Check out my song?

subwayrider

Into the White
Sep 26, 2011
MBTI
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
I just recorded this with my band-mate a few days ago. It's not nearly done yet, but it'd be appreciated if you'd tell me what you think.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Htf0l_DmfY0&feature=channel_video_title

we have a few of our other songs on that account, too, if you want to have a look. Quality's awful, though. >_<
If you had to guess, where would you say our influences lie?

Reactions: grt$5vb
Hello ;)
Well I understand that the quality is not the greatest, but looking past that, I really enjoyed the feel of the music. To me, it has alot of potential... As for vocals, in my opinion, doesn't seem to fit the vibe of the song as I hear it. It does towards the beginning, but I feel it would be more of an impact if you could hear a sense of vulnerability in it as the song progresses?... But thats just my preference. Overall I think you and your band mate did a great job. I would continue to make tweaks until you feel it is what you want to song to be. It is what you and your band mate composed, so although feedback is always nice, you don't want it to become something that doesn't have meaning to you. Thank you for sharing this, I always enjoy forms of expression through music, art, and so on.

[MENTION=1593]pipsqueaka[/MENTION]

hehe. don't listen to them. hadn't even heard of them before just now.

[MENTION=4744]abaxta[/MENTION]

good stuff. i like the mellow feel. i surely will. good luck with your music as well

[MENTION=4742]eloquent_leo[/MENTION]

thanks for the feedback. I was going for sort of a My Bloody Valentine feel on this, so I didn't want the vocals to stand out. They didn't turn out exactly the way I'd planned on this recording. I'll keep working on it. But, definitely cater to my own tastes when making music. We don't make music for other people; we make the music that we would like to listen to. It wouldn't work any other way, IMO. :)

I love it! But essentially agree with the comments [MENTION=4742]eloquent_leo[/MENTION] made too.

What is the motivation behind the song?

What draws me to a particular song is that is reflects driven emotion, maybe an exaggeration of emotion. When I feel a certain way, depressed, love, elated, angered, etc ... I look for music that either validates those feelings or the opposite to calm them. The funny thing about the INFJness ... is I interpret your song as emotionally subdued ...you are playing what rests your brain, when actually I don't sense emotion. Perhaps this is what you have intended.

What was that funny quote about INFJs: "They can never be a robot, but they can tank emotionally?" When I listen to songs, it should almost be as though they have a provided a window to the inner world of the artist. You can sense when an instrument is played with passion. That is just my taste and I am merely one small soul on this entire earth.

:)

I'm probably not the best (or fairest) judge of music there is since my genres are Classical and Prog. Rock. I've played some of the lighter stuff in bands though as someone here can tell you. And I know its been said, but it sounds like you're using too much "T" and not enough "F" in the music.

As a once-been musician though, I can also assume it's either because A) you're on a budget and the studio rates charge by hour so it's cheaper to play it safe or B) you're still adjusting as a band to being in synch with one another IE. counting the verses and repetitions between segments instead of playing by feel.

That's cool... some trippy sounds at the start, I like that dark arpeggio organ sound... and the guitar riff that comes in at 2:36 is awesome :)

The vocals don't fit in for me though... a bit "flat"... not sure how to describe it, but it just quite gel with the music for me.

Are you using software to record and compose?

Thanks. I thought the same about the vocals. No, most of our recordings are done live. That's probably why I'm having the problem with the singing.

Reactions: hk427f3
It must be fun doing it live though... once upon a time I was in a band (nothing serious... we didn't play anywhere except with each other) and it was always heaps more fun playing live together than trying to record all the layers separately.

I still mess about recording things from time to time, just by myself though so I HAVE to do all the layers separately... I use "Ableton Live"... it's pretty amazing what you can do with software these days... rooms full of hardware from the 80's are now there on one screen with virtual knobs and buttons... and you can even connect a MIDI controller so you have real knobs and buttons!

Haha. We find it less rewarding to record separate layers, unless we're actually trying to get stuff done. I have used fruity loops and audacity, though I plan on using pro tools for future recordings.

Good stuff man, heaps of fun recording... I'm getting itchy thinking about it now... haven't done anything musically for a while now! Main thing is to have fun with it hey, ironically that's when the really good stuff happens anyway :)

That's true, actually. That's when we've found our best stuff. If it's not fun for everyone involved, it won't be any good :p
You should start cranking out some songs. Maybe we could do an online collab

Just did this tonight. I quite enjoy it.

[video=youtube;Eq47Xo8XKOM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eq47Xo8XKOM&feature=channel_video_title[/video]