Can we PLEASE talk about Racism? | Page 9 | INFJ Forum

Can we PLEASE talk about Racism?

I find that all media news outlets have their own spin. Fox is right leaning, and the rest are left. I can't say I know of one that's actually independent, because in all honesty, money fuels them.

I don't believe that any of them report the news out of the GOODNESS of their heart. Really? I don't buy it. Money fuels them all and so they have their own spin.

Stastics? Pfft, the numbers can be worked to display a desired result. And since when has an INFJ cared about the majority's opinion in polls? :)

Personally, if I see a headline with this format, "[insert flashy headline], But is it really [fill in the blank]?" I completely avoid it. Nope nope nope. You're trying to sway my opinion already or make me arrive at a certain conclusion. That's not reporting, that's trying to influence (manipulate) me.

Journalism was not supposed to be about influence, it was about information. It crossed that line a long time ago.

It’s like all the worst part of the science fiction of a few decades ago….”1984” with Big Brother and controlled media…us with the NSA and our “news” stations.
Or maybe “A Brave New World” where classes are pre-decided and the rich do drugs and fuck for fun while the workers run the city.
Hopefully we don’t reach the “Fahrenheit 451” stage again, but I could see it happening.

starting this thread was like starting a thread titled "lets talk about how the earth is round". it's pretty obvious that racism continues to exist, you are just asking the crazy "earth is flat" people to come out of the works and argue with you about something that is obvious and proven.

It's more like saying that blacks are more likely to be criminals. On the surface it is simplistic and proven. Dig in a little and you'll find there is a lot more going on here.

But about racism... let's say everyone was the same race, same color tone. Fixed! Yay! What would be next? Eye color? Fine, we're all clones and look exactly the same. What's next? Height? No, addressed with the cloning. Economic status. Fine, everyone has the same amount of money. What's next? Intellect? Okay, everyone has the same intellect.

Might seem silly because I know it's not about giving everyone the same, but as long as we have differences, period, there is always going to be a form of "ism" against each other. Not saying we shouldn't strive for a world free of discrimination. This is unfortunate and I hate to be the Prophet of Doom and Gloom here.

The best solution? Aside from yelling at people different from you and calling each other racists? Being a better person, towards one person at a time. It's not, nor ever going to be a quick fix. It took me a couple of bad experiences with BMW-drivers to make me think that they're all the same. It'll take about the same amount of good experiences to undo it.

People get upset when I tell them they have to reach out and not wait for them to somehow have an epiphany and change their ways. You shouldn't HAVE TO, but that's the way the world is. And in order to change the world, we're going to have to be proactive.

Being a minority, I know I set an example in the world I live in, the circles I am within. If I do the stereotypical bad behavior, I am reinforcing it.

Overall, I echo some of the words here where it's definitely something you have to get out and do something. Though, I get it, it needs to be addressed.

But about racism... let's say everyone was the same race, same color tone. Fixed! Yay! What would be next? Eye color? Fine, we're all clones and look exactly the same. What's next? Height? No, addressed with the cloning. Economic status. Fine, everyone has the same amount of money. What's next? Intellect? Okay, everyone has the same intellect.

Might seem silly because I know it's not about giving everyone the same, but as long as we have differences, period, there is always going to be a form of "ism" against each other. Not saying we shouldn't strive for a world free of discrimination. This is unfortunate and I hate to be the Prophet of Doom and Gloom here.

The best solution? Aside from yelling at people different from you and calling each other racists? Being a better person, towards one person at a time. It's not, nor ever going to be a quick fix. It took me a couple of bad experiences with BMW-drivers to make me think that they're all the same. It'll take about the same amount of good experiences to undo it.

People get upset when I tell them they have to reach out and not wait for them to somehow have an epiphany and change their ways. You shouldn't HAVE TO, but that's the way the world is. And in order to change the world, we're going to have to be proactive.

Being a minority, I know I set an example in the world I live in, the circles I am within. If I do the stereotypical bad behavior, I am reinforcing it.

Overall, I echo some of the words here where it's definitely something you have to get out and do something. Though, I get it, it needs to be addressed.

You are right that it begins and ends with each person.
This thread was also created though to shine a light on some of the systemic problems or racism within the US and society in general.
When blacks are more likely to be hassled by police and yet statistics say that the stops of whites turned up more drugs, what does that say?
Or that they are disproportionately and more harshly sentenced than their white counterparts?
That we have more African Americans in prison now than we had as slaves before the Civil War?
That inner-city schools that are predominately black are getting funding yanked consistently for decades now perpetuating the cycle of poverty and illegal activity that results?
Those are the issues that I believe are serious, need addressing, and should be fixed.
Most of this country is still in denial about everything I just wrote though…so….*shrug*