Customer Service Alternatives | INFJ Forum

Customer Service Alternatives

jackdaw

One
Oct 14, 2009
MBTI
INFJ
Hi... I'm new...
I'm doing poorly at my customer service job since I'm told I look unhappy, seem detached, space out, etc. I am, however, good at small tasks, I've got a college education, and I'm perfectly willing to work. I'm just bad at not letting my feelings reach my face, if you know what I mean.
Given the economy, though, most of the entry-level jobs that are available are customer-service oriented. Anybody have any tips on how to survive as an INFJ in the service sector, or suggestions on an alternative job to take? My college degree is such that I will not be able to take a position in my chosen career field (linguistics) until after graduate school, which I have not yet started.
-J

i'm scared i might have to go into customer service :-(
because i haven't been able to find other opportunities lately

but my first job was entry-level and technical.. i had my own room. with a door. i was just making prints on fabrics. very suitable for introverts ^^ i used to sing while working if i wanted to.

can you do internships first, jackdaw? and work your way up. in your chosen field

You have to make customer service excellence your purpose. Grasp onto it as an ideal. Read up on it - there are plenty of great books available - the "For Dummies" one is good, for example. Also, if they are available through work or otherwise, attend seminars and training events on how to provide better service. If you idealise providing excellent service, it will become part of your core values and it will become much easier for you to provide it. You will be so focussed on the customer, that your own feelings won't enter into it at the time that you are serving, so won't show up on your face. You may have time to reflect on your interactions later, which is a good idea, as you can make notes about what you did well and what you'd like to improve for the next time. You certainly can't stop being who you are, and I don't recommend trying that, but you can become excellent at service, even and perhaps especially as an INFJ. Becoming excellent will bring the provision of service into your comfort zone, so that it will come naturally to you. Like any skill, you have to work at it, know what a high standard is and consistently aim for it.
I'm in a customer facing role in an academic library service. It's non stop some days. When I started working in that role several years ago It was hard at first until I made the decision to be the best I could be, at which point it became much easier, just because I was focussing on what I could do to improve rather than on my fear of continual failure. It's true in my experience that if you set yourself specific targets within a role - such as "I want to be the best in the team at fixing the photocopier when it jams" or even "the best at dealing with angry customers", that these focus areas will become your strengths and it will really raise your game. So pick something you'd like to do better, focus on it, and be amazed as you steadily become the expert in that area. Good luck.

You have to make customer service excellence your purpose. Grasp onto it as an ideal. Read up on it - there are plenty of great books available - the "For Dummies" one is good, for example. Also, if they are available through work or otherwise, attend seminars and training events on how to provide better service. If you idealise providing excellent service, it will become part of your core values and it will become much easier for you to provide it. You will be so focussed on the customer, that your own feelings won't enter into it at the time that you are serving, so won't show up on your face. You may have time to reflect on your interactions later, which is a good idea, as you can make notes about what you did well and what you'd like to improve for the next time. You certainly can't stop being who you are, and I don't recommend trying that, but you can become excellent at service, even and perhaps especially as an INFJ. Becoming excellent will bring the provision of service into your comfort zone, so that it will come naturally to you. Like any skill, you have to work at it, know what a high standard is and consistently aim for it.
I'm in a customer facing role in an academic library service. It's non stop some days. When I started working in that role several years ago It was hard at first until I made the decision to be the best I could be, at which point it became much easier, just because I was focussing on what I could do to improve rather than on my fear of continual failure. It's true in my experience that if you set yourself specific targets within a role - such as "I want to be the best in the team at fixing the photocopier when it jams" or even "the best at dealing with angry customers", that these focus areas will become your strengths and it will really raise your game. So pick something you'd like to do better, focus on it, and be amazed as you steadily become the expert in that area. Good luck.

I agree with this, having spent the last eight years in retail and management. It's not what I want out of life, but it's definitely something I think everyone should do. It gives us a different perspective on people and ourselves. Use your abilities to your advantage, whether that be anticipating and empathizing with the needs of others, ability to put people at ease, etc. I had a hard time at first getting over timidity, but the customer service industry has really helped me in this area. Good luck to you!

Why can't you become a translator?

Do a stint teaching english?

Why can't you become a translator?

Do a stint teaching english?

That's actually an excellent idea. While you're in-between degrees, going overseas to teach English in Japan, Taiwan, and certain countries in Europe, is the thing to do. It also pays rather well.

Just make sure you thoroughly research your agency before signing on.

I was thinking of doing this myself. Unfortunately, when it comes to planning the next stage of my career, I'm a little constrained for time.

Or you could come to Darwin, AUS, and be my interpreter as I hit on european and asian backpackers.
I'll pay you in food, you can sleep in my bed, and read my books.
If you're good, I'll let you use my computer.

That's actually an excellent idea. While you're in-between degrees, going overseas to teach English in Japan, Taiwan, and certain countries in Europe, is the thing to do. It also pays rather well.

Just make sure you thoroughly research your agency before signing on.

I was thinking of doing this myself. Unfortunately, when it comes to planning the next stage of my career, I'm a little constrained for time.

I am looking to do this in Italy on a friend's advice. She did it for two years in Sicily and I think I might have to as well. Or work on an organic farm in France for a few months. I'm weighing my options.