Career Suggestions

grapefruit

Community Member
Jul 19, 2011
MBTI
infj
Enneagram
4w3
I have don in-depth research concerning what career will be best for me when I enter the workforce, and I think that organization development consulting would be a great fit, except for the fact that when your job is don, you have to find a new company to work with. Does anyone know of a similar career where I could remain with one company? I thought about becoming an analyst, and I can think logically, but I have to consciously remind myself to do so. Diagnostic reasoning comes most naturally to me. Also, before posting, note that I am not good with remembering small details. I know when the details don't fit into place and what needs to change, but I am hard pressed to explain. Additionally, I don't do well with remembering lots of numbers or spacial awareness, and I want to do work that allows me to focus within, but still have group interaction. I thought this would be a great career if I could just have job security. Further, please don't suggest something like a psychologist because initiating change or improving a system containing more than one person is more rewarding for me, and for many reasons, psychology seems too introverted, impractical, and emotionally taxing and stressful though I am still extremely Infj. I am looking for a field where I can have a decent salary, job security, and the freedom to fully express my Infj tendencies. This is not selfish. I simply recognize that having additional resources can make it easier to introduce large scale improvements in society. When my career begins, I do not want to start my own business. Maybe in the future, but I do not want starting a business to be the guaranteer of my job when first starting out. I like to tell people how to improve and make sure they're doing it, but I don't want the stress, taxes, paperwork, and lack of mobility that can come with owning a business. Suggestions and the reasons behind them are appreciated. Thank you.

What do you do? What have you studied?

What do you do? What have you studied?

I am a soon to be college student, so I haven't exactly specialized in an area of study, but I don't want to pick something I don't like and it bothers me to attend college without having an idea of what I will do. I want to write on the side, but I like to do that at night, financial security isn't guaranteed, and while I don't want it to be really crowded so I can get privacy, I want the chance to work in small groups.

I don't think I know anyone who knew what they wanted when they started college, and I know many who changed their minds about their career path when they experienced what college has to offer. While it is a seemingly unstable approach, it yields interesting results. Flexibility and all. And I won't start on how common it is to graduate with one plan in mind and then change tracks when life presents something new and more interesting.

In terms of careers suited to the requisites you listed, what do you think of finance? The economy is always in flux and financial analysts seem to develop into niches where they consult with others but are ultimately just crunching numbers and tracking the world markets on their own.

It should also be noted that I've no clue as to the reality of working in finance or as an economist. This is just a layperson's guess.

Last edited:
I don't think I know anyone who knew what they wanted when they started college, and I know many who changed their minds about their career path when they experienced what college has to offer. While it is a seemingly unstable approach, it yields interesting results. Flexibility and all. And I won't start on how common it is to graduate with one plan in mind and then change tracks when life presents something new and more interesting.

In terms of careers suited to the requisites you listed, what do you think of finance? The economy is always in flux and financial analysts seem to develop into niches where they consult with others but are ultimately just crunching numbers and tracking the world markets on their own.

I thought about that, but math doesn't come naturally to me. I can do Algebra and all that and am currently struggling through Calculous but I think having poor spacial awareness has made math more difficult for me. I would really like to succeed, but I can't hold visual images in my head, which can be a problem when it comes to making and manipulating trend related graphs. I don't think that math has to be spacial, but in the schools where I live, that is how it is taught, so I will probably have to wait for college to become introduced to a non-spacial approach if one exists.

I thought about that, but math doesn't come naturally to me. I can do Algebra and all that and am currently struggling through Calculous but I think having poor spacial awareness has made math more difficult for me. I would really like to succeed, but I can't hold visual images in my head, which can be a problem when it comes to making and manipulating trend related graphs. I don't think that math has to be spacial, but in the schools where I live, that is how it is taught, so I will probably have to wait for college to become introduced to a non-spacial approach if one exists.
Interesting. One of the few things that I'm good at is spatial relations. With that said, I still sucked at math (I could do it though, if I worked at it--it just wasn't "intuitive" for me).

I've done a lot of research in schools/careers in a similar area, because I'm very interested in efficiency and improving/creating systems where many things interact. There are a few different kinds of areas I think you would be interested in looking into. The good thing is that entering college is a good time to look into future paths. You can take a variety of different courses to see what you like, and that can refine your decisions or offer you wholly new ideas.

Operations Research has to do with companies - creating ways for various parts of a company to work together efficiently to achieve goals. There are many different kinds of companies, so you could study many different things in undergrad and still be able to use that knowledge later.

Systems Engineering is a more generic title for the same thing applied to any kind of engineering project - how parts of a project interplay and come together to make a whole solution.

There's also a lot with computer systems engineering/network architecture if you find out you are good with software/hardware. This is why undergrad can really be good for you - if you take different kinds of classes, computer-related, statistical, financial, mathematical, maybe related to sciences like physics and chemistry, etc.

I myself am heavily interested in languages, so linguistics is most likely where I'm headed, and specifically computational linguistics. If you like languages, you might find some interesting things in linguistics.

I wish you the best of luck. And even a cursory reading of some careers can be beneficial at this point, even if it's only 15 minutes here and there. It'll give you a sense of what you might like to try studying.