Boss shuts me out | Page 2 | INFJ Forum

Boss shuts me out

I recommend taking an organized approach to the situation. I'm not sure where to go with what you've provided, although I think you've taken a good approach so far. Who are your allies in this? What capabilities do they have? Who your enemy is is clear, do you think others are contributing to this? What's your plan B? Plan C? I recommend speaking w a lawyer, but Im not sure they are doing anything illegal.

I would posit that you have two options: 1) Leave, or 2) Wait out the director and hope this person leaves first

Don't make any unnecessary waves, like e-mailing a kajillion paragraphs and attachments to a board member--they won't read it and likely will forward it to your boss and ask what it's all about. In this case, you indirectly handed over all your evidence to your adversary.

In my experience, people do not quickly rise through the ranks without cutting corners, being very clever, or backstabbing of some kind. Tread cautiously around this executive director. Think things through and be strategic.

When it comes down to business, expect no one to care about your personal situation when making an employment decision. You will get no sympathy if you are perceived as being inept, so focus on quality work and ask pointed questions about what the expectations are before you begin doing work.

I think your best bet is to document, document, document. Call out inappropriate behavior or activities ONLY when there are witnesses; otherwise, it's your word against his, and we can guess who will win. If you are fired, you most likely CAN collect unemployment if you can demonstrate it was a hostile work environment (see comment about documenting)--I successfully did this against a similar boss. By handing over all your e-mails, documents, and complaints, you are providing your employer ammo to oppose you whenever you file your unemployment claim.

On the other hand, if you can outlast this executive director, and he is the dumbass you described, PEOPLE WILL SEE THIS OVER TIME and act accordingly. Since he is still in the honeymoon face of being shiny and new to the organization, people will be giving him the benefit of the doubt.

Thanks, everyone. Well, I sent a carefully-crafted letter to my trusted board member, who has been asking how things are going, has expressed concern, offered support, told me I am not alone in this, etc. This is his very disappointing response:

"I have reviewed your email.
It is clear that there are several internal issues within the organization.
I have not talked with anyone regarding the board meeting (other than your email).
I can not involve myself in your concerns at this time.
The comments that you have shared are not new to me. They have been part of discussions since I joined the board 5 years ago.
You and the director need to resolve these issues!"

Clearly, he missed that part where I told him that the director will not meet with me, or respond to my emails, etc. So going through the "proper" communications channels to resolve issues has not been an option.
I plan to have a forced Hail Mary meeting with the director next week. I wanted to do it this week, but she never came into the office (!). Basically, I will say something like: "This is clearly not working. We need for you to be successful. We are all here to help to you be successful--to provide expert guidance, etc. However you need to communicate with and work with me. Tell me what I need to do."

Reactions: the