Flavus Aquila

Finding My Place in the Sun
Banned
Mar 14, 2009
Australia
MBTI
INTJ - A
Enneagram
A generation ago people obsessed about chewing your food properly. I think it was probably a combination of slowing down and savouring the meal (good table manners), and also about maximising the nutritional availability of the food during digestion.

Is eating well just a matter of choosing the right material these days, and does the right method of consumption still matter?

I think they still say you should chew your food properly.

It's something alone the lines of we wolf our food down so quickly because we're always on the go and wind up eating more than is good for us because our brain hasn't had the time to realise we're full yet.

I don't really feel like chewing my food ten times over if it's soft enough to swallow though. Whatever.

Chewing your food properly helps keep you from choking to death as well.

Reactions: cvp12gh5 and Gaze
I find it impossible to shovel food down my throat....I'm naturally a slow eater - always the last one to finish my meal.....unless of course it's chocolate!

Manner of consumption definitely still matters. Not eating too fast puts less pressure on your stomach and allows your teeth to cut the food into smaller pieces and get soaked in more saliva, which helps with digestion. You get more nutrition out of the food this way as well.

It also helps stop you from eating too much. The norm for many people (and me until recently) is to stuff themselves completely full and then keep eating because the fullness has not registered yet.

Manner of consumption definitely still matters. Not eating too fast puts less pressure on your stomach and allows your teeth to cut the food into smaller pieces and get soaked in more saliva, which helps with digestion. You get more nutrition out of the food this way as well.

It also helps stop you from eating too much. The norm for many people (and me until recently) is to stuff themselves completely full and then keep eating because the fullness has not registered yet.
I heard somewhere, that it takes the stomach about 15min to register food consumption, with whatever centre that controls the sense of hunger. (I don't know if it accurate, but it seems true with me). I often will have a small snack, like a couple of crackers with cheese when starting to prepare my meals, and by the time the food is ready, I'm not that hungry at all, and end up eating for the sake of it being meal time.

I also try to go shopping after a meal, so that I don't end up buying loads of things like beef jerky, cashews, and other snack foods on impulse.

Reactions: Faye and jyrffw54
Physiologically, your saliva contains lipase (to digest fats) and amylase(to digest carbs). When you chew your food thoroughly, it gives these enzymes more time to work on your food, so that by the time food reaches the stomach and intestines, they don't have to work quite as hard to continue to break your food down, leading to more efficient digestion.

Reactions: Ryso89
Physiologically, your saliva contains lipase (to digest fats) and amylase(to digest carbs). When you chew your food thoroughly, it gives these enzymes more time to work on your food, so that by the time food reaches the stomach and intestines, they don't have to work quite as hard to continue to break your food down, leading to more efficient digestion.

This information has been the most important thing I've read all week.

Not really having to do with chewing but...
I recently found out that our stomachs have a number of neurons situated in and around them. Enough according to researchers to constitute another brain.

Something to think about.

Reactions: jyrffw54
This thread is all kinds of what the fuck

Reactions: Pin
I've never thought about this either but it's something to think about certainly.

It's certainly important to chew thoroughly, it is proven to have great benefit and the vast majority of people don't chew enough (apologies for contributing to self-paranoia).
My comment was more to do with the people involved here and just a generally weird topic to even bring up and engage with in the ways that have occurred here lol.

Reactions: BritNi and Pin