Could you please help me out and type me? | INFJ Forum

Could you please help me out and type me?

Oct 23, 2013
MBTI
ENXP
...I know this might seem pushy, but it would be really nice if you guys could type/Enneagram me.

Okay, so before we go further, I'm 99% sure that I'm XNXP... I'm probably an extrovert, but it really, really depends and swings widely... I identify pretty evenly with INTP, ENTP, INFP, and ENFP descriptions (with a slight swing towards ENTP, but that's personal bias, I am assuming). I even identify a little bit with the pragmatism and specialization of interest of INTJs, but not enough to consider that as my MBTI.

Okay, now on to my own description of myself, which is obviously very subjective and if you actually read all of this I will be shocked and also happy.

I should point out that the main reason I'm doing this is because me and my friend are writing something right now wherein some of the characters are based off ourselves; there is a psychological evaluation at some point and MBTI is involved. I'm trying to type the character based off me (for all intents and purposes, really, he kind of IS me). My eventual goal is to become a writer/comedian, so I'm getting started with some short films and humorous stories.

I have no idea if I have some kind of un-diagnosed manic depression or whatever, but I'm not taking any medication currently, so that won't skew anything (although I've long suspected I have some form of ADHD; can you guys look into that as well?).

I basically have several "modes" that I can get into, depending on my mood:
-Quirky, self-deprecating, kind of awkward kid, friendly and most people like him, but are a little weirded out at the same time, makes a lot of witty jokes and likes wordplay
-Enthused, talkative, free-associating, bursting with ideas, acts like a hyper six year old, overly talkative, cannot sit still, blurts stuff out, is sometimes rude, makes a lot of purposefully bad puns and jokes to get a groaner reaction
-Spacey Cloud Cuckoolander who quietly lives in his own world, doodles comics, daydreams a lot, zones out in conversations sometimes, VERY easy to distract, surreal, absurdist, imaginative
-Dry, deadpan, overly analytical, unemotional Deadpan Snarker (this is how I act when I am depressed)
-Detail-obsessive, neurotic perfectionist who blows up at very petty inconveniences and has trouble controlling his emotions (this is normally when I am very stressed out)
-Logical, big-picture, smooth-talking, devil's advocate, superficially charming lawyer type who believes the truth is relative and can talk and debate his way out of anything, and the people around him in circles
-Argumentative, aggressive, very satirical writer, provocative, lots of black comedy, almost a troll type, good at both riffing on people and things as well as incredibly well-planned and organized pranks (I usually put this face on for my school show; I do a man-on-the-street bit where the goal is to purposely confuse and anger people. I really like doing it a lot).
-The kind of person who will throw himself downstairs for a comedy skit with no regards to the consequences (based on a true story).

I am leaning towards being an extrovert, but I tested as introverted for a very long time because I am so wrapped up in my own ideas and imagination a lot, and I tend to be alone for long periods of time. The problem is, the longer I am alone, or doing nothing, the more depressed and tired I feel. The more action I take and the more people I talk to, the better I feel, so I think extroversion is probably the best bet.

My main conflict is with the Ti/Fe and Fi/Te axes; my decisions involving thought or feeling are usually split right down the middle. 50% of the time, I believe the logical thing is the right thing to do, I admire people with good critical thinking skills, my mother has called me "one of the most rational and level-headed people [she] knows," and I can rip illogical people apart in arguments. In debates, I despise appeal to emotion and lean heavily towards appeal to logic, and I can occasionally be morally flexible.

However, the OTHER 50% of the time, I admire people with deep convictions and I have very strong ethics. There are a number of things that can get me in a heated argument with someone at any time; homophobes and bullies usually get the brunt of it. I can get very emotionally attached to things, ideas, and people.

I've trained myself to shrug off stupid criticisms like "you're a fag" and "go kill yourself;" it's meaningless and most of it is actually pretty funny (I get a very polarized response from my segment on the school show. Don't worry, the other half love me!). I also get a huge kick out of people getting mad at me, and I am an inherent non-conformist, sometimes even being deliberately contrarian. HOWEVER, when the criticism is actually constructive and personalized? I am INCREDIBLY sensitive to it. I do improvisational comedy and after every show I ask our group leader for a critique, and I always try to adjust myself and my performance accordingly. There are certain areas, usually inconsequential to actual financial and personal success later in life, I want to excel in; the most important of these areas to me is comedy.

