Conflicting Types in Love | INFJ Forum

Conflicting Types in Love

Ergo Christobal

Talking Lightbulb
Donor
May 8, 2010
MBTI
INFJ
I've got a best friend I met about a year ago who turns out to be an ENFP.
I've also got a really good friend that I've lived with for half a year who is an ISTJ.

They are currently in a long-distance relationship. the total relationship has been going on for about 4 months, and the long distance for about three of them. They thought it was pretty funny that they were opposites in the MBTI spectrum, and i decided to take it one step further. They seem pretty happy, but have shown signs of the common problems found here:
http://www.socionics.com/rel/cnf.htm

What do you all think? Personally, I'm worried that in a few months the relationship might crumble when the distance ends and the habits of doing as much as possible with each other during visits is going to cause problems.

I think personality typing systems can give someone an idea of the potential benefits and challenges in a particular relationship, but are far too limited to be used to predict the potential success (or lack thereof) of said relationship.

Hubby (xNFP) and I (INFx) were in a relationship for three months before we had to become long distance over a course of four and a half YEARS. To be honest, most people can't take the distance, let alone for that long. Unless the couple can handle being apart for a long period of time without touch, then the relationship can fail... ours almost did due to a stupid mistake I made.

I think personality typing systems can give someone an idea of the potential benefits and challenges in a particular relationship, but are far too limited to be used to predict the potential success (or lack thereof) of said relationship.

This, pretty much. The only way "love types" would work is if that people of the same type had the same actual personality and people were unwilling to combat communications problems. Besides, they really aren't in conflict with each other. ENFPs and ISTJs share Ne and Te which would be a "duality" ENFP and ISTP would be a complete total switch in order, I believe, and even still, those relationship apparently are very exciting once you get over the conflicts supposedly.

distance is hard for everyone, and every little fight can really cause excessive stress. I was in a long distance relationship for a year, it sucked really bad. It was only 100 miles, but it was my first year of college and my girlfriend was still in high school.
We fought all the time, hoping it would get better when we were back in the same place. When it didn't, I found out it wasn't the distance at all.

I think it's awesome how people can survive apart for that long, I definitely couldn't do it again.