Death Stranding

dragulagu

Galactic Explorer
Mar 8, 2019
Andromeda
MBTI
INTJ
Enneagram
So it is out now. Metacritic is showing mixed ratings, so I wonder if anyone here has experience with the game (and/or is already playing it)?

https://www.metacritic.com/game/playstation-4/death-stranding

Would like to buy it for the story/atmosphere/Kojima Wackery but if the gameplay is bothersome...not sure whether it's worth shelling out the pricetag.

I haven't played it but I'm dying to know what people think! I've been intrigued by this game for a while. Mads Mikkelsen looks badass in the trailers. The art is amazing. Kojima is a big talent.
Mayyyyybe too scary for me. It depends on how far it leans into horror movie vibes of slicing everyone up for no reason, versus psychological or post-apocalyptic sci-fi scary.

It may go on sale around Christmas or just after. Who knows.

I haven't played it but I'm dying to know what people think! I've been intrigued by this game for a while. Mads Mikkelsen looks badass in the trailers. The art is amazing. Kojima is a big talent.
Mayyyyybe too scary for me. It depends on how far it leans into horror movie vibes of slicing everyone up for no reason, versus psychological or post-apocalyptic sci-fi scary.

It may go on sale around Christmas or just after. Who knows.
Yep, dying to know as well, just from the past experience of his games that there will be some nice cinematical / psychological mindboggery. I know a couple friends who'll probably be playing it, but have not yet bought it. So currently in the unknown and the pricetag is just too much to just dive in. Hopefully on sale in Christmas, indeed (or perhaps wait a bit for others to have finished it).

Reactions: Ginny and Asa
The problem with this game is that nobody understands it lol
I've even watched a lot of footage and stuff and I still don't really get wtf is going on.
Just looks like another kind of weird MGS game with giant ghosty demon things and a baby for some reason.
MGS 4079

The problem with this game is that nobody understands it lol
I've even watched a lot of footage and stuff and I still don't really get wtf is going on.
Just looks like another kind of weird MGS game with giant ghosty demon things and a baby for some reason.
MGS 4079

Read the wiki page plot summary. It's fascinating.

Same here. I tend to stick with the basics still - cards, chess, sudoku...

That's my SO. Chess is his thing. He plays chess on an app with people all over the world. Classic INTJ. I played chess as a kid, but I've never been that interested in board games. (I call them "bored games".) Sometimes I play chess or Hnefatafl with my SO.

Some video games are like participating in a movie. Instead of watching, I am playing an active role in my entertainment. When I started gaming I switched to watching movies/TV that specifically interest me and are worth spending time watching. If the movie doesn't meet expectations I turn it off. It's the same with a game, if it doesn't interest me, is too simple, boring, etc, I turn it off. Gaming has changed my perspective on how I use my leisure time and how wasteful watching TV as a pastime (just as a habit) is. Death Stranding seems to be one of the most "movie-like" of video games yet and even includes several actors.

That's my SO. Chess is his thing. He plays chess on an app with people all over the world. Classic INTJ. I played chess as a kid, but I've never been that interested in board games. (I call them "bored games".) Sometimes I play chess or Hnefatafl with my SO.

Some video games are like participating in a movie. Instead of watching, I am playing an active role in my entertainment. When I started gaming I switched to watching movies/TV that specifically interest me and are worth spending time watching. If the movie doesn't meet expectations I turn it off. It's the same with a game, if it doesn't interest me, is too simple, boring, etc, I turn it off. Gaming has changed my perspective on how I use my leisure time and how wasteful watching TV as a pastime (just as a habit) is. Death Stranding seems to be one of the most "movie-like" of video games yet and even includes several actors.

Psh, chess is such an entry level INTJ game. Us hardcore INTJs play Go, or Mahjong.
Games that require high level abstract thinking and strategic planning. And I'm definitely not saying that because I'm bad at chess.

As for Death Stranding - have not played it yet. Looks really interesting, and I'm a big fan of Kojima's work,but I'm currently playing Outer Worlds and won't be picking up another video game for a while.
I do think reviews for this time of game aren't very useful. It's like trying to rate something like Jacque Tati's Playtime. It's such a surreal and complex piece of art that it's value can't be measured with a arbitrary number.
Not that I think those kind of reviews are worthless. Just that they're not equipped for this sort of work.

@Tin Man @Maikl Jexocuha - Uh oh!

He plays Go and Sudoko, too, but it is easier to find other people who play chess, plus the better your opponent the more thought has to go into it. I worked at a place in my early twenties that introduced me to Mahjong and I've been playing it since, but not so much since I started playing video games.