I have a very hard time organizing myself, paying attention for almost any period of time, prioritizing things, etc, and I can make a lot of really dumb, careless mistakes. But sometimes I enter into a really weird mode where I am INCREDIBLY focused on what I am doing, usually when I'm doodling or writing scripts. I can get almost unbearably perfectionist and neurotic in that instance, and it's one of the only times I can tune the world out. Most of the time, I constantly have a "buzz" going on in my head of racing thoughts that come all at the same time. Usually I'm very easily distracted and talkative; sometimes I even forget what class I'm walking to.

Ever since I was a kid, I had a lot of problems in school, but I'm often told by my classmates how surprised they are when they get better grades than me. Kids I've known since third grade still think I'm smarter than them, which is nice, I guess. I had a hard time following directions in class and always fidgeted in my seat, a lot of times saying "screw it" and getting up to move around the room. I always called teachers out on their stupid mistakes and BS, and I was always an avid and incredibly fast reader (college-level in the fourth grade), although sometimes I'd get so caught up in reading I would race through doing things improperly just to get back to my book. Whenever we'd read things for school, though, I never finished it and had to go on Sparknotes. I procrastinate to a SEVERE level, and even today I do assignments the class it's due, seconds before my teacher collects it. I still have trouble sitting still in class, and at home I find myself pacing a lot to work off energy, but it doesn't seem to work.

I am aggressively independent and I cannot even put into words how much I hate people who are condescending, arrogant, pretentious, bossy, and/or full of themselves. A lot of my contempt for this type of person came with my family's Christian church (although I was baptized and subsequently raised Catholic for several years, and have a lot of Jews and Mormons in my family as well-- a lot of my friends note my Jewfro). Authority does nothing but agitate me, although the fact that they are pissed off by my chronic lateness is another resent-creating factor. I have been called disrespectful or a smart-ass for at least twelve years by at least a hundred people, and I believe nothing is too sacred to joke about.

I get irritated by a lot of small things and I can have emotional blow-ups over things that in retrospect seem very petty, but I am very calm, rational, and cool-headed in elements that are actually very important.

When it comes to school subjects, I'm good at drama (although I only did Rimprov [stupid, pointless class, but I got to slack off with my friends an hour a day] freshman year) and I'm a pretty good argumentative essay and creative writer, and I'm a pretty good speller with a fairly wide vocabulary, but I can be disgustingly awful with grammar. I'm really good at math when it comes to the more abstract levels (I had the highest grade in any of my math teacher's classes for a while) but I flat-out failed seventh and eighth grade math. It was incomprehensibly boring. My worst subject is usually science, actually. In history, I excel in debates but I have a hard time remembering things during tests. Despite this, I have gotten exceptional grades in every single AP test I have taken and I got a 2060 out of 2400 the first time I took my SATs, without studying; the highest of all my friends.

Speaking of my friends, that's the part I was putting off. It seems sometimes like I'm entirely asocial and I don't have friends around my house a lot, but at school I talk to a lot of people and I actually seem to be fairly popular. I try to engage my friends on an emotional level always; to me, figuring people out and connecting with them are inextricably linked. There are people I hate, yes, but I do feel like that is also an emotional connection. Despite being a straight guy (potential offensive stereotype alert: SHUT UP) I get along really well with girls and I don't have a problem with "Friendzones"-- 9/10 times I have no difficulty being just friends with a girl, and if I do, I flat-out tell her that so we can sort out our problems.

Despite this, I only have two or three people who I would classify as close friends at all. One is someone who I am almost sure is EXFP and is my best friend in the whole wide world; he's the one I'm writing this thing with and we have been tight as brothers since the day we met. I'm also very close with his older brother, who I think is INFJ but I'm not positive. My other best friends are INFP and ISTP; they are much more laid-back than me and serve to rein me in whenever I get too hyper or "into" something. Ironically, both hope to become military engineers, which is something so far beyond my comprehension I almost immediately tune out when they talk about it no matter how hard I try to listen.

As far as family structure, I have two still-married parents and two younger brothers. One is thirteen, very athletic and popular (especially with girls), and also better at school than I EVER was, and my youngest brother, who is five and is a blonde spitfire. He's a lot like I was at his age, but even more hyper and obsessed with "spooky stuff" and Halloween. He's my favorite brother, but I love 'em both equally. My dad is very hands-on, logical, "explain this to me step-by-step" and is also the reason my sense of humor is so full of quirks, puns, and irony. He does prosthetics and orthotics, and likes to help people for a living. My mom, I think, is a combination of emotionally volatile and SEVERE ADHD. She's a lot of fun to be around when she's happy, but she has no fuse and an explosive temper. When I was six (and make no mistake, I was a really bad kid and deserved it), she pretended to put me up for adoption by leaving me in front of a church in the rain in our Detroit neighborhood. She came back in like five minutes, though. I talk about it in my stand-up.

