chemistry tutor? | Page 2 | INFJ Forum

chemistry tutor?

OK:

Ag+(aq) + NO3(-)(aq) + K+(aq) + Br(aq) --- AgBr(s) + K+(aq) + NO3(-)(aq)

Mg(s) + 2Ag+ (aq) + 2NO3(-)(aq) ----> 2Ag(s) + Mg2+(aq) + 2NO3(-)(aq)

2Na1+(aq) + SO42-(aq) + Ba2+(aq) + 2Cl1-(aq) -----> 2Na1+(aq) + 2Cl1-(aq) + BaSO4(s)

Notice the: NO3, AgBr, SO4, BaSO4

from what I can see: solids stay together (symbolically, speaking in terms of the equation), as well as covalently bonded compounds. Is this correct?

NO3, AgBr, SO4, BaSO4

These are stable, solid molecular arrangements of salt crystals as a lattice; by contrast the Na+ or SO42- are dissolved in water wizzing about as 'free ions' thus the idea of an aqueous/saline solution.

Thus denoted (aq) for aqueous solution phase or (s) for solid phase.

Note, in the above examples the equations are balanced.

So, we're about to start looking at light, and I'm really excited. So, just to get the basics down:

What is light?

As which of the three states (solid, liquid, gas) would fire be classified, if any? I heard a long time ago that fire is part plasma?

How does radiation work, in a nutshell?

So, we're about to start looking at light, and I'm really excited. So, just to get the basics down:

What is light?

As which of the three states (solid, liquid, gas) would fire be classified, if any? I heard a long time ago that fire is part plasma?

How does radiation work, in a nutshell?

Light is odd in that it both exhibits the behaviours of both energy waves and also particles. (wave particle duality)

Radiation is the radiation of energy.

What we see is only a tiny fraction of the energy waves we experience.

Here's the electromagnetic spectrum:

em_spectrum.jpg

Thanks for your help .
Are you extraordinary in Inorganic or Organic Chemistry .But i will suggest all of you to clear all your queries and solutions on this tutorial link .You can find all materials as you wish .Try it
chemistry tutor

No need. I'm smarter than the average chemistry bear.

Damn ISFJ spammer.

My book says that matter has wave properties, and also that energy has particle properties. So far, this has only been explained to me on the sub-atomic level. It makes sense in that context, but I'm still trying to wrap my mind around the thought on a macroscopic level.

I just now saw this thread.

Fire is the result of a combustion reaction; a carbon-based material burns in the presence of oxygen and gives off various products. The flames you see are from the reaction releasing hot gases (and heating the surrounding air) to a point where it radiates light in the visible part of the spectrum. The burning material could be liquid, solid or gas, a gas will be given off, and the light you see in the form of flames is coming from that hot gas. (Although I don't think it really makes sense to refer to fire itself as a material; it's more of the process, but that's just bickering over terminology.)

Plasma, on the other hand, is a gas that's been heavily ionized (had the electrons removed from it's molecules). This causes it to have a net electrical charge and various other properties different from non-ionized gases. The removal of the electrons requires energy to excite the molecules, which can occur through heating. So plasma could be present in fire, if it is hot enough to ionize the gas being given off or the surrounding air, but isn't required. In general the answer would be "no, fire is not a plasma."

My book says that matter has wave properties, and also that energy has particle properties. So far, this has only been explained to me on the sub-atomic level. It makes sense in that context, but I'm still trying to wrap my mind around the thought on a macroscopic level.

Yes, this is wave-particle duality, as already mentioned. 'Waves' can be detected as particles because of quantum mechanics; energy is quantized, or comes in discrete units (this is true for all forms of energy) - these units are the particle forms of the energy that we detect, for example photons. The reason 'particles' can have wave properties is slightly more complicated; in quantum mechanics the actual history of a particle (that is, it's path through space and time) can treated as the sum of all it's possible histories together, which allows for interference between the different paths it could have taken, and we get stuff like wave diffraction even for a single particle.

