Career Search

grapefruit

Community Member
Jul 19, 2011
MBTI
infj
Enneagram
4w3
In most respects, I am like the textbook INFJ. I have even read about INFJ behavior that occurs as a young child, and my behavior matched up exactly. Ever since I was young, I wanted to be an author of children's fantasy, but as I have gotten older, I don't think that's all I want to do. My aptitude tests all come out saying that I would do well in psychology, education, religious work and some even say I would be a good public policies analyst or a furniture finisher. However, I don't know that I would like some of these jobs even if I would be good at them. For instance, as a psychologist, I could give people advice, but I couldn't really help them. I might be overly drained at the end of each day or be disturbed by my clients' unique circumstances. Additionally, I want money to travel, invest in various charities, and be able to properly support anyone of my choosing even if my books don't work out, but it seems like the jobs my aptitude tests and personality profile indicate I would be good at require a lot of work for a low salary. I thought about becoming a lawyer or mediator, but I would be limited in this field if I wanted to avoid overstepping personal ethical boundaries. Things that involve a lot of numbers or meticulous research don't come easily to me, so something like a doctor or tax consultant won't work for me. I like to cook, but I would get sick of being around food, and I mostly like eating it more than cooking it, so a chef won't work. I also really like working with computers, and I enjoy programming because it helps me think iq a different way, but I wouldn't be using my natural thought process and I still want a chance to work with small groups of people. Basically my perfect job would be friendly toward technology users who prefer to have things electronically, allow me to work in an intimate, non-hostile, and collaborative setting, allow me independence without constant evaluation, bring forth a good salary, allow some travel abroad if possible, and have some variety so I'm not doing the same boring thing everyday. Any suggestions would be welcome.

Basically my perfect job would be friendly toward technology users who prefer to have things electronically, allow me to work in an intimate, non-hostile, and collaborative setting

There's a 99.99% chance that if you're working in an intimate and non-hostile workplace, then you're not working with and around technology. It's one of the least intimate fields there is.

allow me independence without constant evaluation

If you're new to a field, this won't happen, unless you plan on being one of those human billboards standing on a street corner.

bring forth a good salary

Either go into business for yourself or start earning your Masters, cause a high paying job these days isn't the same as it was 15 years ago.

allow some travel abroad if possible, and have some variety so I'm not doing the same boring thing everyday

Again, not if you're new to a field.

The jobs you sound like you want would require at least a PhD and for that, you're dealing with years of education, hundreds of thousands of dollars worth of debt and several more years of menial labor after you graduate before you can get into the "good" jobs. Aside from that, once you get past all of that, you would need to earn yourself a place in that field before you could branch out and have the kind of freedom you're looking for. A lecturer, for instance, can pretty much make their own schedule and earn a decent income, but you need to earn that publicity by writing books, publishing papers, doing research, etc.

video game design? technical support?

In most respects, I am like the textbook INFJ. I have even read about INFJ behavior that occurs as a young child, and my behavior matched up exactly. Ever since I was young, I wanted to be an author of children's fantasy, but as I have gotten older, I don't think that's all I want to do. My aptitude tests all come out saying that I would do well in psychology, education, religious work and some even say I would be a good public policies analyst or a furniture finisher. However, I don't know that I would like some of these jobs even if I would be good at them. For instance, as a psychologist, I could give people advice, but I couldn't really help them. I might be overly drained at the end of each day or be disturbed by my clients' unique circumstances. Additionally, I want money to travel, invest in various charities, and be able to properly support anyone of my choosing even if my books don't work out, but it seems like the jobs my aptitude tests and personality profile indicate I would be good at require a lot of work for a low salary. I thought about becoming a lawyer or mediator, but I would be limited in this field if I wanted to avoid overstepping personal ethical boundaries. Things that involve a lot of numbers or meticulous research don't come easily to me, so something like a doctor or tax consultant won't work for me. I like to cook, but I would get sick of being around food, and I mostly like eating it more than cooking it, so a chef won't work. I also really like working with computers, and I enjoy programming because it helps me think iq a different way, but I wouldn't be using my natural thought process and I still want a chance to work with small groups of people. Basically my perfect job would be friendly toward technology users who prefer to have things electronically, allow me to work in an intimate, non-hostile, and collaborative setting, allow me independence without constant evaluation, bring forth a good salary, allow some travel abroad if possible, and have some variety so I'm not doing the same boring thing everyday. Any suggestions would be welcome.

We sound somewhat similar. I even have a thread of my own on here :(... I was where you seem to be once. Now I'm struggling with the "you can't have everything" stage. I grew up rich, so this has been difficult. If you want to make a lot of money you're looking at finance, sexy tech job (NOT Information Tech jobs), or running your own company. I don't professions really trade off well if all you want is maximum money. Anyways those three jobs involve tons of work and success seekers as your competition. So unless you want tons if money it's going to be tough to be motivated despite long hours and insincerity. Now the other side of the coin: the fun jobs. Education, psych, religion, creative etc. They might not even be "fun", but all the people with real jobs will think you're lazy anyways. You will still work hard, but for way less money. The increased level of sincerity may be enough to make up for it. So it comes down to:

You can't have everything (unless you already have tons of $$$): fun job thats sincere but leaves you poor, or white color factory job that allows you to "spend the pain away", but leaves you empty. I had a white collar job to "fun job" and now am currently back in the white collar job. I regret leaving the fun job. I'm still working up the courage to the "fuck this!!!" moment to go back to a more meaningful job despite it's societal consequences.

Advice: pick a job that allows sincerity, but be sure you can deal with the realities of less money and people's judgements...

