it’s almost not even worth it if your parents can’t afford to give you a full ride.
People…particularly those less fortunate than some, have been effectively priced out IMO (which perpetuates the issue).
I believe it is in our best interest to make higher education affordable if not free for anyone…the so-called “upper classes” can still have their overpriced Harvard and Princeton.

Yeah that's only half the story. The other half is the megacorporations don't want you to learn anything that would inconvenience their profits and they want to make it so you have to think as little as humanly possible it seems.

I'm still kinda pissed that they put the screws on my mouse under the mouse feet so I had to pry them off to repair it. Or some times they use these stupid screws that you need a special tool for. And this other mouse I have doesn't even open. Because if you learn about fixing shit it's harder to sell you more shit.

Education is free; libraries are free. What you call 'education,' is what I call certification and is priced so high because it is highly valued in America.

Yeah that's only half the story. The other half is the megacorporations don't want you to learn anything that would inconvenience their profits and they want to make it so you have to think as little as humanly possible it seems.

I'm still kinda pissed that they put the screws on my mouse under the mouse feet so I had to pry them off to repair it. Or some times they use these stupid screws that you need a special tool for. And this other mouse I have doesn't even open. Because if you learn about fixing shit it's harder to sell you more shit.
Not only that…but why bother to try and fix it when they are now cheap enough to go buy a new one or even a used one for nothing?
Now we have a society that is uneducated AND has access like never before to “technologic” advancements.
But I think we will see some serious changes spurred on by access to information (which is part of why it is now under attack IMHO).
A college degree is basically a requirement for many entry-level positions so why are we setting people so young up for failure and start them off fresh out of school dripping in debt…we’re shooting ourselves in the foot cause we’re too fucking greedy.

Humanity doesn't have to have a hand in something for that something to cause societies collapse. If the clock is a representation of societies collapse, then I see no reason why global warming can't be considered. It is certainly a risk for collapsing society.

Education is free; libraries are free. What you call 'education,' is what I call certification and is priced so high because it is highly valued in America.
You are correct…where there is a will, there is a way.
It is unfortunate that the US is set up that you must have this “certification” from certain institutions when it’s kind of now a BASIC education necessity…it’s a money making scam in many ways.
We need serious reformations.

Humanity doesn't have to have a hand in something for that something to cause societies collapse. If the clock is a representation of societies collapse, then I see no reason why global warming can't be considered. It is certainly a risk for collapsing society.
It isn’t society’s collapse…it’s the end.
We are collapsing and need to stop.
The Bulletin of the Atomic Scientists doesn't use the clock to make any real doomsday predictions. Rather, the clock is a visual metaphor to warn the public about how close the world is to a potentially civilization-ending catastrophe.

Not only that…but why bother to try and fix it when they are now cheap enough to go buy a new one or even a used one for nothing?
Now we have a society that is uneducated AND has access like never before to “technologic” advancements.
But I think we will see some serious changes spurred on by access to information (which is part of why it is now under attack IMHO).
A college degree is basically a requirement for many entry-level positions so why are we setting people so young up for failure and start them off fresh out of school dripping in debt…we’re shooting ourselves in the foot cause we’re too fucking greedy.

Yeah it was a $50 mouse made useless by a 10 cent faulty generic part after I had it only for like a week. It was easier to find the part off a broken $8 mouse in my parts bin than to send it back for the warranty. I get what you're saying though.

Yeah it was a $50 mouse made useless by a 10 cent faulty generic part after I had it only for like a week. It was easier to find the part off a broken $8 mouse in my parts bin than to send it back for the warranty. I get what you're saying though.
I get what you mean too….you go to change your tire now you need a special tool besides a jack and a wrench…hell, I can’t even add water to the radiator because it’s got Organic Acid now…gimme a fucking break.
There is certainly a group of people out there who haven’t the slightest idea of how to build of fix ANYTHING.
I’m sure there are kids who can’t use a can opener if there is no pull tab.

Remember Sears houses? I was just looking at one and it’s amazing I learned that they would ship all the parts via boxcar (1920’s and 30’s) and you would build your house your SELF!
What a concept! They are beautiful homes too.
Anyhow, I think we are starting to see a resurgence in “doing it yourself” and learning how something works instead of just replacing it.
They have “maker” spaces that have popped up lately where people can go and learn from others in your community how to do certain things like weld or use woodworking tools…etc, etc, (they have extensive list of subjects) all free and volunteer…they are interesting.

Last edited:

Surviving, yes. Surviving comfortably? Definitely not. If our environment changes we'll have to change with it. And it's a change that will come at an extreme cost.

Slowing down oil companies while prioritizing other sources of energy.

It causes them discomfort and many prefer delusions over discomfort.

I don't think they were ever necessary. We brought about a false sense of necessity through unnecessary conflict. None.

Surviving, sure, barring a major planet wide catastrophe. Thriving is a different story. I think there will be an even more marked divide between haves and have-nots as the years roll by.

Spiritual awakening of love and compassion where people truly understand that to hurt another is to hurt oneself.

I think there's so much misinformation out there and some people just buy into it without question. It's easier to ignore how serious this all could be and just kick the problem down the road to the next generation

Were they ever necessary to begin with? I don't feel like I can speculate on such a question.