Career Change Indecision and Getting Depressed | INFJ Forum

Career Change Indecision and Getting Depressed

hardeeflag

Feb 25, 2014
MBTI
INFJ
Hi All,

I hope you can help me here. I am an INFJ with order scores that give a little F over T so I can somewhat identify with INTJ.

I'm 48 and spent 18+ years in a family HOA management business and left it in May of 2014 because it was so negative and intolerable to work in. It was great for a short stint when I was in charge of creative development of the business in the early 2000s but mush of that stopped in 2008 and not investment when back into the business so essentially spent most of time for the last 6 years putting out fires and patching unhappy clients. I also had another family member who played sabotage games and was continually trying to undermine ever person she saw as a threat. I even found out she was cooking the books and managed to shift about $15K into her own pocket. I pointed this out to the owner (another family member) and was told to be quiet, let it go and just do my job. It because just depressing even to go to work the say the least. So planned with my wife, played it conservatively paid off my house, saved almost a years of salary and quit.

I've since worked over the last 1 + year (about 9 months) doing contract work for a friend in IT Support (not doing it currently) and considered going into this field but I feel the expertise level I need to obtain is moving target and 48 I'm not sure I ever have the specialized expertise to make it worth while perusing it. So I thinking of stopping chasing this... My wife who is a nurse is encouraging me to pursue a PTA or COTA career but the waiting time to get into Community College programs is 2+ years plus @ years to finish the program. Private Medical Institutes I can get in earlier but they are charging outrageous amount of money for tuition (currently Triple of CC) and I am really balking at paying it. Plus I am not sure I am passionate about it. Wife is almost to the point of bullying to go for it. Pathetic huh....? Plus I feel and AA degree would be a step back form my current B.A.

I've thought about trying to get into perusing an MA in Counseling but honestly I am so beat down right now I just would like to try to do something that doesn't require two years+ of education to make a living. Wife is adamant that I wont be able to work as a Licensed Professional Counselor (LPC).

I've gotten to the point of Analysis Paralysis of over thinking this. Is there any INFJ here who have started their own businesses or found work they loved that had some autonomy and creativity associated with it? I'm not opposed to starting a business but I'm definitely someone who needs to recharge and I don't want to be "working it" around the clock.

Right now I'm pretty isolated and I do like my quiet time or reflective time being in total isolation is not good for me. I need something with about a 60/40 split Autonomous/Interaction with people. Anyway I'm just not sure where to go at this point. I'm now 48 and feel like my career was stolen from me (I hated it anyway) and my opportunities and time are slipping through my fingers.

I could use some help sorting this out or finding direction for the next half of my life.

Rich

What are your hobbies, what interests you?

Sorry to contradict your wife, but I think that if your passions is in becoming counselor (INFJs notoriously excel at this profession), then you could do it and you could make a living. Or you could work in house for a company doing something like conflict resolution, since you already have a corporate background. So, no, I don't think spending 2 years in school to learn a profession you very well might love and excel at, is a bad idea. You might love the time spent in school actually. Beware going deeply into debt for this program though.

Sorry to contradict your wife, but I think that if your passions is in becoming counselor (INFJs notoriously excel at this profession), then you could do it and you could make a living. Or you could work in house for a company doing something like conflict resolution, since you already have a corporate background. So, no, I don't think spending 2 years in school to learn a profession you very well might love and excel at, is a bad idea. You might love the time spent in school actually. Beware going deeply into debt for this program though.

As far as passions I really am a spiritual person and love the teachings of Jesus Christ. I also love helping people. Ironically all the time I spent figuring out my personality and type, I really like the process. Combining all these would be great. I'd love to write but I see everything in pictures so getting things into words are very difficult for me. However I have tons of picture images I'd love to translate into words....

