[INFJ] - Confused as to How though? | INFJ Forum

[INFJ] Confused as to How though?

Moranga

Community Member
Mar 31, 2021
MBTI
infjjfni
So I understand the concept behind turning down Ni and focusing on or developing the Inferior function Extraverted feeling and sensing (If I even labeled that right?) and why that would help express yourself in a clear way. But How though? I don't know where the knobs are. I'm totally confused as to how to isolate and manipulate or focus on increasing and developing or decreasing these functions. They feel like they are run on preset outputs that I didn't adjust myself. Does that make sense? How? is the question I have.

Last edited:
turning down Ni

Why would you want to

They feel like they are run on preset outputs

Pretty much

Does that make sense? How?

I think generally what you might be after is the process by which you use Se (extroverted sensing which is the fourth function in the INFJ stack) to continue along a healthy balance.
Dominant functions are essentially a subconscious mechanism so you can't exactly do anything about them in a direct sense but using the fourth function is sort of like a healthy loop with your primary function. Go out, do things in the world, have experiences and engage with your senses. This will naturally dampen Ni but also give it much more information to use as refinement.
None of us can exist in a permanent state of being in our head or being in the world so it's always a learning process of how much you can handle for all of the functions. Mainly it's important to focus on being the best version of yourself, given those various preset outputs, mbti related or otherwise.

Why would you want to

Not necessarily to turn Ni down. What I mean is how do you isolate and directly focus on strengthening a function that is weaker than the dominant. Example Fe or Se and how to make it stronger. I guess what I am confused about is. I don't understand how to isolate a function and focus on it. Does that make sense? How do you work on strengthening a weak function to become more balanced as a whole? The concept of strengthening functions is what im struggling to get. How do you place attention on a function? I hope this makes sense Wy

I think generally what you might be after is the process by which you use Se (extroverted sensing which is the fourth function in the INFJ stack) to continue along a healthy balance.

Yes this is what I mean

Dominant functions are essentially a subconscious mechanism so you can't exactly do anything about them in a direct sense but using the fourth function is sort of like a healthy loop with your primary function. Go out, do things in the world, have experiences and engage with your senses. This will naturally dampen Ni but also give it much more information to use as refinement.
None of us can exist in a permanent state of being in our head or being in the world so it's always a learning process of how much you can handle for all of the functions. Mainly it's important to focus on being the best version of yourself, given those various preset outputs, mbti related or otherwise.

Gotcha, so there is no technique or way of doing it other than thru experiences that active those things. Makes sense. When I hear people in videos speak towards "You should work on strengthening your weaker function to create more balance" was a bit (very) confusing. Thanks for the insight Wy.

Last edited:
Gotcha, so there is no technique or way of doing it other than thru experiences that active those things. Makes sense. When I hear people in videos speak towards "You should work on strengthening your weaker function to create more balance" was a bit (very) confusing. Thanks for the insight Wy.

Some people have the mindset that "strengthening your weaknesses" is a good practice. And so they will apply that general rule across the board on things ignorantly.
First off, I've personally seen a ton of data that doesn't back up that idea as being good at all lolol.
Second, functions aren't about "strength" they are about preference, and those preferences are supposed to simply be your natural inclinations.
Trying to be "the best" at every function just makes you bad at everything. This is sort of a pet peeve of mine in the function theory world.
There are a lot of different pieces of information a person has to pull together to get a good grip on all this stuff though.
It takes some time and reading for sure and there's a lot of garbage out there.

Some people have the mindset that "strengthening your weaknesses" is a good practice. And so they will apply that general rule across the board on things ignorantly.
First off, I've personally seen a ton of data that doesn't back up that idea as being good at all lolol.
Second, functions aren't about "strength" they are about preference, and those preferences are supposed to simply be your natural inclinations.
Trying to be "the best" at every function just makes you bad at everything. This is sort of a pet peeve of mine in the function theory world.
There are a lot of different pieces of information a person has to pull together to get a good grip on all this stuff though.
It takes some time and reading for sure and there's a lot of garbage out there.

