Disorders. | INFJ Forum

Disorders.

isabellajay

On Holiday
May 3, 2013
MBTI
INFJ
What mental disorder do you think is the most fascinating and why?
Who is your favorite case of that disorder?
I'm calling Ted Bundy with APD/sociopathic behavior.
Basically I'm looking for some good stuff to read.

Well, comparing mental disorders is as apples to oranges, but I personally find the delicacy of separating DID from other disorders with similar symptoms fascinating.

I find wernicke's aphasia very interesting. For some reason it blew my mind more than the other ones i learned about. I dont really know why. And the more i researched it, the more confused and impressed i was with how language and thought are intertwined and seemingly so localised in various parts of the brain. Ive never met someone effected by this aphasia, but i found the case study videos we had incredible to observe.

http://www.theaphasiacenter.com/2012/01/what-is-wernickes-aphasia/

Dissociative fugue is a bit fascinating to me, and I've also had it myself.

The DSM-IV defines[1] as:
sudden, unexpected travel away from home or one's customary place of work, with inability to recall one's past,
confusion about personal identity, or the assumption of a new identity, or
significant distress or impairment.

The Merck Manual[6] defines Dissociative Fugue as:
One or more episodes of amnesia in which the inability to recall some or all of one's past and either the loss of one's identity or the formation of a new identity occur with sudden, unexpected, purposeful travel away from home.

In support of this definition, the Merck Manual[6] further defines dissociative amnesia as:
An inability to recall important personal information, usually of a traumatic or stressful nature, that is too extensive to be explained by normal forgetfulness.

One of the more interesting things about it is in some cases the fugue and new identity is so convincing, and the lack of memory so complete, that it cannot be diagnosed until the sufferer gets their former memory back somehow. They are this new person and everyone else thinks they are too, and nobody knows it. It's almost like some realistic and plausible delusion which can call into question whether you actually know anything about anything.

More of a symptom than disorder: Psychosis. Specifically, hallucinations. I'm drawn to (and I'm sure other Ni-doms here as well) to a fantasy world, a break in everyday "reality" and what nightmares the mind is capable of conjuring.

Dissociative fugue is a bit fascinating to me, and I've also had it myself.

One of the more interesting things about it is in some cases the fugue and new identity is so convincing, and the lack of memory so complete, that it cannot be diagnosed until the sufferer gets their former memory back somehow. They are this new person and everyone else thinks they are too, and nobody knows it. It's almost like some realistic and plausible delusion which can call into question whether you actually know anything about anything.

So, hypothetically, this may have already happened to you. :)

I don't know what it's called, but the "Peter Pan" syndrome - whereby males try to cultivate an artificial prolonged, or extended childhood always baffles me.

I think the actor Robin Williams is the classic example. He even starred in a film about Peter Pan - it was excruciating.