Career Change: Postman to Trainee Ambulance Crew | INFJ Forum

Career Change: Postman to Trainee Ambulance Crew

Navy22

Three
Jul 13, 2016
MBTI
INFJ
Hey Everyone,

I'm currently considering a career change from Postman to Trainee Ambulance crew, and would love some advice from some fellow INFJs :)

I'm 25 years old and constantly feel unfulfilled by a repetitive job and being around people who are not on my wavelength. I have wanted to change jobs for a long time but with no university degree the opportunities to change to something which pays reasonably well as an unskilled job are limited.

Just wanted to ask am I crazy for switching to working in such an intense high pressure job? I'm currently frustrated by the lack of mental stimulation and fulfilment but is an INFJ suited to a career in the emergency services? The lack of direction in my life has caused me to feel depressed and I'm desperate to do something that I can see a future in. I guess part of me is daunted by the ability to make vital decisions and think logically, something which is not my strong point.

Thanks.

My bro is an ENFJ and he worked as an EMT while he finished up his nursing degree. He said he loved working on the ambulance but they don't pay EMTs enough.

My mother was a paramedic on an ambulance for many years. She completed two year training for that certification while EMT training is not as intensive. It's much more intensive than EMT, but it is much higher pay. Typically, paramedics are sent for true emergencies or ALS (advanced life support). EMTs are BLS (basic life support.) Both were happy in these jobs and found them very fulfilling. Though I think my mom is an ESTJ.

Your training as an EMT and paramedic should prepare you to make vital decisions and think logically in these situations.

Reactions: Sloe Djinn
Personally I don't see EMT or Paramedic being very mentally rewarding to an INFJ. At first it may seem good since its new to you, but it's pretty much the same old, same old... day in, day out. Especially once you get a route just transporting people - ugh! You will see some fucked up shit though, it you are mentally fragile (and you probably are since you are INFJ) it could break you.