Cure for HIV | INFJ Forum

Cure for HIV

Eventhorizon

Permanently relocated
Banned
May 19, 2013
MBTI
INTJ
But I thought this was how God was punishing the gays? How did we outsmart....

The article states that human trials could start within three years. It would be wonderful if this actually came to fruition and yielded good results.

I just hope this cure if it indeed happens is available to all and not just those who can afford to have their genes manipulated.

Reactions: Fluffball
Great news! My thesis research is very much related to this. Remember ladies and gents, there's no cure just yet, and there's never going to be a substitute for condoms for protecting you and your partners from all sorts of different things. Play safe as much as you can, especially with people you don't know very well.

Use some of that intuition to read the depth of an intj post.

We need to go deeper...

image.php

It amazes me already that it used to be a horrible death sentence and now many people are living normal lives with barely detectable viral counts. It used to be considered one of the worst diseases to get, now it is so manageable compared to many cancers. Not that I am advocating getting HIV obviously, I just can't believe how much the treatment has improved.

I guess the cure doesn't involve marijuana.

[video=youtube;2pp17E4E-O8]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2pp17E4E-O8[/video]

Reactions: Free
It amazes me already that it used to be a horrible death sentence and now many people are living normal lives with barely detectable viral counts. It used to be considered one of the worst diseases to get, now it is so manageable compared to many cancers. Not that I am advocating getting HIV obviously, I just can't believe how much the treatment has improved.

I completely get what you're saying and I don't write to contradict you exactly, just to give my ideas about it. In saying this I especially recognise that you say it's not a reason to go out and get this illness. My research is about attitudes related to decisions to use condoms so I don't read a lot of technical scientific material about HIV/AIDS, but I have read huge quantities of anecdotal, personal-experience related opinions and other ideas about it, sometimes better or worse reasoned. The idea that life with HIV/AIDS is a normal life, and that it is not a death sentence, does seem to sometimes represent a significant part of people's reasoning about why they don't find it important to protect themselves from exposure to the virus.

I started doing this research because of an editorial I saw on a current affairs journalism program that presented life with HIV/AIDS as a normal life. The sense I got from the editorial was that this idea maybe comes from a place of good intentions of wanting to end discrimination and prejudice against people with HIV/AIDS. But I find it to be erroneous. I think it's not accurate to describe it as a normal life. You will need to take medications every day and as the illness progresses there will be more medications and they will be more expensive, even prohibitively expensive. You will think about who you can potentially expose to the virus and why. There's nothing normal about living a life like that. I think that as things currently stand, as there is no cure, that yes, it is still a horrible death sentence, because you will die prematurely of illnesses related to it. Treatments have progressed significantly, it is truly amazing how far they have progressed, but it's still one of the worst diseases to get.

My friend somehow found out from her ex-boyfriend that he was HIV positive and it was terrible. She was confused and lost sleep for a few days.The cheapest way to know if you have HIV, hepa b, hepa c, and syphilis and etc is to donate blood. There are anonymous labs for HIV, it's in the law. She has passed all tests and they were negative (proceeded she tests here www.hivrna.com).She was very lucky, they found nothing . I think best we can do is only sleep with people we love and trust.

http://www.foxnews.com/health/2016/04/02/cure-for-hiv-reportedly-3-years-away.html

I dont personally know anyone with HIV. I have known more people than I care to who had cancer and who lost the fight.
Still curing any major disease should give everyone hope. Mankind can at times be the instrument of its own destiny.

Actually, HIV is already cured, a campaign similar to polio is perfectly doable.
Someone I knew that was a chemical engineer, he married is boyfriend that had HIV.
He said that with the combinations of drugs and how powerful they are, if he took PREP there was no realistic chance of infection.
Saying he didn't feel like that route, but that no-condom is possible with todays medication with a infected partner. There are some talks about being more relaxed about who can get PREP.
https://www.cdc.gov/hiv/basics/prep.html
So ask for PrEP if you are traveling somewhere with high risk, it's like birth control for HIV incase you get raped, stabbed or exposed in other ways. Infection risks is highest when one or both have a reduced immune system, tearing and wounds increases it aby a lot. Between strong healthy individuals where one has HIV, the risk is actually very low. With AIDS or being otherwise compromised vulnerable, the risk increases. So comfort seeking behaviour when being sick and so on his a huge risk factor.

Lots of stuff with HIV that is strange, like there being several types some of which are more common in the origin countries where being infected by both makes it less dangerous, kind of like with HEP.

Possible to get rid of HIV in the western world with mandated testing, given how invasive airport security is on so many levels.
Mandating tests from risk areas when landing in your home country isn't impossible and a rather quick thing.
Then you have the whole range of stigma and the religious propganda about God's punishment that may the only reason why it's not done.
This and the "HIV" business becoming regulated and put to an end.

Be more scared of antibiotic resistant things.

Last edited:
Just recently a second person had a long remission from HIV (meaning that no new HIV viral particles have been replicating in his body) after a haematopoetic stem cell transplant (transplantation of bone marrow, basically. All the precursors to new blood cells are from a donor and don't have a receptor that the viral particle needs to enter the cell) It's a major breakthrough in the treatment of HIV.

Sources:
https://www.thelancet.com/journals/lanhiv/article/PIIS2352-3018(20)30069-2/fulltext

https://www.bbc.com/news/amp/health-51804454

Reactions: ZcM4xzkjgzCjytBc