Do You See The Need For A Reform Of Contemporary Education? | INFJ Forum

Do You See The Need For A Reform Of Contemporary Education?

Night Owl

This Bird Has Flown
Apr 9, 2016
MBTI
INFJ
Enneagram
Never
One may want to somewhat generalise and address education as a whole as one thinks it is generally approached/carried out today (i.e. in the West; in Asia; in Europe); or to discuss reform in relation to education within their own country or state/region. One may want to focus on primary (elementary), secondary or tertiary education.

Yet, all in all, however one chooses to answer the question, do you see the need for reform in education? If so, what do you think this reform should look like? What changes would you like to see being made? What changes have been made, and are working or not working? etc.

Several layers come into play, which one might want to consider in thinking of the need for education reform (these just came to mind). Clearly ideal reform has to result in a shift in at least all four areas, arguably starting from both the top (1) and the bottom (4) at once.

1) the paradigm and philosophy underpinning an education system
2) the educational methodology/ies resulting from that
3) the curriculum which attempts to reflect/embody the former two
4) the classroom dynamic, involving teacher and student
Edit: Reflecting on one's own experience in schooling and the things you would have like to be have been different may be a simple way of contributing to this thread.

I'd like to hear people's thoughts, and experiences.

Last edited:
The American education system is particularly fucked.

Learning and the process thereof is not valued.
Types of learning, variations in people's abilities are not accounted for.
The culture of learning institutions reflects that of a prison or mental institution.
The quality of education children receive is stratified economically, fucking over poor people hardcore.
Real world applications are few and far between.
Curriculums are too standardized, preventing people from growth in directions more suitable to their strengths.

Granted I haven't been in school full time for about ten years, but it seems the only thing that has really changed is that everyone has a computer now, which actually creates more problems because teachers don't know how to use them as effectively as they could.

There are great teachers out there. There are pockets of systems that do a fantastic job. But on a whole, we need to change the culture of the system to promote people's strengths instead of fine tuning our cookie cutter design.

Previous stated views on this topic were one-sided. Yes, teachers are not always the problem, but the problems are systematic.

Last edited:
The culture of learning institutions reflects that of a prison or mental institution.
The quality of education children receive is stratified economically, fucking over poor people hardcore.
Curriculums are too standardized, preventing people from growth in directions more suitable to their strengths.
Wyote covered everything I wanted to bring up, but I'm sure I can still add a few things.

I live in a state where we have almost the poorest test scores in the nation for public schools, and some of the highest for private schools. Why such a differential?
I'm an active parent in my nephew's education, and I know that people say the parents need to take on more responsibility instead of leaving it to the teachers. I agree with this, and yet I disagree as well. Most of these "low standardized test score kids" come from households with immigrant parents who don't speak the language, single parent homes, or both parents working more than one job. How can we ask these parents to be active in their education when a good number of them are illiterate themselves? Education goes down the tubes for those poorer families out there.

Now one would say, OK then, let's give them some afterschool programs to help with homework! Great idea in theory, but nothing is free in today's world and volunteers for such things are too few. Yup volunteers, because the school budgets have been so severely cut that if you have to attend a public school for your primary to middle school education, you'll receive such wonderful benefits as furlough days throughout the year because there's not enough money to pay the teachers! Music and art cut entirely from the curriculum! Science only one day a week! PE only one day a week! The school day shortened by 2 hours 4 days a week, and 3 hours one day a week! And this till highschool... no wonder why so many of these kids are falling through the cracks.

Because of this, I've nurtured my nephew's education at home by doing silly science projects together and signing him up for music lessons and math tutoring. But how many families can do that? Not many here. I'm one of the lucky ones that can do these things for my nephew.

Now, how to change everything I gripe about...
I've been a part of the PTA for a few years now, I annoy the hell out of my congress men, I donate my time to help out, I donate resources, school supplies, and money. But is it really making an impact in the grander scheme of things? Things need to change on a state level first, and in such ways where we can provide a nurturing environment for our children. I would love to see the future of education play on our kid's strength as well as challenge their weaknesses. I would love to see teachers as well as all public service workers get their fair share. I would love to see a smaller teacher/student ratio. I would love to see active and accountable parents, and resources for them if need be. I would love to see public schools offering competitive education, and so much more. It's an uphill battle that teachers and parents alike must fight together.

Wyote covered everything I wanted to bring up, but I'm sure I can still add a few things.

I live in a state where we have almost the poorest test scores in the nation for public schools, and some of the highest for private schools. Why such a differential?
I'm an active parent in my nephew's education, and I know that people say the parents need to take on more responsibility instead of leaving it to the teachers. I agree with this, and yet I disagree as well. Most of these "low standardized test score kids" come from households with immigrant parents who don't speak the language, single parent homes, or both parents working more than one job. How can we ask these parents to be active in their education when a good number of them are illiterate themselves? Education goes down the tubes for those poorer families out there.

