Cognitive Functions and Film/TV characters | INFJ Forum

Cognitive Functions and Film/TV characters

Gaze

Donor
Sep 5, 2009
MBTI
INFPishy
I'm curious, what characters on film or tv did you watch growing up?

Do you see any connection between your attraction to or dislike for the character's type which may be connected to whether the character either reflected or portrayed your more developed functions or demonstrated a lesser developed function?

Did somebody say Sailor moon?
no? Thought so.

I really liked Michiru and Haruka ... but I think it's because they were pretty
Sailor Venus is pretty cool too

As much as I hate to admit it, I really Identified with Naruto in my tween years...

I also really enjoyed watching Johny bravo, Courage the Cowardly Dog, Rugrats, Invader Zim.... Cartoons used to be AWESOME...

I'll have to look into those

Did somebody say Sailor moon?
no? Thought so.

I really liked Michiru and Haruka ... but I think it's because they were pretty
Sailor Venus is pretty cool too

As much as I hate to admit it, I really Identified with Naruto in my tween years...

I also really enjoyed watching Johny bravo, Courage the Cowardly Dog, Rugrats, Invader Zim.... Cartoons used to be AWESOME...

I'll have to look into those

But how do you think it connects with their type or use of cognitive functions? Did you identify with them because they were Fe or Ti, or were good at Te or Ne?

But how do you think it connects with their type or use of cognitive functions? Did you identify with them because they were Fe or Ti, or were good at Te or Ne?

I'm pretty sure I just thought Haruka and Michiru were pretty.

Venus on the other hand was really popular but not a total ditz like usagi
I believe she probably some sort of ENF... the internet for the most part says ENFP so we'll go with that. I tend to like ENFPs.

As a kid I was wildly unpopular and often picked at (because I wasn't really responsive to bullying, and I was really headstrong... so I wasn't exactly that fun to pick on) Also it's very likely kids singled me out is because I was the only Japanese Mexican kid in a class of all white kids.

Middle school sucks for most people... but I'd like to say it again. Middle school sucks! Maybe because kids said stupid things like I don't want to be in you to be in our lab group because you're too smart (Really?) Hated and avoided all the girl world hierarchy games too.

That's why I liked naruto... He didn't really belong but sure tried hard anyway. I respect that.

Oh there is another TV character I Identify with. Haruhi... Her Crazy Ne cracks me up.

Ok. So, i loved cartoons as well, and also tv sitcoms. Growing up, i watched Punky Brewster of course, The Cosby's, and later on Three's Company, just to give three examples.

Punky Brewster

Punky Brewster - not sure how to type this character but she definitely had high Se. Se was never my strong suit, so i admired her adventurous spirit and willingness to take risks. She was the complete opposite of me.

Cherry - I'd say INFP - more introverted, careful, cautious, and intuitive. Although I didn't identify with her character, we were probably the closest in type.

Margo - Definite IXTJ. Did not like her character. It was her way or no way. An excess of Fi and Te. Maybe she reflected an aspect of my personality which wasn't very developed at that time.

The Cosbys

-Rudy Huxtable - same age, so identified with her. But i think she was an INFJ. Very observant, intuitive, and strategic. High Fi. She was very self conscious/aware and quite manipulative.

Three's Company

-Jack Tripper. Loved this show. Jack was Se but quite N as well. He got along well with people. He didn't struggle with Fe - he had a good balance. He wasn't a strong Fi. Didn't seem to struggle with a weakly developed Fi though. He seemed to have a good balance of both Fe and Fi. He was definitely P - laid back and easy going in his social life but very J when it came to his job as a cook. Could've been an ENFP or ESFP. He seemed to have good enough Ni - self aware. Very outgoing personality - maybe reflected what was developed in my personality.

Last edited:
I'm curious, what characters on film or tv did you watch growing up?

Do you see any connection between your attraction to or dislike for the character's type which may be connected to whether the character either reflected or portrayed your more developed functions or demonstrated a lesser developed function?

I watched a lot of characters growing up ... my favorites were always the ones who were out-of-synch and funny in an unintentional way (and I'd usually be indifferent to whoever was meant to be "the funny one"). But I think that says more about my taste than my functions.

Grover from "Sesame Street" reminds me a lot of myself.

[YOUTUBE]vQj2_Zmq1-o[/YOUTUBE]

Last edited: