MBTI
INFPishy
Hmm, never knew.

https://www.verywell.com/which-celebrities-suffer-with-social-anxiety-3024283
https://www.verywell.com/shy-athletes-3024271

List of Celebrities Who Suffer With Social Anxiety

By Arlin Cuncic
Updated July 29, 2016
Celebrities with social anxiety include those who have been diagnosed with social anxiety disorder (SAD) such as Donny Osmond, Barbra Streisand and Ricky Williams, and others who have dealt with social anxiety issues such as Susie O'Neill and Kim Basinger. Read more about celebrities with social anxiety and how they have learned to cope.

Donny Osmond

DonnyOsmond-56a89daf3df78cf7729f2127.JPG

Photo: Frederick M. Brown / Getty Images. Photo: Frederick M. Brown / Getty Images
At the tender age of 6, Donny Osmond recalls the beginnings of what would later develop into a full-blown case of SAD. While performing in "Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat," Osmond's stage fright became overwhelming. No longer able to cope, he sought help and received both medication and therapy as part of a treatment program. Osmond has spoken openly about his experiences in his autobiography and in interviews.

More »

Barbra Streisand
BarbraStreisand-56a89daf3df78cf7729f212b.jpg

Photo: Kevin Winter / Getty Images. Photo: Kevin Winter / Getty Images
During a concert in New York's Central Park, Barbra Streisand forgot the lyrics to a song. Terrified of having it happen again, she did not perform publicly (with the exception of charity events) for nearly another 30 years. Streisand eventually returned to performing and has since reported using medication to manage her symptoms of social anxiety.

More »

Ricky Williams

RickyWilliams-56a89db05f9b58b7d0f3a53f.jpg

Photo: Gregory Shamus / Getty Images. Photo: Gregory Shamus / Getty Images
Professional football player Ricky Williams has battled a crippling case of social anxiety disorder throughout his career in the NFL. Often judged as strange and aloof, Williams was known for leaving his helmet on during interviews and avoiding fans. On the suggestion of a friend, he entered therapy and began taking the anti-anxiety medication paxil (paroxetine). Williams has shared his story openly with the hope of helping others with social anxiety disorder.

More »

Zack Greinke
ZackGreinke134x169GettyStephenDunn-56a89dd75f9b58b7d0f3a6ae.jpg

Photo: Stephen Dunn / Getty Images. Photo: Stephen Dunn / Getty Images
Zack Greinke took a leave of absence from his position as pitcher with the Kansas City Royals in 2006 to deal with SAD. A combination of treatment from a sports psychologist and anti-depressant medication allowed Greinke to return 7 months later. Greinke has since performed exceptionally well, winning the Cy Young Award in 2009, and appearing on the cover of Sports Illustrated.

More »

Dontrelle Willis

DontrellefullsizeGettyAlMesserschmidt-56a89dd13df78cf7729f2287.jpg

Photo: Al Messerschmidt / Getty Images. Photo: Al Messerschmidt / Getty Images
Dontrelle Willis is a professional baseball player who was placed on the disabled list in 2009 due to social anxiety disorder. Willis' brief departure from his position of pitcher for the Detroit Tigers was met with skepticism by some; his diagnosis was based on a blood test and Willis denied having any feelings of anxiety.

More »

Khalil Greene

KhalilfullsizeGettyChristianPetersen-56a89dd35f9b58b7d0f3a690.jpg

Photo: Christian Petersen / Getty Images. Photo: Christian Petersen / Getty Images
Khalil Greene, shortstop for the St. Louis Cardinals, was placed on the disabled list for SAD in 2009 and 2010. Greene was known for having a long-standing pattern of emotional difficulties and had already been in treatment for anxiety issues.

More »

Susie O'Neill

Susieoneill299x448GettyQuinnRooney-56a89dcc3df78cf7729f2257.jpg

Photo: Quinn Rooney / Getty Images. Photo: Quinn Rooney / Getty Images
Olympic gold medalist swimmer Susie O'Neill spoke publicly about her problems with social anxiety both in her book "Choose to win: Achieving your goals, fulfilling your dreams", and in an interview with the Australian Women's Weekly. O'Neill's fears included standing on the podium after a win, and being chosen to participate in team events.