This might not be significant, but I have a HUGE soft spot for animals.

I know that all seems very emotionally sensitive, but trust me, I can be blunt and snarky and sarcastic and cutting and mean with the rest of 'em with no remorse, if the person is an idiot and deserves it. In addition, I am SCATHINGLY critical of things I dislike.

I also watch a lot of cartoons like Looney Tunes, the Simpsons, South Park, Adventure Time, Regular Show, and Gravity Falls, because I like animation a lot. The fluidity and infinite imaginative possibilities do a lot for me.

It's weird, though, I normally hate fantasy and sci-fi and prefer more down-to-earth sorts of entertainment. I read a lot of non-fiction and watch a lot of "slice-of-life" movies, like Clerks, Slacker, and Office Space.

I've taken the cognitive functions test, and the only consistent thing is my INCREDIBLY high preference for Ne, so don't whine about that.

As for Se and Si, it really depends on the situation. My memory is either flawlessly photographic or nonexistent, and I despise all sports (except for Calvinball, of course) but love hurting myself terribly on camera.

I like attention a lot, but not necessarily all kinds.

I'm also an atheist, just for the record.

I identify a lot with NT mindsets, but I find myself more attracted to fantasy and human interactions than mechanical systems, computers and inventions. I also identify with NF mindset, but it can get far too self-righteous and idealistic for me.

Fictional characters I identify with include Calvin from Calvin and Hobbes, Holden Caulfield, Dipper and Mabel from Gravity Falls, Randal Graves from Clerks, Tom Sawyer, Fred and George Weasley, Bugs Bunny, and Nick Naylor from Thank You For Smoking. Some of my favorite currently active comedians are David Cross, Sarah Silverman, Zach Galifianakis, Patton Oswalt, Bo Burnham, Louis CK, Maria Bamford, John Mulaney, and Doug Stanhope, although there are easily a hundred more I could name. I have too many favorite movies and TV shows, although Community, Mr. Show, Arrested Development, the [adult swim] lineup and the films of Kevin Smith, Woody Allen, and Richard Linklater are frontrunners.

I wrote a hell of a lot. Please help me guys. I apologize too late for the immense amount of reading you've done. I don't think I could have done it.

The following are just my impressions. Not an expert but I hope it helps.

My main conflict is with the Ti/Fe and Fi/Te axes; my decisions involving thought or feeling are usually split right down
the middle. 50% of the time, I believe the logical thing is the right thing to do, I admire people with good critical thinking skills,
Sounds like you're Ti/Fe. I see more focus on Fe in your statements. You seem to value people and feelings more than thoughts or ideas. Yes, you can be logical or critical. As an INFP(?), I can also be very critical and more logical than many who claim to be geniuses at logic :D. So, having a strong interest in logical thinking does not preclude being an FP. People too often confuse having a naturally preference for particular functions with the inability to display others. An INFP may place more value on feelings or values but will still have the ability to be just as logical as anyone else.

Speaking of my friends, that's the part I was putting off. It seems sometimes like I'm entirely asocial and I don't have friends around my house a lot, but at school I talk to a lot of people and I actually seem to be fairly popular. I try to engage my friends on an emotional level always; to me, figuring people out and connecting with them are inextricably linked.
Wanting to connect with people is not entirely the same as having a need for social interaction to function effectively. I am an introvert and I like socializing but in small doses. So, keep in mind that being introvert is not about not needing any social interaction or not wanting to interact or connect. It's more about from where you derive much of your energy. I've heard certain types of Es are similar to Is. Your need for time alone may be reflective of your Ti, needing time to process your thoughts, before sharing them with anyone. So, this would confirm the Fe/Ti dynamic.

I identify a lot with NT mindsets, but I find myself more attracted to fantasy and human interactions than mechanical systems, computers and inventions. I also identify with NF mindset, but it can get far too self-righteous and idealistic for me.
This suggests Ne vs. Ni. As a supposed INFP, I also identify with NT mindsets but my thoughts tend toward imagination more. Remember how you feel about type characteristics is not the same as whether it's a naturally functioning part of you. NF usually signals someone who is naturally drawn to fantasy and ideals. However TPs have their fair share of interest in enjoying analyzing possibilities or Ne.

