[INFJ] - Communication Degree | INFJ Forum

[INFJ] Communication Degree

Jul 4, 2016
MBTI
INFJ
Communication degrees often are looked down on as degrees people get who want an easy major or don't know what to do. As an INFJ though things like writing are interesting and appealing. I am thinking about getting a health communications degree. It is mostly communication classes with a few health campaign courses. Are communication degrees really that worthless. As an INFJ I hate the idea of having a degree that is deemed unimpressive. Wondering what others thoughts are.

Reactions: Gaze and invisible
My postgraduate degree is regarded by my university as in the Communications faculty. I don't think I ever expected it, but here I am studying in Communications! Studying this definitely hasn't been easy and I'm glad the end is in sight. The reason why I did this is because I need it to get the kind of job I want and employers value it. I need to be able to afford to have my own place, and I need to do something I can tolerate and be good at that is meaningful to me. When I did my undergraduate degree I needed a reason to live so I did something that could get me motivated to get out of bed every day, but I chose my postgraduate degree for much more practical reasons. Studying gives you opportunities to work in certain fields, and I think that anyone who is going into a course of study should focus on what they are going to achieve out of it in the end, what kind of career path it is going to lead them down.

My ex-husband has a mass communications degree and he's a tradesman now lolol

Reactions: Gaze
My postgraduate degree is regarded by my university as in the Communications faculty. I don't think I ever expected it, but here I am studying in Communications! Studying this definitely hasn't been easy and I'm glad the end is in sight. The reason why I did this is because I need it to get the kind of job I want and employers value it. I need to be able to afford to have my own place, and I need to do something I can tolerate and be good at that is meaningful to me. When I did my undergraduate degree I needed a reason to live so I did something that could get me motivated to get out of bed every day, but I chose my postgraduate degree for much more practical reasons. Studying gives you opportunities to work in certain fields, and I think that anyone who is going into a course of study should focus on what they are going to achieve out of it in the end, what kind of career path it is going to lead them down.

Thanks for sharing! I am in a similar place as you when you were doing undergrad. I really need something that gives me a sense of purpose. I also want to have degree though that is practical like you said. There's so many options it's hard to really know where I'd find that. I'm going off of what interests me and what I'm good at. I have a very creative side but also want to do something that helps people and make a difference. I've thought many times about doing something in the medical field but the length of time and educational costs make me want to find an alternative. Health communication seemed like it could be the answer. I'm actually working on an associates right now in digital marketing and then was thinking of a bachelor's in the health communication and possibly a masters in health education/promotion. I agree studies should be with the focus of the outcome it leads to. It can be hard to predict that though sometimes. How do you see communications as a "practical" degree?

Communication is a degree that benefits from a double major. Unless you're going into Public Relations, Media Studies, Oral Communication Instructor, or Communication Researcher, it's best to not expect this degree to achieve your dreams on it's own merit. Best to double major in Business, Marketing, English, or Management if you plan to pursue a Communication Degree.

Communication is a degree that benefits from a double major. Unless you're going into Public Relations, Media Studies, Oral Communication Instructor, or Communication Researcher, it's best to not expect this degree to achieve your dreams on it's own merit. Best to double major in Business, Marketing, English, or Management if you plan to pursue a Communication Degree.

That makes sense. I'm getting an associates degree in digital marketing and then was thinking of getting a bachelors in Health communication. So it wouldn't be a straight communications degree. Does communications with a concentration on health make a difference do you think?

Last edited: