Cognitive function shift | INFJ Forum

Cognitive function shift

technics

On Holiday
May 13, 2011
MBTI
Yes
Do you sometimes get the impression that your cognitive functions are shifting?

Sometimes, when I cut myself off from reality - not in the social sense, but in the perceptive sense (Se) - I somehow get the impression that I jump from Ni to Ti. Example:

A few months back when I used to be really "extroverted", went to all kinds of parties, took a lot of photos, organized a few projects etc., I had the feeling that because the input was so complex, that I normally use my Ni to process all the data.

But now those things are gone and I'm in this sort of mental cave, with no input coming from outside, so I'm trying to understand the vacuum in my mind. My Ni's support was the input from outside, it held onto that. But now that it's gone I think I'm trying to create a support in my empty mind, something to hold on to - which is logic.

Another example is my shift in trying to understand people intuitively vs. looking at them through MBTI glasses.

I dislike not being - allowed - by image - to completely absorb myself in certain things, like fantasy. If it weren't for that I would probably be an intuitive, and a long term planner. I enjoy digging far into the future, absorb myself in its complexities, and strategize to achieve the things I want, and I have a desire to fulfill such plans, but I cannot if others do not concur with me actually doing it that way; planning, and trying to achieve through such plans. I perceive that in the eyes of others my planning always seems far fetched, or simply ridiculous, which is why I rarely (almost never) do it. When I make plans like that I always seem to slowly regress back to reality realizing all the things that has to be done in order to make it work. The more I realize how many holes I need to stuff, in order to achieve my plans, the less intriguing it gets to try achieving it, or care for it, so I dump it. As a kid I frequently included others into my planning, but as I got older the more I secluded myself and my ideas, and kept my plans to myself. Sometimes I end up telling someone though, without thinking it through, but that is when I regret it afterwards, severely, because it endangers how other people perceive me. If my plans then fail, I have failed and lost far greater than if I kept it to myself. I only have one person on this planet that I would ever sit down and make weird long term plans with, and that's because him and me have been planning stupid shit together ever since we were kids, so he's got my full trust. I give some, and he gives some, always together and on the same team. We just seem to know whenever we have the same interest for something, and then we just end up completely absorbing ourselves in it. I get paranoid if I try to plan like this with anybody else, extremely paranoid. So paranoid that I might end up with a mental breakdown from it.

Or something like that, I'm not sure if I can explain it any better than that. This is why I think I might be an ESFP->INTJ.