Now one would say, OK then, let's give them some afterschool programs to help with homework! Great idea in theory, but nothing is free in today's world and volunteers for such things are too few. Yup volunteers, because the school budgets have been so severely cut that if you have to attend a public school for your primary to middle school education, you'll receive such wonderful benefits as furlough days throughout the year because there's not enough money to pay the teachers! Music and art cut entirely from the curriculum! Science only one day a week! PE only one day a week! The school day shortened by 2 hours 4 days a week, and 3 hours one day a week! And this till highschool... no wonder why so many of these kids are falling through the cracks.

Because of this, I've nurtured my nephew's education at home by doing silly science projects together and signing him up for music lessons and math tutoring. But how many families can do that? Not many here. I'm one of the lucky ones that can do these things for my nephew.

Now, how to change everything I gripe about...
I've been a part of the PTA for a few years now, I annoy the hell out of my congress men, I donate my time to help out, I donate resources, school supplies, and money. But is it really making an impact in the grander scheme of things? Things need to change on a state level first, and in such ways where we can provide a nurturing environment for our children. I would love to see the future of education play on our kid's strength as well as challenge their weaknesses. I would love to see teachers as well as all public service workers get their fair share. I would love to see a smaller teacher/student ratio. I would love to see active and accountable parents, and resources for them if need be. I would love to see public schools offering competitive education, and so much more. It's an uphill battle that teachers and parents alike must fight together.

Completely agree! I was being really simplistic this afternoon when I posted my thoughts, and didn't have time to type out proper ideas well. But you're right, it's not so simple as being an active parent. More complicated than it appears. Resources available to parents, schools, and communities make a huge difference. Thank you for mentioning this. :) I just didn't want people dumping on teachers as the real problem again. It's tiring, because teachers rarely have the control over many of the things that are happening although most think teachers are responsible for everything.

Completely agree! I was being really simplistic this afternoon when I posted my thoughts, and didn't have time to type out proper ideas well. But you're right, it's not so simple as being an active parent. More complicated than it appears. Resources available to parents, schools, and communities make a huge difference. Thank you for mentioning this. :) I just didn't want people dumping on teachers as the real problem again. It's tiring, because teachers rarely have the control over many of the things that are happening although most think teachers are responsible for everything.
Oh I know! I hate it when teachers get blamed for everything when the problems stem from much, much deeper places. It extends all the way to our politics. The only way we can change it is of we fight it from its source. I wish America as a whole made education more of a priority, including our teachers.

When I took my dog to training school i realized that it was me that needed the training.
You can't just send your kids to school, they have to be prepared to exert self control and be open to instruction. And you have to hold their feet to the fire.
You also have to let them know that you will not let them languish in a bad environment.

Some great input, particularity from @Free and @Wyote. I agree with you @Gist about the blame game played at the teachers expense.

Teachers can only do so much. For example, if they take creative initiatives they risk loosing their jobs, since strict adherence to the curriculum is sadly deemed paramount in most institutions. Here in Australia, each State has a set curriculum and deviation is not possible. I'd like to see more autonomy given to schools and teachers, involving a more malleable curriculum which can be tailored to particular schools/class rooms/students.

Education, at least in the West, to speak generally, has become reduced to an economic commodity, so that education has become simply about forming individuals to become economic agents in a capitalistic system. That is, contemporary education is almost solely concerned about enabling people to secure a job in a competitive market; with notions of human development and flourishing, involving a simple yet cohesive ethics (i.e. Aristotelian) and practical skills for ordinary living - such as relationship skills etc., mere tack-ons. The philosophy underpinning an education system needs to shift from an economic one, to a more holistic, personal, and fundamentally more human philosophy. Something as simple as: "To be virtuous and rounded" or whatever...

Yes, getting a job is important, but I think it's overstated in the dominant Western education systems I'm aware of, to the detriment of human development - this is why the Arts, good English classes that include exploration into the classics, and the humanities in general are essential. Yet it's more than that, reform needs to run deeper than simply supporting the Arts and humanities. However it's also not as though a school needs to have set philosophy classes or psychology classes (as is the recent trend in Australia), as I think short-term work shops can cover this, and that philosophy and psychology can be taught implicitly through all subjects by means of good education that wells up from a non-economically reducible, simple yet well defined educational philosophy/paradigm, where learning itself is valued in connection with human growth, not just the ends - graduation, a piece of paper, and superficial qualifications that can help secure a job.

Kids go to school and are told that learning is important because it is essential in order to get into university, and therefore to secure a job and a financially secure future. Hence education becomes a financial investment, not a means to actualising a persons potential in all its facets - and a career is a mere part of this. A shift needs to take place in this kind of thinking, to something more, to something noble and holistic. At least parents and teachers have the grass roots power to lead this kind of reform. Even if it doesn't catch on, it doesn't matter, as the effects on individual children, adolescents and young adults can be liberating and empowering; partly because it removes the pressure associated with a kind of bourgeois thinking that values people based on their economic output as opposed to their inherent human dignity and character. The latter of which if valued in a person, automatically cultivates an individual, who in varied ways, becomes a contributing member of society, which includes the economy.