However, question is do you identify more with Ne or Ni? My impression is that you sound more Ne and Si. This could confirm your ENTP.

I feel like I value thoughts and ideas more than people and feelings, but I focus on the feelings that my thoughts and ideas provoke in people. Most of my judgments end up being subjective (this is what works for ME, instead of what WORKS).

I feel like I value thoughts and ideas more than people and feelings, but I focus on the feelings that my thoughts and ideas provoke in people. Most of my judgments end up being subjective (this is what works for ME, instead of what WORKS).

I think this statement is what made me think the opposite. Valuing the feelings thought provokes is more feeling oriented. It means you care on some level more about the effects of those thoughts on others. And I used everything in your post to come up with my perception of Fe as a preference. It's noticeable in the way you write. I am also sensing that you seem to think being a T is somehow more superior than being a F. There's some underlying belief in many seeking their type to want to be seen as one vs. the other so they emphasize those aspects of their personality to fit the type they prefer or like. It's normal. I've done it as well. You may emphasize T traits because you value them more not necessarily because there's a natural preference.

Someone who can better evaluate type differences is one of our members [MENTION=1360]TheDaringHatTrick[/MENTION].

If the purpose is for a story, I think the uncertainty of the result would make for a more interesting story.

If the purpose is for a story, I think the uncertainty of the result would make for a more interesting story.

Agreed.

I feel like I value thoughts and ideas more than people and feelings, but I focus on the feelings that my thoughts and ideas provoke in people.Most of my judgments end up being subjective (this is what works for ME, instead of what WORKS).

I think this statement is what made me think the opposite. Valuing the feelings thought provokes is more feeling oriented. It means you care on some level more about the effects of those thoughts on others. And I used everything in your post to come up with my perception of Fe as a preference. It's noticeable in the way you write. I am also sensing that you seem to think being a T is somehow more superior than being a F. There's some underlying belief in many seeking their type to want to be seen as one vs. the other so they emphasize those aspects of their personality to fit the type they prefer or like. It's normal. I've done it as well. You may emphasize T traits because you value them more not necessarily because there's a natural preference.

Someone who can better evaluate type differences is one of our members @TheDaringHatTrick .

Thank-you for the vote of confidence, @Maven.

From what I understand about Fi/Te is that it is precisely what the OP is describing. Fi isn't so much about the feeling itself as it is about the concept of a feeling. It wants to know the in's and out's of a value judgment. The why, the how, the what-for, and where it all fits. It's much like Ti in this sense, except instead of being a process that focuses on dismantling the structure via logical formalities, Fi focuses on understanding the concepts that make up the idea. Archetypes, tropes, symbols, feelings, motivations, etc. These are the raw materials that Fi likes to work with. It's not just feelings or subjective impressions.

Anyway, admittedly I haven't really delved into any great detail with this post, but my overall first impression would be ENFP.

Agreed.

Thank-you for the vote of confidence, @Maven.

From what I understand about Fi/Te is that it is precisely what the OP is describing. Fi isn't so much about the feeling itself as it is about the concept of a feeling. It wants to know the in's and out's of a value judgment. The why, the how, the what-for, and where it all fits. It's much like Ti in this sense, except instead of being a process that focuses on dismantling the structure via logical formalities, Fi focuses on understanding the concepts that make up the idea. Archetypes, tropes, symbols, feelings, motivations, etc. These are the raw materials that Fi likes to work with. It's not just feelings or subjective impressions.

Anyway, admittedly I haven't really delved into any great detail with this post, but my overall first impression would be ENFP.

Ah, ok. So I was confusing qualities of Fi with Fe. I think it helps that you mentioned that "it's not just feelings or subjective impressions." I think Fi is too easily or simply defined in these terms.

Ah, ok. So I was confusing qualities of Fi with Fe. I think it helps that you mentioned that "it's not just feelings or subjective impressions." I think Fi is too easily or simply defined in these terms.

Well, Fi is subjective. It is working within a limited scope and dismantling the parts to understand the whole. But it's not just understanding based on ~*~feeling~*~ like it's completely based on a person's whims and moods (as the stereotype likes to put it). It does have an internal structure and a sophisticated one at that.

@Nixie put it best in chat last night. Extroverted judging functions like to look for similarities to build their system of understanding from the top down, whereas introverted judging functions look for differences to understand the system from the inside-out.

So everything is pointing to ENFP? Okay... Any thoughts on Enneagram? Btw my SLOAN is SLUEI, if that means anything.