Feed back helps put it into perspective in a "Don't worry about it Mike" way. Which is all I needed. Thanks for sharing Wy. Moving forward. :laughing:

I try to notice specific areas in Se where I'm wanting to develop and pick stuff to do that would engage them more. Specifically I like cooking. because I get to work with my hands, smell and taste and see the stuff i'm working with and listen to podcasts. I suggest listening to Wi+Bri while cooking.

I try to notice specific areas in Se where I'm wanting to develop and pick stuff to do that would engage them more. Specifically I like cooking. because I get to work with my hands, smell and taste and see the stuff i'm working with and listen to podcasts. I suggest listening to Wi+Bri while cooking.
LAMO thats rich Daustus. Didnt know you guys a put a new one out. Thought Wy was bowed up packing for CO. Ill have to check it out. I'm really digging the podcast fellas. You really are naturals at it. Impressed.

Not above shameless plugs! Its nice once you get in a physical grove to just zone out and turn the head space off for a bit. exist purely in the moment.

@Moranga - Don't focus on turning off or turning down your dominant functions. Try focusing on traits you already have when the time to focus on them is right. For example, when you're in a place where you need to pay attention to sights and sounds, such as walking through a forest or down a city street, Se will step to the forefront. When you're studying a topic you want to learn more about or engaging in a thoughtful conversation Ti will step up. It should never be a struggle and ideally, whatever function the skill requires should work with the others to get results.

@Moranga - Don't focus on turning off or turning down your dominant functions. Try focusing on traits you already have when the time to focus on them is right. For example, when you're in a place where you need to pay attention to sights and sounds, such as walking through a forest or down a city street, Se will step to the forefront. When you're studying a topic you want to learn more about or engaging in a thoughtful conversation Ti will step up. It should never be a struggle and ideally, whatever function the skill requires should work with the others to get results.

That makes sense. I was looking at it from the wrong perspective. Thanks Asa:grinning:

Last edited:
Last edited:
Cooking, gardening, drafting and architectural rendering as opposed to drawing by feeling, planning things, driving in silence, being one with music... these are the hobbies that sharpen my Se. Architecture is my biggest balancing act. Any time I begin to think of three-dimensional spaces, I start to employ INTP-ish scientific approaches to attain focus. Weirdly, my intuition pops up best at me during these times or when I'm explaining myself, which is why I like to hang around the forum.

Cooking, gardening, drafting and architectural rendering as opposed to drawing by feeling, planning things, driving in silence, being one with music... these are the hobbies that sharpen my Se. Architecture is my biggest balancing act. Any time I begin to think of three-dimensional spaces, I start to employ INTP-ish scientific approaches to attain focus. Weirdly, my intuition pops up best at me during these times or when I'm explaining myself, which is why I like to hang around the forum.

I have learned from several responses that it is not any particular intentional exercise but rather an experience that stimulates these functions. I hit a hurdle and was kind of confused by the "How" part of it. This puts it any way I understand. Thanks Min :) I am in the garden every day. Pulling sucker leaves, and any weeds that try to come up. I am feeling inspired to do some more paintings too. Anyway Thanks again.

@Moranga Get outside! ;)

Go for a walk in the outdoors. Pay attention to the environment around you and your 5 senses. Over time this gets us used to external 'noise' and being present in the moment.

"INFJ Inferior Function: Understanding the INFJs Extraverted Sensing (Se) - Personality Growth" https://personalitygrowth.com/infj-inferior-function-understanding-the-infjs-extraverted-sensing-se/

I have learned from several responses that it is not any particular intentional exercise but rather an experience that stimulates these functions. I hit a hurdle and was kind of confused by the "How" part of it. This puts it any way I understand. Thanks Min :) I am in the garden every day. Pulling sucker leaves, and any weeds that try to come up. I am feeling inspired to do some more paintings too. Anyway Thanks again.
Right on. When i was reading OP it occurred to me that maybe you trying to go about that the wrong way. A focus on inward work is certainly empowering and necessary on many levels, but growing in those areas does kinda amount to engaging them on some level too. Looks like you're finding a good balance there.

Hey man, Yes I was confused by the idea of strengthening a selected function and thought it to be in a workout sort of way. That it is experience based makes sense and its a relief to hear at the same time. I'm learning :)