Confessions of an INFP | INFJ Forum

Confessions of an INFP

Actual

Regular Poster
Dec 16, 2016
MBTI
INFJ
Ugh. So I think I'm actually an INFP.

This thread is to entertain (one hopes), make penance, and explain.

I wish to start by thanking everyone and stating that this forum is truly filled with wonderful and compassionate people. This isn't to flatter or manipulate, it's simply the truth.

And the proof of it is how everyone handled my previous posts. I am thankful to all and especially James, the mouse with the teddy bear, Wishful Thinking, CosmicINFJ for thanking posts in a welcoming and accepting way, Gale/Gist, and many more. You have a truly beautiful group of people here and that is in all sincerity at least from this perspective. The proof is in the past.

Ahem, anyways, moving on.

So yeah, I think that I'm really an INFP and hope for any thoughts or feedback on the matter. I also hope someone learns something from this so that it isn't just about me.

First, it is quite clear that there are many INFJ-like INFPs and many INFP-like INFJs. We all know this. Hence this being a constant issue.

I found a great resource about this that posits that INFPs and INFJs are strong in each other's functions even if they don't value them the same.

You can watch that here: (most interesting)

Second, our view of ourselves and reality itself is often distorted. I asked my wife how she saw me and this is what I got:
1. Michael Scott from The Office
2. Phil Dunphy from Modern Family
3. Frodo from LOTR, lol
4. Very smart.
5. People tell her they can't understand me sometimes and they perceive that as me being very intelligent.
6. Hapless on my own despite said intelligence.
7. Not very emotive but moody all the time.

Anyways, yeah, so apparently I'm a really intelligent Michael Scott. Mock as you will and I don't blame you, but I'm ok with it. :)

I don't want the burden or responsibility of being an INFJ anyway. Just living up to my own standards is hard enough much less anyone else's!

Finally, I'd rather be the well meaning fool 1000x over than the infinitely wise hypocrite. And Kierkegaard is my favorite philosopher hands down.

In any case, I'm ok with it. That's who I am.

As for my low Si, I think I have a lot of work to do. As for my high Se. One can develop a function regardless of type. Michael Pierce, an INFJ MBTI expert thought his own brother was an ISTP and he turned out to be an INFP. I could easily have been misinterpreted as that in my 20s.

Interview here:

Furthermore, what INFJ literally leaves EVERYTHING behind on a one-way ticket thousands of miles away and starts again from scratch in their late 20s? That's classic INFP (Ne). /guilty

And a technical career to scratch a Te itch? Very likely.

And my idiosyncratic values? lol Everyone thinks that it's cool to be idiosyncratic until the values really are considered odd and strange and possibly even disturbing to the rest of society.

As for an ISTJ wife. That's what an INFP subconsciously longs for according to the theory. So that's no coincidence either.

Finally, INFP *can* have an obsession with the truth (Te), see:
http://personalityjunkie.com/infp-personality-type-profile/

"in his novel, Emile, the 18th-century INFP writer, Jean Jacques Rousseau, penned: “I am not a great philosopher, and I care little to be one. But I sometimes have good sense, and I always love the truth.”"

As for the tests, I consistently test as INFP. Please remove my posts from from "You know you're an INFJ if" with my apologies.

As for confessions to me, that is certainly an INFJ thing but not completely exclusive. Probably I just developed differently for one reason or another.

In any case, I hope that this is useful to someone. Thank you all. :)

INFP can be every bit as complicated as an INFJ. Or they like to think so at least. ;-)

Hope the linked resources are useful and interesting.