I get the idea of debt as I have made a big process in my life of eliminating it. I paid off our house (small as it is) saved enough money to quit my job to make the career change, so yes I am very reluctant to be in debt. I think being in debt makes you a slave. That is why I am against the option of heavy tuition. I guess those are my passions, Teachings of Jesus and spiritual mysteries in his words, helping and guiding others, living conservatively (monetarily) with no debt, being a good steward... Oh I love nature and outdoors and outdoor sports like hiking etc. So what can I do with that?

What about a religious based life coach or relationship coach? Don't think those require a degree or anything really.

As far as passions I really am a spiritual person and love the teachings of Jesus Christ. I also love helping people. Ironically all the time I spent figuring out my personality and type, I really like the process. Combining all these would be great. I'd love to write but I see everything in pictures so getting things into words are very difficult for me. However I have tons of picture images I'd love to translate into words....

I get the idea of debt as I have made a big process in my life of eliminating it. I paid off our house (small as it is) saved enough money to quit my job to make the career change, so yes I am very reluctant to be in debt. I think being in debt makes you a slave. That is why I am against the option of heavy tuition. I guess those are my passions, Teachings of Jesus and spiritual mysteries in his words, helping and guiding others, living conservatively (monetarily) with no debt, being a good steward... Oh I love nature and outdoors and outdoor sports like hiking etc. So what can I do with that?

Well, you could become a Christian counselor and work either independently or with a Church? Congratulations on paying off your house. To avoid further debt, you could work on a counseling degree at the same time as taking on some kind of part time work.

Well, you could become a Christian counselor and work either independently or with a Church? Congratulations on paying off your house. To avoid further debt, you could work on a counseling degree at the same time as taking on some kind of part time work.

I like the idea of helping someone as a counselor and perhaps some emphasis on Christian counseling. I've seen behind the stage of a couple churches and it isn't always pretty. I'm sort of like "The Way" of first century as written in the book of Acts. We all fall in the mud.

What floats my boat are the things Jesus did, MLK, Ghandi etc. But I don't think they got paid well and lost their lives for it. I hate this diversion of division so many have in this world while we are being stolen from. Shoot if we, the collective, quit fighting amongst each other we could solve some serious issues.

I just wish I could get rid of this damned invisible block of moving forward. I think that is what a lot of INFJ get is things are black and white and need to be perfect to do what is envisioned in their head. The daunting thing I can't get is the idea of more education but I kind feel like I need it behind me to be taken seriously.... I guess.

This is helpful thanks.

I like the idea of helping someone as a counselor and perhaps some emphasis on Christian counseling. I've seen behind the stage of a couple churches and it isn't always pretty. I'm sort of like "The Way" of first century as written in the book of Acts. We all fall in the mud.

What floats my boat are the things Jesus did, MLK, Ghandi etc. But I don't think they got paid well and lost their lives for it. I hate this diversion of division so many have in this world while we are being stolen from. Shoot if we, the collective, quit fighting amongst each other we could solve some serious issues.

I just wish I could get rid of this damned invisible block of moving forward. I think that is what a lot of INFJ get is things are black and white and need to be perfect to do what is envisioned in their head. The daunting thing I can't get is the idea of more education but I kind feel like I need it behind me to be taken seriously.... I guess.

This is helpful thanks.

Go throw yourself off the nearest and most likely cliff, it typically gets the ball rolling effectively enough. Just do it!

If you have an interest and think you would enjoy the Christian counseling option, go look into doing it. Its not like you are signing your life away to just do this one thing for the rest of it, if you don't like it or it doesn't work out then move on to the next thing. All decisions except for a select few are temporary.

I am changing my career after being at the same place since 1987, moving locations, and the best advice I can give you is take your time and talk to a friend if needed. Someone on the forum shared some wise words with me. All is not lost. It gets a little easier every day, but tough on a man that needs tp process change every other day.

Reactions: PintoBean

This is helpful thanks.

How's the journey been?. We have many interests and thoughts in common and I'm now in the same situation so I'd like to know how it's been for you.