computer specs

Grey Wolf

Airborne all the way!
Jan 21, 2009
MBTI
INFJ
Enneagram
no idea
I'm thinking of making this computer. ok maybe not exactly make. more like tell them I want these specs and get them to make for me. still in the planning stage as i dont have enough cash yet but want to hear your opinions on what you guys think of the specs.

thanks!

here they are

Intel original BOXDH55TC intel core i5-750 2.66GHZ, 8Mb
corsair 2gb ddr3 133 c9 (x2)
Sapphire ATI HD 4870 512MB
Seagate 500GB 7200.12 / 16MB
LG 22X SATA SuperMulti (dvd/cd)
CoolerMaster Elite RC310/330/331/332/333/334/335 (chasis)
Asus P-50GA 500W Real 5yrs (power)
MS Windows7 Home Premium oem
Dlink DGE-530T (wireless card)
CoolerMaster HyperTX2 / TX3

Last edited:
You don't have a processor listed (even though you have a speed up there), and the RAM you're using is incompatible with that motherboard. You want DDR3 (1333), not DDR2. Also, get *at least* 4GB. You'll be able to find DDR3 in packs of 3, but just get two since you're using the 1156 which only has a dual-channel memory controller, thus making three sticks rather pointless (unless you bought two sets of 3, which is where it starts getting expensive..).

If you plan on playing games, get whatever Corei5 is in the sweet spot at the moment. I don't know which one that is because I don't really keep up with Intel.

If you can afford it, you may as well go with a Radeon HD5850. They're more expensive but are newer, faster, use less power, and (from what I've heard) don't sound like leaf-blowers when their fan kicks in. You also want a card with 1GB of video RAM; you aren't saving much with 512 and it will be crippling at higher resolutions.

I didn't really look at your case(s?) or anything else, but the brand names you chose are dependable so I'll assume they're okay for what you're building.

You don't have a processor listed (even though you have a speed up there), and the RAM you're using is incompatible with that motherboard. You want DDR3 (1333), not DDR2. Also, get *at least* 4GB. You'll be able to find DDR3 in packs of 3, but just get two since you're using the 1156 which only has a dual-channel memory controller, thus making three sticks rather pointless (unless you bought two sets of 3, which is where it starts getting expensive..).

If you plan on playing games, get whatever Corei5 is in the sweet spot at the moment. I don't know which one that is because I don't really keep up with Intel.

If you can afford it, you may as well go with a Radeon HD5850. They're more expensive but are newer, faster, use less power, and (from what I've heard) don't sound like leaf-blowers when their fan kicks in. You also want a card with 1GB of video RAM; you aren't saving much with 512 and it will be crippling at higher resolutions.

I didn't really look at your case(s?) or anything else, but the brand names you chose are dependable so I'll assume they're okay for what you're building.

thanks!

ok i've editied. sorry forgot to add in the i5 bit haha
I've changed the ram already the (x2) at the side means 2 cards. i dont know. the place i'm looking to build this at is selling the ram at a discount price when i get the motherboard and theres only this 1 and the other ddr2 which i put just now.

hows it now?

oh yeah, the HD5850 is definitely out of budget haha. any cheaper one to recommend? haha

thanks again!

As far as I can tell, everything looks good. Instead of the HD4870, you might want to look at the HD5770. I don't think it's much more expensive (if at all). It's slightly less powerful than the 4870 due to choked memory bandwidth, but it probably won't be noticeable and you'll still get the reduced power consumption and noise level. You still want a video card with 1GB of RAM, though, as it's more or less the standard now.

I don't know if noise is a big concern to you or not, and if it isn't then you might want the 4870. I can't stand noisy computers, though, and I'm a bit of an energy hippie so I probably wouldn't get the 4870 at this point. My friend might be giving me his, though, and if that's the case I can't say I'd turn something like that down. :p

Last edited:
the Sapphire ATI HD 5770 Vapor-X 1GB ?

its about S$80 more expensive here :/

Odd. I'm looking on Newegg and there's a $10 price difference between the two series of cards, and sometimes less. If you were going to get this stuff from a store, I recommend you reconsider. Ordering online is usually cheaper.

If you can't get the HD5770 for a reasonable price (and you should be able to), the HD4870 is still a fine, and technically faster card. The amount of RAM on the card is the more important issue here.

Last edited:
hmm.. i wont be able to get it online. my mum wont let me :/ and I have no visa/credit card so thats out. the price list was last updated 6/2/10 so its quite recent. I have a coming up pc show so i might go see how much that costs at the show if they have it haha and anyway the shipping costs to here will kill alone haha

Last edited:
The 5750 isn't worth it. You're paying more for less.

Man, I feel for you, because these prices are terrible. It says Singapore, so I'm guessing you're there or somewhere close by. I don't know what the conversion rate or normal prices for computer parts over there, but if this is anything close to USD you're getting ripped off.