Seems your ideas of what you'd like to do shows you're willing to put up with some hard work if it has a worthwhile reward. You need to work a job that has some human interaction to help keep you sane and a good portion of it (computer) systems-based to keep you isolated. Ideally, a job with a mix of both consistency and variety, and where you can help people meet their needs and have great travel benefits. I would suggest working as a customer service agent or at an IT help desk for an airline company.

I feel very similar to OP. I used to study video games and I worked in a game company as a Game Tester. I finally got my promotion to become an Assistant Producer where I would be able to provide input in the design of a video game. However, my company went into the red and my dream was shattered.

After searching unsuccessfully for a new job in that sector, I thought to myself: "screw this! I'm just gonna choose money over passion!" Now my goal is to have a nice comfy 9-5 job, so I am currently pursuing a degree in Economics (first year atm) with the aim of going into the finance sector. My goal is to earn the most amount of money while spending the least effort, so I can spend the rest of my after-hours with my family or pursuing my hobbies. I want to write a book in the future, and perhaps design a video game as well. More importantly, I want to have a healthy family that I can provide for, whom I can journey with, whom can share my joys and sorrows.

I hope that helps.

I feel very similar to OP. I used to study video games and I worked in a game company as a Game Tester. I finally got my promotion to become an Assistant Producer where I would be able to provide input in the design of a video game. However, my company went into the red and my dream was shattered.

After searching unsuccessfully for a new job in that sector, I thought to myself: "screw this! I'm just gonna choose money over passion!" Now my goal is to have a nice comfy 9-5 job, so I am currently pursuing a degree in Economics (first year atm) with the aim of going into the finance sector. My goal is to earn the most amount of money while spending the least effort, so I can spend the rest of my after-hours with my family or pursuing my hobbies. I want to write a book in the future, and perhaps design a video game as well. More importantly, I want to have a healthy family that I can provide for, whom I can journey with, whom can share my joys and sorrows.

I hope that helps.

I'll wait for reality to catch up with you.. :D

Unless you strike it rich overnight, have family money or sell a great idea, most people have no money and lots of time or no time and lots of money. Any job that pays you a six figure income is going to require double-digit-hour days. Out of college, you'll be lucky to even come close to half of that level of salary and still need just as long of a work day.

Good luck writing a book, designing a video game, or having a family if you're at the office 14 hours every day!

I'll wait for reality to catch up with you.. :D

Unless you strike it rich overnight, have family money or sell a great idea, most people have no money and lots of time or no time and lots of money. Any job that pays you a six figure income is going to require double-digit-hour days. Out of college, you'll be lucky to even come close to half of that level of salary and still need just as long of a work day.

Good luck writing a book, designing a video game, or having a family if you're at the office 14 hours every day!

Yeah I know what you mean. I know it's not gonna be easy to get there, but that's no excuse to nOt trying right? :)

Most successful game producers/designers I know face serious problems with their families due to the hours required to put out a good (read: successful) video game. It seems like a requirement in this industry, albeit one I've accepted. I work best in such an environment anyway.

I tell you, though, sometimes I'm swinging around in front of a kinect, writing reports, and staring at excel matrices for so long that I wonder if it's worth it. Particuarly when the product is shit and is only likely to sell due to the license.

Indie feels like the way to go, but then there's the unstable influx of income. Decisions.

Anyway, OP, you're going to decide. Pick a path. Save some money. Become experienced and marketable. Go from there.

Last edited:
Introspection leads to direction. Something are not meant to be given to you, something's you have to discover yourself, of course, reading and research could will be part of the process.

Follow these steps:

1. Find out which aspects you really want to have in your career (e.g. dealing with people, money, maths, Fe, Ni, lots of NFs, whatever)
2. Then list a few dozen professions that have always interested you
3. Compare the aspects with the professions: Which professions include most of the aspects?
4. Take the top 3 or top 5
5. Decide intuitively to find the #1

I know it's succinct and a lot of people don't believe succinct advice. They usually want to hear essays, but I when I made my career choice I viewed everything from every perspective. And this one is a really effective method.

Its a difficult decision. Its affects almost every aspects of your life once its made, people have opinions about what would make you happy, which often comes from a comparison with themselves, i say, if they "aint" feeding you, then ignore anything which doesn't flow with how you feel, because when you say "yes", to a career, Its an "I do", and sure people would like to represent, an icon, which matches their character.

Basically my perfect job would be friendly toward technology users who prefer to have things electronically, allow me to work in an intimate, non-hostile, and collaborative setting, allow me independence without constant evaluation, bring forth a good salary, allow some travel abroad if possible, and have some variety so I'm not doing the same boring thing everyday. Any suggestions would be welcome.

You should look into consulting! You do need to stay in school and get at least a bachelor's degree, but consulting can offer the travel, collaborative environment, good salary and variety you are looking for. (PM me if you want more suggestions)

If you have time, I would recommend the book: "The Pathfinder" by Nicholas Lore. Since I started reading and really working through the book (I budgeted one year to complete it because I wanted to really take my time while still focusing on full-time work etc), I've landed 5 interviews for the companies and the roles I have wanted. I've since relocated and was promoted in my current workplace but still working towards the results I came up with after working through all of the "homework" in the book. A lot of the work is hands-on and practical so you're able to get real-world experience rather than floating in the endless possibilities of all of the careers out there which was what I had been doing for almost a year before finding this great read.

Reactions: #@&5&49
I say follow your dreams. Doesn't mean though you can't be practical about it. Day jobs have a lot to be said for. And some one who is good at computers, IT is always a good place for money. Think that there are more creative options for you than just video games though. Online, Film, TV, advertising, radio, publishing firms, anything that makes good connections.If you could combine the two - Can't think of many companies that don't have some form of IT within them. Amazing what just meeting the right person can do. Bit hard to do that if your surrounded by uncreative people