Dark creatures, monsters, supernatural or paranormals in movies/tv? | INFJ Forum

Dark creatures, monsters, supernatural or paranormals in movies/tv?

Gaze

Donor
Sep 5, 2009
MBTI
INFPishy
So, I'm watching the BBCA series '"Merlin". Haven't seen it in a while, but decided to do a Netflix marathon. I've watched almost all the episodes before, so now on my second watch after a year, now I am looking at the supernatural and paranormal creatures featured in the episodes so it got me thinking about the most fascinating or interesting versions of these beings we've seen in film. Which ones are your favorite?

I like ones that are not just violent but have some reason for being behind their existence, and have a soul so to speak. Even if they are evil, there is purpose and intelligence behind their existence.

For example, in season 1 of Merlin, they have a Griffin, Wraith (Tristan), and Dark fae from Avalon. Each of these beings were interesting to watch because they were insidious. I like the TV version of supernatural creatures better mostly because they don't rely as heavenly on special effects. The actors have to really bring these characters to life with their facial expressions, wardrobe and makeup, and not easily hide behind movie magic.

But one of the coolest dark creatures of all are the Weeping Angels from Doctor Who episode "Blink".
Weeping_Angel_head1.jpg

Reactions: PintoBean
I've always been a fan of creature lore. When I was little I collected this series of toys called Monster In My Pocket, and I always played (and beat) the video game.

I think the effect or "ability" of the weeping angel resonates with a lot of people because it's an effect often used in video games. It's been implanted in our psyche. That very same concept was in the Monster In My Pocket game, as well as many other variants of things in lore throughout history. It was captured very well (creepily) in Doctor Who.

I particularly like seeing references to more obscure things. The hippogriff, dragon, harpy etc have all been done a bunch but I get excited when I see some reference to a catoblepas, tengu or manticore