I agree about reviews for this type of game, but there will likely be some lengthy reviews out soon.

There were some theories as to what is going on in the game with the babies and so on, but I don't remember. (It must have been on the outside xbox/xtra YT channels a few months back.) I'm sure as hell interested in the imagery and wackiness of it, but sometimes it doesn't get me to want to play it (mostly for lack of time).

I also wonder how much of P.T. can be introduced into it, whether it has somehow to do with it (just thinking about the fetus in the sink and both of the games featuring Norman Reedus), or if it is a different thing altogether.

Reactions: Daustus
@Ginny, the babies are a link between the world of the living and the world of the dead and if you carry one around with you you can see the things from the world of the dead.

Reactions: Daustus and Ginny
Kotaku has a good review on it: https://kotaku.com/death-stranding-the-kotaku-review-1839474313

It costs a lot of materials to build a bridge or a shelter. These structures also take damage over time and must be repaired. But you aren’t the only one in this world who is building bridges over coursing rivers, or hanging ziplines in rocky mountaintops. Death Stranding will put you on a server with other players, each of them building their own structures that you can share and use. You can even deliver packages that they’ve dropped, or leave behind packages you can’t deliver yourself. Every time Sam connects another town in the world to the fictional chiral network, Death Stranding will connect you to the real-life network of other players and their structures.

Sharing is rewarded. These structures exist in a pseudo-social network where players can “like” those that they find useful. The more “likes” you get, the better. It contributes to a progression system that uses a variety of criteria—mission completion time, the size of a cargo haul, completion of special conditions—to increase a player rank that eventually gives rewards, like the ability to carry more items or run down slopes without slipping as much.

Eventually, I reached a particularly treacherous part of the game where most of my deliveries involved hiking through thick snowfall. A few players had braved this area before me, but I found many of their structures to be incomplete. A makeshift series of magnetic ziplines covered some peaks, but there were no connecting ziplines on the most obvious paths. The foundation of a more complex system was there; all it needed was some work to become the thing it could be. Instead of progressing forward with the story, I gathered the materials I needed and ventured through BT territory to place the required ziplines, ones that could allow travel over the most dangerous areas, the areas that Death Stranding clearly expected players to pass through.

It was not easy. Time and time again, I was dragged to the ground by shadowy ghosts and pulled into a stream of tar that rushed me away from my destination. I fired bullets coated in my own blood and threw grenades containing my sweat at massive beasts until I somehow managed to get where I wanted to go. Over the course of several hours, digital blood and sweat literally spent, multiple hikes through the worst conditions accomplished, I connected my ziplines with the broader network. Anyone who came after me would be able to use them, crossing over the mountains easily and flying over the BT’s feasting ground. I’m proud of those ziplines, of the work that went into making them. I’m thankful to the strangers whose devices I literally connected with to make something that would benefit not only us, but everyone who stumbled through the treacherous paths after us. There was no real point to doing this, other that it could be done and I thought it should be done. I needed to do it. I needed to build something.

So, the gameplay is meant to be intentionally annoying for the players as the game's purpose is to rebuild and maintain a dangerous bare world in the future after a spot-apocalyptic event. If players work well together that world would be become more enjoyable (and I would assume it will invite players to explore the world further). If, however, players would not put their time in the game or rather in the effort to make it easier for each-other, that game will be left as a frustrating experience.

It's an ambitious gamble from Kojima to try out the social concept, props for him to test it out. Anyway, will buy the game, but not immediately...I don't have the patience anymore for that kind of gameplay but the world/concept/story seems too interesting. Hopefully enough players will have put their effort in the game by then and they fixed the "balance" issues in the game :yum:.

Screen Shot 2019-11-11 at 19.33.38 copy.png

Oh please...lol

Oh please...teach you the ways of the Mastermind (tm).
Very well, but I'll need proof that you have an IQ over 140, a 50,000 word thesis on how INTJs are better than INTPs, and a custom carved chess set with each piece representing a character from Atlas Shrugged.

You have 48 hours, starting now.

@Tin Man @Maikl Jexocuha - Uh oh!

He plays Go and Sudoko, too, but it is easier to find other people who play chess, plus the better your opponent the more thought has to go into it. I worked at a place in my early twenties that introduced me to Mahjong and I've been playing it since, but not so much since I started playing video games.

I agree about reviews for this type of game, but there will likely be some lengthy reviews out soon.

I was just teasing. I have a few NT friends who've tried, unsuccessfully, to get me into chess. Just never had the patience for it.
Couldn't get into Go or Sudoko either. I'm such a low level INTJ *sobs*