Dec 16, 2011
aus
MBTI
infj
Enneagram
1w9
So- chakras

What chakras are and their psychological properties

Chakras are centers of energy, located on the midline of the body. There are seven of them, and they govern our psychological properties. The chakras located on the lower part of our body are our instinctual side, the highest ones our mental side.

The chakras can have various levels of activity. When they're "open," they're considered operative in a normal fashion.

Ideally, all chakras would contribute to our being. Our instincts would work together with our feelings and thinking. However, this is usually not the case. Some chakras are not open enough (being under-active), and to compensate, other chakras are over-active. The ideal state is where the chakras are balanced. To find out what the state of your chakras is, do the chakra test.

chakra test- http://www.eclecticenergies.com/chakras/chakratest.php

There are lots of techniques to balance the chakras. Mostly techniques to open chakras are used. It makes no sense to try to make over-active chakras less active, as they are compensating for other chakras. To restore the compensation they'd be over-active again in no time. To stop them from compensating, the chakras they are compensating for must be opened.

. 1 - Root chakra

The Root chakra is about being physically there and feeling at home in situations. If it is open, you feel grounded, stable and secure. You don't unnecessarily distrust people. You feel present in the here and now and connected to your physical body. You feel you have sufficient territory.

If you tend to be fearful or nervous, your Root chakra is probably under-active. You'd easily feel unwelcome.

If this chakra is over-active, you may be very materialistic and greedy. You're probably obsessed with being secure and resist change.

. 2 - Sacral chakra

The Sacral chakra is about feeling and sexuality. When it is open, your feelings flow freely, and are expressed without you being over-emotional. You are open to intimacy and you can be passionate and lively. You have no problems dealing with your sexuality.

If you tend to be stiff and unemotional or have a "poker face," the Sacral chakra is under-active. You're not very open to people.

If this chakra is over-active, you tend to be emotional all the time. You'll feel emotionally attached to people and you can be very sexual.

. 3 - Navel chakra

The Navel chakra is about asserting yourself in a group. When it is open, you feel in control and you have sufficient self esteem.

When the Navel chakra is under-active, you tend to be passive and indecisive. You're probably timid and don't get what you want.

If this chakra is over-active, you are domineering and probably even aggressive.

. 4 - Heart chakra

The Heart chakra is about love, kindness and affection. When it is open, you are compassionate and friendly, and you work at harmonious relationships.

When your Heart chakra is under-active, you are cold and distant.

If this chakra is over-active, you are suffocating people with your love and your love probably has quite selfish reasons.

. 5 - Throat chakra

The Throat chakra is about self-expression and talking. When it is open, you have no problems expressing yourself, and you might be doing so as an artist.

When this chakra is under-active, you tend not to speak much, and you probably are introverted and shy. Not speaking the truth may block this chakra.

If this chakra is over-active, you tend to speak too much, usually to domineer and keep people at a distance. You're a bad listener if this is the case.

. 6 - Third Eye chakra

The Third Eye chakra is about insight and visualization. When it is open, you have a good intuition. You may tend to fantasize.

If it is under-active, you're not very good at thinking for yourself, and you may tend to rely on authorities. You may be rigid in your thinking, relying on beliefs too much. You might even get confused easily.

If this chakra is over-active, you may live in a world of fantasy too much. In excessive cases halucinations are possible.

. 7 - Crown chakra

The Crown chakra is about wisdom and being one with the world. When this chakra is open, you are unprejudiced and quite aware of the world and yourself.

If it is under-active, you're not very aware of spirituality. You're probably quite rigid in your thinking.

If this chakra is over-active, you are probably intellectualizing things too much. You may be addicted to spirituality and are probably ignoring your bodily needs.
Taken from Eclectic energies- Introduction to Chakras http://www.eclecticenergies.com/chakras/introduction.php

Has anyone studied chakras? What are your thoughts?

Studied? No.

I have a cd I listen to on occasion which purports to help one activate them all. Sometimes in meditation I work on visualizing them all open and glowing.

I went to the site - took the test - and am now reading how to open closed or under - activated chakras. I've not tried the mudras and chanting sounds to open chakras. Have you?

