Circadian Rythyms, Sleep, Health and (even Obesity) | INFJ Forum

Circadian Rythyms, Sleep, Health and (even Obesity)

Seraffa

Community Member
Feb 14, 2011
MBTI
INFJ
Enneagram
Hi. Been reading this: http://www.nigms.nih.gov/publications/factsheet_circadianrhythms.htm

And wondering: if the SCN "re-sets" itself - what if your body and genetics do not coincide with the "command" the SCN is trying to realign your body with? How much do or can our bodies fight the imposition on our time, our health and even our sleep management?

I wish I were a scientist, and an Alumnist of someplace like, say Columbia University where I could have a lifelong "free pass" to go and do voluntary research on myself as the subject, and take notes. It would be fun!

My problem with having an autoimmune disease like Graves (of the thyroid) is that my SCN resets itself relatively quickly -I can even wake up without an alarm, generally, after 2 days of knowing my new time schedule, but in the evening, my body is fighting me so that it stays up late and resumes being a "night owl." Meaning - the genetics in my body remind my SCN each and every day that melatonin producation will happen late in the evening.

Even at that - I still have to take melatonin to ensure a continued, sustained restful nights sleep each and every night! It varies - some day 1 gram, other days a full 3 grams - "days from the 9th ring of Hell: - 5 to 6 grams which is jet-lag recovery strength!

As an INFJ there are just so many things I could chart about myself --- IF I HAD THE TIME.

Geez,,,,,talk about priorities!

I am suspecting that Graves, the SCN, the lack of natural melatonin production, and increased flare-ups of bulimia and food intolerances are signals that ....my body is ....going to slowly wear itself out over the years anyway? My intestinal villi are not what they used to be. I'm already missing enzymes and melatonin. And I'm not losing any weight like I used to......

Now in order to get up early enough to wake up, exercise and shower before I go to work at 6 AM, I have to put myself to bed no later than 8 or 9pm at night!!!! Or suffer the consequences. Weight gain, cortisol release, bulimia, etc etc. Good God!!!!

:hurt:

Does anyone struggle with this?????

Thank you for the interesting link.

I think there is something to that genetic hypothesis if only from my own anecdotal evidence. I come from a long line of early risers and early wakers (for more than occupational or behavioural reasons). I've had added complications over the last ten years both from shift work and then having two small children. I have only resumed something like normal sleeping patterns since early December when I weaned my youngest from night feeding.

Since that small change, my weight which was steadily creeping upward has gone down and my appetite has normalised. I'm back to waking early but being able to lie in bed and just drowse is quite different from feeling compelled to get out of bed because you want to punch the pillow to oblivion in frustration at your own insomnia. I think my body is slowly returning to type and it is manageable.

I struggled with shift work because I was never able to sleep properly during the day and nights just don't suit me. I understand what you are talking about there with going against something that seems so ingrained that you don't know if it is possible to change it. My husband is a night owl like you and cannot get to bed before midnight. It's just too foreign a concept to him.

I'm sorry I don't have any answers for you but I do empathise - totally. You're not alone on this one.

Wow, thank you Melbo. It will help me make future choices in a better way!

I have Delayed sleep phase syndrome which basically means that I can't go to sleep at a normal time or wake up at a normal time. My clock is set to sleep at about 3-4 AM and wake up around 12-1 PM. This is in its natural state. If I take a 10mg dosage of melatonin every night I can sleep as early as 1 AM but then I'm zonked until 1PM anyway. 5mg rarely works, and my gel caps are in 5 mg increments, so anyway...

The major thing it effects is my ability to work a normal schedule or go to school. Also, because I wake up around noon, I'm not generally hungry until about 2 PM and end up eating small meals until about midnight (I also can't handle too much food at once.)