More »

Kim Basinger

KimBasinger299x448GettyAlbertoERodriguez-56a89dcb5f9b58b7d0f3a651.jpg

Photo: Alberto E. Rodriguez. Photo: Alberto E. Rodriguez
Actress Kim Basinger was so shy and withdrawn as a child that her parents had her tested for autism and other disorders. Basinger has since managed to develop a successful Hollywood career despite battling panic disorder, agoraphobia, and social anxiety. The HBO film "Panic: A film about coping" features commentary from Basinger about her struggles with anxiety.

More »

Sir Laurence Olivier

Olivier-56a89dda3df78cf7729f22d4.jpg

Photo: Getty / Sasha. Photo: Getty / Sasha
Actor Sir Laurence Olivier battled a severe case of stage fright during the last 10 years of his stage career, despite appearing in over 120 stage productions. His primary fear was of forgetting his lines. He coped with this fear by using avoidance strategies to shield himself from the audience and his fellow actors.

More »

Athletes Who Are Shy and How They Cope With Shyness

Shyness as an athlete can turn a life in the spotlight into a uncomfortable prison of public scrutiny. While some shy athletes blossom in the limelight, others do their best to avoid being the center of attention at all costs. Below are some famous shy athletes and how they handle shyness while maintaining their careers.
Cathy Rigby

CathyRigbyGettyStephenLovekin-56a89df35f9b58b7d0f3a77c.JPG

Photo: Getty / Stephen Lovekin. Photo: Getty / Stephen Lovekin
Cathy Rigby is an Olympic gymnast, motivational speaker and entertainer; she was the first American female to win a medal at the World Gymnastics Competition. Rigby retired from sports at age 20 to pursue her acting career despite her shyness.

Dontrelle Willis

DontrellefullsizeGettyAlMesserschmidt-56a89dd13df78cf7729f2287.jpg

Photo: Getty / Al Messerschmidt. Photo: Getty / Al Messerschmidt
Dontrelle Willis is a professional baseball player who was placed on the disabled list in 2009 for social anxiety disorder (SAD). There was some controversy over whether this was an accurate diagnosis for Willis, who spoke little of any anxiety symptoms. Willis talks about how he copes with the pressures of the sport:

"Everybody says they want to have fun, but when you struggle, it's not as fun as when you're playing well, obviously. Now my mindset is just simplified, going out there and really just thinking about myself and not really caring about anybody else as far as what they think. I'm not going out there and, excuse me, pitching with a gun to my head instead of just going out there and having fun. You make a pitch, and if you don't [execute] it, go on to the next one.

Joe DiMaggio

JoeDiMaggioGettyHultonArchive-56a89e115f9b58b7d0f3a823.JPG

Photo: Getty / Hulton Archive. Photo: Getty / Hulton Archive
Joe DiMaggio was known as the greatest baseball player of his era. Nicknamed the "Yankee Clipper", DiMaggio was the winner of numerous awards during his career. At the same time he was known to be shy:

"He was always kind of shy," manager Tommy Lasorda said of DiMaggio. "He felt uncomfortable with a lot of people, but yet he was always there as a tremendous representative of our game of baseball. He was an icon."

Khalil Greene

KhalilfullsizeGettyChristianPetersen-56a89dd35f9b58b7d0f3a690.jpg

Photo: Getty / Christian Petersen. Photo: Getty / Christian Petersen
Khalil Greene is a professional baseball player who was placed on the disabled list in 2009 because of social anxiety disorder (SAD). Greene has talked publicly about his emotional issues and taking the sport too seriously. It is believed that he was receiving treatment for anxiety at the time he was placed on the disabled list. Greene talks about his difficulties:

"It was difficult to concentrate, difficult to sustain my energy level. All my energy was wasted trying to control myself. Just trying to get myself to function, to be able to stay in the game and not be thinking so much what I'm thinking. It's just a battle to be relaxed. I'm trying to battle that and find a way to come to terms with that, trying to find those coping mechanisms."