[MENTION=2873]Serenity[/MENTION] is familiar with the concept.
[MENTION=407]Soulful[/MENTION] is interested.
[MENTION=884]solongotgon[/MENTION] is very adept at this. She doesn't visit the forum much any more - but in case she does come by I mentioned her here.
[MENTION=2698]SamE[/MENTION] is on the path of the Shaman and is knowledgeable about energy.

Maybe [MENTION=2839]Inquisitive[/MENTION] ?

Kgal Chakra Test Results 20120315.JPG

I like to balance my chakras by laying stones of the corresponding colours on the areas of my body that correspond to them, while doing a visualization exercise, imagining the light traveling up each center from Root to Crown. If you don't have all the colours, clear quartz will always work.

I also like to listen to this video that plays frequencies that are associated with each chakra. I find this incredibly helpful, and when one relaxes and just lets their whole being go while listening to this, the balance will do its work while they breathe. What I found the most interesting is how if I have an under/overactive chakra, I will feel a special kind of pain in that area of the body. I tend to have an overactive third eye and crown, so that gives me headaches, and an under-active sacral chakra, which can give me lower back pain. When my solar plexus is under/overactive I have stabbing pain in my sides.

[video=youtube;sDdC8caAnxc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sDdC8caAnxc&feature=bf_next&list=PL5B0D63A 35241675C&lf=mh_lolz[/video]

[MENTION=2873]Serenity[/MENTION]

Are you suggesting the chakras can attain an open quality and then go back to be under active or closed?

I'm going to download the video you suggested and try it.

I have found on the occasions I vocalize the sounds ohm or ahhh - that it feels wonderful in my body and I feel more spacious - open and calm.

You don't worry with the hand positions - the mudras?

@Serenity

Are you suggesting the chakras can attain an open quality and then go back to be under active or closed?

I'm going to download the video you suggested and try it.

I have found on the occasions I vocalize the sounds ohm or ahhh - that it feels wonderful in my body and I feel more spacious - open and calm.

You don't worry with the hand positions - the mudras?

I believe that we're always going to have at least one overactive chakra that is compensating for an under-active one. Nature always gears towards some sort of imbalance, no?

Ohmming is very nice. When you do ocean breathing and use your Ohms for an exhale, it's a very nice way to clear out negative energy. I like to Ahh when I am in meditative Prayer because it helps me focus on God. I don't do any special hand positions, but I always keep my palms up; It shows that I am ready to recieve/give energy from/to the Universe.

Reactions: Quiet and muir
The Serpent Power

Some initiatory orders are geared towards opening the chakras with each stage of initiation in order to raise kundalini energy

There's a theory that many of the great cathedrals built across Europe, especially ones built by the Templars were built on sites that were of spiritual significance to the druids

knight_templar_battle_weary.jpg

There is a christian pilgrammage route from Santiago De Compostela, Spain up through France via such places as Chartres and Notre Dame upto Rosslyn Chapel in Scotland, and this was possibly a pilgrammage route before the birth of jesus. There are seven sites, each representing a planet and a chakra point.

The initiate would be prepared in a site in Portugal, where they would purify themselves for a year and be prepared by the heirophants (i think its either Tomar or Sintra). Then when they were deemed ready they would then begin their spiritual journey. On arrival at one of the sacred sites (sites of natural telluric energy) they would give the required passwords to the priests and then be initiated into the mysteries of that site. The initiate would be taught the mysteries of that planet/chakra, take libations, chant and learn to resonate at the correct frequencies.

This journey would be a gradual process of enlightenment involving the hardship of travel, constant personal challenge and spiritual growth. As the person was changing in an inner spiritual alchemical process they would also be passing through ever changing landscape in their external journey.This journey mirrored a similar journey in ancient Egypt through 7 temples along the Nile. You would pass through the natural chakra points of mother earth and open your own chakras in the process

Labyrinth in Chartres Cathedral: wpf85ba06b.jpgIndian Chakravyuh:250px-Chakravyuha-labyrinth.svg.png
Bronze age labyrinth in Tintagel Cornwall, England:Rocky_Valley_labyrinth_Tintagel.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: jyrffw54
Some initiatory orders are geared towards opening the chakras with each stage of initiation in order to raise kundalini energy

There's a theory that many of the great cathedrals built across Europe, especially ones built by the Templars were built on sites that were of spiritual significance to the druids

View attachment 12536

There is a christian pilgrammage route from Santiago De Compostela, Spain up through France via such places as Chatres and Notre Dame upto Rosslyn Chapel in Scotland, and this was possibly a pilgrammage route before the birth of jesus

There are seven sites, each representing a planet and a chakra point.