This still occurs on a macroscopic level, technically, but for all practical purposes the quantum effects disappear because the systems are too large and the measurements being made are not precise enough to detect them. At higher energies quantum effects become more subtle and require greater effort to detect (this is true of all systems, micro or macroscopic), but the energies of macroscopic systems are always very large, if only due to the mass-energy. For example, if you were to do a diffraction experiment with something like a car instead of a single particle, you would not get a diffraction pattern (a wave property) because the massive energy of the car will cause it's associated wave to cycle so fast as to be effectively continuous - no interference pattern is created since the 'waves' are basically constant instead of cycling. There are other explanations for why you don't see other quantum effects, like quantum tunneling, but they all basically go back to the point that quantum effects aren't noticable for high energy systems.

There are some exceptions; a few macroscopic systems do experience quantum effects, primarily superfluids and Bose-Einstein condensates. These have to be cooled to very low temperatures, which puts all the particles in very low energy states anyways.

(If any of this is un-understandable or the terms aren't familiar, feel free to ask. Or not, whatever.)

Last edited:
Let's talk about electron spin. This might seem like an idiotic question, but do they actually mean that the direction of the spin is what determines whether the ms value is + or - ?

But, really, I'd just like to hear more about the concept.

Let's talk about electron spin. This might seem like an idiotic question, but do they actually mean that the direction of the spin is what determines whether the ms value is + or - ?

But, really, I'd just like to hear more about the concept.

Yes and no. The + and - values do refer to the spin being in opposite directions, but you can't actually associate any kind of rotation or direction with the spin value. Further explanations:

The 'spin' is just a name and isn't really referring to the particle spinning. It's a measure of the inherent angular momentum that the particle will always have, regardless of whether it is actually rotating or not. The 'spin' angular momentum is different from the traditional angular momentum, which does actually involve the rotation of the object. Elementary particles, for example electrons and quarks and such, are not known to have any size; even when detected "as a particle" they're effectively just points in space, so the idea of a rotation is meaningless for them. For composite particles like protons or atoms (made up of several smaller particles), they still have the spin angular momentum, but they may be rotating in space as well, in which case they also have traditional angular momentum.

There are other reasons as well, like that the spin along any two perpendicular axes (x, y, or z) cannot have definite values at the same time, since the spins along those axes obey the Heisenberg uncertainty principle. If a particle is known to have a definite spin value along the x axis then it's spin value along the y and z axes is a superposition of all the possible values, so no definite axis of rotation can be associated with the spin. WORSE YET, the spin of a particle is not even represented mathematically using vectors in space, as the traditional ('orbital') angular momentum is, but instead using spinors which have even odder properties, like that a 360 degree rotation of the spin's direction does not always return it to the same value (e.g. for spin 1/2 particles, starting with +1/2 spin in the +x direction, a 360 degree rotation will leave the particle with -1/2 spin in the +x direction). This property of spin has been verified experimentally too.

How you still get the idea of opposite direction spins:

The idea of + and - for spin comes in the interactions between particles. You've probably already covered the Pauli exclusion principle and how no two electrons can occupy the exact same state in the atom. The spin angular momentum is one of the things that describes that state, so as long as the ang. momentums are opposite each other, they are in different states. 'Up' and 'down' are the only two possible directions for the spin (as opposed to a continuous distribution of different states along the whole sphere of possible directions, as with traditional angular momentum) due to the previous uncertainty relation thing and only being able to have definite values in particular directions.

The same thing comes up in anti-matter annihilations - in order to annihilate the particles must have exactly opposite quantum numbers that together add to zero, and both electrons and positrons both have 1/2 spin. If spin angular momentums were only "one direction" then you could never have anti-matter annihilations; it's because either the electron or the positron may have spins in the same directions or opposite directions that they're able to annihilate. Similarly, if the world was such that positrons always had -1/2 spin and electrons always had +1/2 spin, you could still have those annihilations, but you'd never be able to have two electrons in the same orbital of an atom, either - which is very necessary for hybridization and bonding and such, at least as we know of it in this universe.

[MENTION=4777]turquoise[/MENTION]

Thanks. My book can be quite vague. I didn't understand it all, nor do I expect to, yet, but I got the gist of it.

Metallic bonding:

My book says that generally when two metals bond, because of all the orbitals and electrons each is likely to have, that the inner shells and nuclei are the only parts that will tend to remain generally stable in what is otherwise a flowing "sea of electrons."
So I was wondering what the orbital shape was, if any, for these flowing electrons. Do they have a rough trajectory, or is it really just sporadic? For that matter, what orbital shape are shared electrons likely to take on in a covalent bond? Do they spend equal amounts of time in proximity to all the atoms involved?