Mia Hamm

MiaHammGettyJasonKempin-56a89e125f9b58b7d0f3a826.JPG

Photo: Getty / Jason Kempin. Photo: Getty / Jason Kempin
Mia Hamm is known as the best female soccer player in history. American-born Mia won the FIFA world player of the year award in 2001 and 2002 and played for the United States National soccer team for 17 years before retiring to start a family. As a child Mia moved often with her family and found herself shy and withdrawn:

“I was this shy, introverted kid and through the game and through athletics I was able to gain a lot more confidence and express myself on the field. It is about enjoying themselves and that's what I could tell about all of these girls. They played hard, respected the game and just had fun doing it.”

Nick Diaz

NickDiaz109x166GettyStephenShugerman-56a89dfb3df78cf7729f23aa.JPG

Photo: Getty / Stephen Shugerman. Photo: Getty / Stephen Shugerman
Nick Diaz is an Mixed Martial Arts (MMA) fighter who was suspended for one year by the Nevada State Athletic Commission (NSAC) in early 2012 for failing a drug screening test after UFC 143; marijuana was found in his system.

Rumors have swirled that Diaz may suffer from social anxiety disorder (SAD) and use marijuana to self-medicate; he admits that he was diagnosed with ADHD as a child, was put on the prescription medication Ritalin, and found marijunana a more acceptable alternative as an adult. Diaz has generally been unpredictable in media appearances appearing either shy or scattered in his speech.

Ricky Williams

RickyWilliams170x111GettyJaredWickerham-56a89de63df78cf7729f2332.jpg

Photo: Getty / Jared Wickerham. Photo: Getty / Jared Wickerham
Ricky Williams is a professional football player with a diagnosis of social anxiety disorder (SAD). At one point during his career, Ricky was too afraid to even leave his house; he dreaded going to the grocery store or anywhere that a fan might recognize him. Before publicly announcing his illness, Ricky was considered aloof and strange by the media because he would avoid fans and do interviews with his helmet on. Ricky received both medication and therapy for SAD.

Ricky had the following to say about his social anxiety:

"I've never been a really outgoing person, but I was never afraid to go out and have a good time. When I was [drafted to] New Orleans, it got to the point where I didn't want to leave my house. I didn't want to go anywhere. I didn't want to go to the grocery store. I didn't go out on dates. Occasionally, I'd go to dinner, but that was probably the extent of it."

Susie O'Neill

Susieoneill448x284GettyDarrenEngland-56a89dcc5f9b58b7d0f3a654.jpg

Photo: Getty / Darren England. Photo: Getty / Darren England
Susie O'Neill is an Australian Olympic Swimmer and Gold Medalist who has publicly discussed her struggles with social anxiety and shyness. O'Neil told Australian Women's Weekly in 1998 that she was afraid of winning because of the need to stand on the podium and become the center of attention. Team events also frightened her because of her fear of speaking to strangers. Despite her shy nature, she was dubbed the "quiet assassin" because of her fierce competitive spirit.

Gerry Collins, ABC Commentator had the following to say about Susie:

"Susie was always very shy and very quiet. But the one thing that you could see in her was this incredible competitive spirit. She wasn’t the champion who would, sort of struts along the pool so to speak. She just seemed like a normal person and I think people loved that."

Zack Greinke

ZackGreinkeGettybyKevorkDjansezian-56a89dcd5f9b58b7d0f3a65d.jpg

Photo: Getty / Kevork Djansezian. Photo: Getty / Kevork Djansezian
Zack Greinke is a Professional Baseball Player who has battled social anxiety disorder (SAD) and depression during his career as a pitcher. Greinke took seven months off during 2006 to receive treatment from a sports psychologist. Despite the obstacles he has faced during his career, Greinke made a huge comeback winning the Cy Young Award in 2009.

From Dayton Moore, the Kansas City Royals General Manager:

“I can’t speak to this because I’ve never experienced it, but I can only imagine how difficult it must have been for him to recognize his condition and evaluate it honestly and do something about it,” Moore said. “He’s been able to take all of those experiences and combine them and that’s why he is where he is today.”

Reactions: heiots and Enkidu