I understand wanting to make the best of your situation, though. What resolution does your monitor support? If it's 1680x1050 or below, you'd probably be fine with a 512mb card. I like to think ahead, but if you don't plan on using anything larger than what you have now, then you may as well save some money and get a card with 512mb.

The 5750 isn't worth it. You're paying more for less.

Man, I feel for you, because these prices are terrible. It says Singapore, so I'm guessing you're there or somewhere close by. I don't know what the conversion rate or normal prices for computer parts over there, but if this is anything close to USD you're getting ripped off.

I understand wanting to make the best of your situation, though. What resolution does your monitor support? If it's 1680x1050 or below, you'd probably be fine with a 512mb card. I like to think ahead, but if you don't plan on using anything larger than what you have now, then you may as well save some money and get a card with 512mb.

haha yeah I stay in singapore. which sucks in a way cos the prices here are usually mad for most things haha

I dont have a monitor now so i can adjust here and there

the conversion rate is about 1 Singapore dollar = 0.708617 U.S. dollars so the prices are just..hiax haha

How are you using a computer without a monitor?

How are you using a computer without a monitor?

haha I'm using my laptop now. Its 2yrs+ years old and its starting to go a little mad though not mad enough to warrent my parents buying me a new com so I'm saving to buy a new one haha

those are the specs I'm thinking of getting haha

Well, when/if you build this PC, get a monitor with a resolution of 1680x1050 or less and you'll be fine with a 512mb video card.

I'm off to watch cartoons now. Toodles.

Well, when/if you build this PC, get a monitor with a resolution of 1680x1050 or less and you'll be fine with a 512mb video card.

I'm off to watch cartoons now. Toodles.

HAHAHA sounds good. thanks for the help! enjoy your cartoons!

What motherboard are you getting? I don't think you listed it.

I ask that because I seriously recommend the: Gigabyte P55M-UD2

The i5 750 is a great CPU when it's overclocked and the UD2 can pretty much overclock it to 4.0Ghz very easily and stay stable. A lot of the magazines and websites I frequent really recommend this set up, you just get so much processing power for the money this way. Granted, you'd have to buy a decent heatsink (Titan Fenrir, ftw). It's an m-ATX like the intel one and it's virtually the same price. That CPU with that RAM and that motherboard, you've got an awesome system.

I ask that because I seriously recommend the: Gigabyte P55M-UD2

The i5 750 is a great CPU when it's overclocked and the UD2 can pretty much overclock it to 4.0Ghz very easily and stay stable. A lot of the magazines and websites I frequent really recommend this set up, you just get so much processing power for the money this way. Granted, you'd have to buy a decent heatsink (Titan Fenrir, ftw). It's an m-ATX like the intel one and it's virtually the same price. That CPU with that RAM and that motherboard, you've got an awesome system.

cool!
is the Gigabyte H55M-UD2H the same or roughly the same? 'cos its slightly cheaper than the one you recommend haha and I can find reviews on that one but not the P55M-UD2

they dont sell the Titan Fenrir where I'm getting the com :( hows the CoolerMaster HyperTX2 / TX3?

cool!
is the Gigabyte H55M-UD2H the same or roughly the same? 'cos its slightly cheaper than the one you recommend haha and I can find reviews on that one but not the P55M-UD2

they dont sell the Titan Fenrir where I'm getting the com :( hows the CoolerMaster HyperTX2 / TX3?

Okay the H55M-UD2H is part of the new H55 1156 chipset which was released for the Core i3's which came out recently. It basically adds the integrated GPU functionality that comes with the core i3. According to some reviews, H55M UD2 and the normal UD2 are identical otherwise. But they say, the original UD2 seems happier when overclocked. If the H55 version is quite a bit cheaper, I would get that. But if it's not much cheaper then I'd still get the original UD2.

The cooler, I think is very good value but I think it doesn't cool that great. I'd spend a tiny bit more and get the latest Arctic Cooler or a Gelid Tranquillo, which is quite new and nearly matches the Fenrir. But is cheaper. But the cooler you mentioned seems fine otherwise.

Okay the H55M-UD2H is part of the new H55 1156 chipset which was released for the Core i3's which came out recently. It basically adds the integrated GPU functionality that comes with the core i3. According to some reviews, H55M UD2 and the normal UD2 are identical otherwise. But they say, the original UD2 seems happier when overclocked. If the H55 version is quite a bit cheaper, I would get that. But if it's not much cheaper then I'd still get the original UD2.

The cooler, I think is very good value but I think it doesn't cool that great. I'd spend a tiny bit more and get the latest Arctic Cooler or a Gelid Tranquillo, which is quite new and nearly matches the Fenrir. But is cheaper. But the cooler you mentioned seems fine otherwise.

hmm.. I just realised the price difference isnt that much. OK then I'll change to the original UD2. haha thanks!

this is so sad. I cant find the artic cooler or the gelid tranquillo on the list either HAHA

http://www.cybermind.com.sg/images/stories/pricelists/cyber-pricelist-diy-page3.pdf

the coolers are at the bottom of the page quite limited :/