The initiate would be prepared in a site in Portugal, where they would purify themselves for a year and be prepared by the heirophants (i think its either Tomar or Sintra). Then when they were deemed ready they would then begin their spiritual journey.

On arrival at one of the sacred sites (sites of natural telluric energy) they would give the required passwords to the priests and then be initiated into the mysteries of that site.

The initiate would be taught the mysteries of that planet/chakra, take libations, chant and learn to resonate at the correct frequencies.

This journey would be a gradual process of enlightenment involving the hardship of travel, constant personal challenge and spiritual growth. As the person was changing in an inner spiritual alchemical process they would also be passing through ever changing landscape in their external journey.

This journey mirrored a similar journey in ancient Egypt through 7 temples along the Nile.

You would pass through the natural chakra points of mother earth and open your own chakras in the process

Labyrinth in Chatres Cathedral:

View attachment 12533

Indian Chakravyuh:

View attachment 12534

Bronze age labyrinth in Tintagel Cornwall, England:

View attachment 12535

Oooh! This is very intriguing!

Yeah, i hope to complete the journey myself one day

The druids have been equated to the magi:

druid2.jpg

Chinese symbol for shamen:

magi-in-china.jpg

Knights templar cross:

600px-Cross-Pattee-red.svg.png

Last edited:
Reactions: Quiet
Thanks for the response everyone! Very interesting..

I have recently started studying chakras as part of my naturopathy course. I will post more information when I learn more and have some time.

I find the concept very fascinating. The idea that they are seven chakras in our body, and two layers of seven that make up the aura external to the body. I like the 7 7 7.

I have been learning about chakras more from a holistic and healing point of view. About how our thoughts, emotions and actions influence our chakras and how inbalances can cause sickness and pain in areas associated with the particular chakra. Exactly in context with what Serenity mentioned about head aches and pains in her side.

So if a person is well balanced and healthy all their chakras will be open. They can become overactive and underactive depending on how one is responding to and creating their world. The body is always seeking homoestasis and balance, so if one chakra is overactive, the related chakra will be underactive. Eventually this overcompensation will cause problems, which will manifest in emotional and physical dis-ease. I have taken that test and have had my 'energy' read using some fandangled machine and also by a reader. My third eye chakra is overactive and my root chakra is underactive. I can relate to this because I do have problems with feeling disconnected with my physical body. I also have some problems with feeling grounded- I feel no connection to any particular culture or place. But I also feel an affinity to every culture and place. I choose the whole world! I have not chosen or identified with one in particular to establish that concrete connection though. But as I become more grounded by my daughter, this is changing and I am feeling much more rooted and secure where I am. So much less flighty.

In regards to meditation and exercises- I have never used it for the express purpose of opening chakras. I have enjoyed doing yoga in the past and there are certain excercise/stretches I have done intuitively since I was a child just because they felt right. I can sometimes 'feel' the chakras though. Mainly the third eye- that area is very tingly, sometimes to the point that it feels itchy. And a similar tingle along the midine/spine. When I am very sad or drained I can feel the 'drainedness' in my spine. It got so bad at one stage when I was younger that I even tried to see a doctor about it. He was pretty confused. In one of my past relationships I explored kundalini energy with my partner- highly recommended experience but not for the faint hearted.

I like the idea of using coloured stones and the sounds [MENTION=2873]Serenity[/MENTION] .
I have just started learning about the corresponding colours and their corresponding frequencies. So interesting! And the sounds- absolutely fascinating. There a seven notes and there is also seven chakras. We had a sound therapist speak in my chemistry class about her research. She analyses people's energy through voice analysis. She is able to pick up certain sicknesses, mental health issues and personality traits using a voice analyser. Different notes are associated with different strengths and weaknesses. Most people prefer certain notes and dont use others. She thinks that practicing/singing/chanting notes is a form of vibrational healing. By learning to use your whole range and meditate you can use the energy to heal yourself.

Sound energy and light energy is something we know so little about and dont utilse the full potential of. It is all so fascinating but I have much more to learn and do homework on.

Reactions: jyrffw54