(And no, I'm not a communist, I despise it, just as much as capitalism - although the latter has its place, and both have aspects I agree with).

Having two kids in school now, of course. The problem is that schools cannot be as fluid as the changing environment. That takes years, and unfortunately we live in a non-preventative society, where our government allocates our school funding where they believe it needs to go in order to receive the same amount of funding the next year (or face a cut.) John Oliver made a great episode on education test scores (and how it is a detriment to our children and teachers.)

Living in Arizona, we have a different dilemna (as does NM and TX.) We have some of the lowest test scores and that is not the fault of the teachers, nor the school system. We have a high influx of ESOL children who were not in school previously. Educational Privilege (so this means ALL races who have a decent education: we have many Indians, Jews, Latinos, etc in my area) look at test scores ALONG WITH the amount of free lunches provided by the school before enrolling their child. I'm not stating this to create a divide between social classes, I'm stating a fact. There are parents who do not view education as important as job training, and this trickles down to their children as well. Teachers want ALL children to strive for a better life, they are really our angels on this earth. They are raising the children, they are doing their best to be a positive influence in the life of a child, they have to lead by example when a child is not getting it at home.

Different programs are needed for different schools. Some schools can focus less on ESOL and more on other areas that suit the need of their population. All schools should be equipping the children towards a positive future outcome. So even though we have some of the lowest test scores, I do believe we have some fantastic programs that suit a child's individual needs. If you don't believe public school is doing their job, we have many chartered schools that focus on other areas ... such as music and the arts (normally in a smaller classroom setting.) Elementary Schools have 4 areas: Traditional classroom, Classic classroom, Gifted and Special Education. Junior high has four: Traditional, Honors, Gifted, and Special. High school provides Honors classes and Special ed. What I have learned from living here is you strive for your child to be in Honors or Gifted b/c some of our high schools (which depends on your district) teach college level courses (if your child can test out of high school level.)

The American education system is particularly fucked.

Granted I haven't been in school full time for about ten years, but it seems the only thing that has really changed is that everyone has a computer now, which actually creates more problems because teachers don't know how to use them as effectively as they could.

There are great teachers out there. There are pockets of systems that do a fantastic job. But on a whole, we need to change the culture of the system to promote people's strengths instead of fine tuning our cookie cutter design.

I couldn't have said better.. agreed 100%.

Reactions: Night Owl and Wyote
Yet, all in all, however one chooses to answer the question, do you see the need for reform in education? If so, what do you think this reform should look like? What changes would you like to see being made? What changes have been made, and are working or not working? etc.
Yes, I would completely privatize it all and give lip-service to homeschooling (an excuse to cut taxes), and if that fails, raise taxes and provide a national single-payer Progressive Education in the intellectual tradition and practice of John Dewey and Maria Montessori.

Last edited:
This is targeted toward US schools:

I think that the state needs to do more to ensure that schools serve as a safety net for underprivileged kids. Lunches need to be better quality and free, like what they serve in other countries, instead of just a slice of pizza.

There should be more of an emphasis on language and critical thinking. Philosophy should be taught in high school, and foreign language instruction should begin in elementary school.

Curriculum should be more rigorous starting around age 12. They tend to use 12-14 as filler years and do not teach much, making the excuse that kids cannot learn much since their brains are developing during this time. To me, that seems just like an excuse. Instead, they should be preparing students for high school.

Shop, technical, and trade classes should be electives for students (ideally to get a jump-start on trade schools) instead of sending everyone to college unnecessarily.

Social workers, psychologists, and other professionals should be more active in schools.

High school students should go to school later in the day while elementary students should go to school earlier. Child care services should be available after school.

Most health and biology curriculums should be completely redone. No abstinence only or creationism should be taught. Students should receive quality information on health and should be taught actual science in science classrooms.

History textbooks should be redone to provide a comprehensive and inclusive history of this country and the world instead of whitewashing over brutal details and focusing so much on white men to the exclusion of others. (I know some teachers try hard to combat this). Texas is a huge offender in this regard.

Students should spend fewer hours in class since so much of it is spent on busy work anyway. It would be better to just have teachers give instruction and then move students to study hall or do other activities (i.e. sports, band, whatever) instead of forcing so much class-time where teachers are basically forced to babysit students while they do busywork. It is really difficult to sit and focus for hours on end anyway.

There are other things, but this would be a good start. I realize that all of this would cost quite a bit of money; however, I am not sure it is not feasible. It would be easy to manage if budgets were reallocated, though I know that will not happen given the people who rule this country do not care about educating children.

Reactions: jyrffw54