BIGOT | INFJ Forum

BIGOT

just me

Feb 8, 2009
MBTI
infj
I've watched so many changes in my life. Been around almost 7 decades. I was introduced to church and the Gospel of Christ at a young age.
Christianity just about says it all to me. It is faith-based. A bit of science is based on believing. I believe what I believe, and the world calls me a bigot. I say those calling me a bigot are bigots.

I believe the world degrades the Bible so they can live and do as they please, without conscience. Morals and ethics have been polluted. I choose not to believe the ways some believe because it is against my faith in God.
I studied Bible and even the Greek writings. I have found following God's Word to be healthy, honorable, and calming.

I do not need to fight for God, but I speak for Him at times. When Christians are called bigots, I speak my heart. Some speak their hatred. God has shown me a lot, and He has given to me gifts to share when he would have me to share them.

Christianity is not about what I do, though. It is a third person faith. It is about what He did. His teachings and actions are here to stay.

This has little to do with this forum.
Bigot-300x227.jpg

This has more to do with change, and how some will never change.

It's a noble and good idea that many of us have to practice tolerance of all beliefs. Live and let live.

In practice that can't happen forever because eventually what we value in life and what we want conflicts with the values and desires of other people, and while we think we can come to a compromise, at a certain point the conflict becomes only one reality can exist. Me getting what I want means you don't get what you want, vice versa.

So this is the world we live in, and we want what we want, we believe what we believe. We eventually force our will onto other people in order to accomplish our goals. Negatively characterizing others who don't share our beliefs helps us to shame people, and either they'll change, or they can be a warning to others like him what will happen if you behave in a way we don't like. It's just this petulant thing humans do. I don't think we'll ever outgrow it as long as we have competing interests. I'm sorry you've been slammed for your beliefs.

@just me I wouldn't take much notice of what people think of your beliefs, or morals.

It seems like people are becoming increasingly shallow, and their anger is going to be over increasingly trivial annoyances. I think it isn't worth worrying about any of it. Christians don't seek their consolation from the world, other people, possessions, self esteem, pleasure, etc, but instead, they have their consolation in Christ and his Cross. The present debauched culture just makes it easier to be clear about that.

Anyhow, don't feel bad over being called a bigot. Christ was called far worse.

My point of view is, "Thou shalt not take the Lord's name in vain" means using the Bible and the word of the God to spread personal opinions about hate, which many people who receive public attention do. In this case, people are using God as a scapegoat or excuse.

There are also Christians who live by the word of Christ, which means being helpful, charitable, and kind.

Not going to lie for all it was society was better when the culture was Christian despite the issues that existed during those times and frankly in the modern era we've gone backwards by leaps and bounds in recent years. Those crying bigots at Christians are some of the very worst hypocrites I have ever seen.

after reading this thread i feel a compelling need to spread the word of our Lord
tenor.gif

I believe what I believe, and the world calls me a bigot.
I'm afraid this has always been the lot of Christians in many other parts of the world. We have the words of Christ to encourage us:
Blessed are those who are persecuted in the cause of uprightness: the kingdom of Heaven is theirs.
Blessed are you when people abuse you and persecute you and speak all kinds of calumny against you falsely on my account.
Rejoice and be glad, for your reward [URL='https://www.catholic.org/encyclopedia/view.php?id=12332']will be great in heaven; [/URL]this is how they persecuted the prophets before you.
(Matthew 5 11-12)

But there is something in the air, isn't there?
Fair is foul, and foul is fair:
Hover through the fog and filthy air.
(Macbeth 1.1.12-13)
Some fair things that belong to long standing Christian standards are seen as foully evil by the emerging standards of other ways of thinking and vice versa. So it was in the early days of Christianity too, living as they did amongst Jewish and pagan opponents. Yelling names at people doesn't solve the problem does it?

It isn't a simple problem given the history of the Christian faith - one big issue I fear is that many people have used Christianity for their own ends, or have misunderstood it, and so the accusations are not always unjustified, just as much as when Christians are correct to judge non-Christians for not being true to the others' own values. As for clashing values - @slant is right in what she says about this. Up to a point they can co-exist, but beyond that there is inevitable conflict. Christ himself pointed out that he came to bring a sword, but this he meant metaphorically, not literally, I think.

I think one way early Christianity tried to deal with the same problem was to persist despite the insults and to 'sell' what they had to offer by showing how they loved and supported each other and supported their local communities.

My point of view is, "Thou shalt not take the Lord's name in vain" means using the Bible and the word of the God to spread personal opinions about hate, which many people who receive public attention do. In this case, people are using God as a scapegoat or excuse.

There are also Christians who live by the word of Christ, which means being helpful, charitable, and kind.

Asa, I agree everyone calling themselves Christians actually do not seek to be Christ-like. Hate can become a disease to one's own health, and is a very bad example of Christianity. If I have chosen to live a life shadowed in the Bible, I certainly do not hate others. I might "hate it" when someone is murdered. I also find it disenchanting to hear groups cause difficult times for others. I might hate rubbing things I believe are not Christian-like in the youth's faces. To me, that bothers me more than anything about it : influence on our children.

I thank you kindly for your words. Trying to live by the Words of Christ had its rewards, even while here. Hating people that don't see eye to eye with the teachings I studied, and those who throw me in your first explanation hating me for my beliefs does get old. There is a better way. Thank you, once again.

Not going to lie for all it was society was better when the culture was Christian despite the issues that existed during those times and frankly in the modern era we've gone backwards by leaps and bounds in recent years. Those crying bigots at Christians are some of the very worst hypocrites I have ever seen.

Misguided is a softer adjective than hypocrite, though I fully understand. Even Jesus used it when confronting the scribes and Pharisees. Christ was going to be killed and had every right to call them that, though. He had a job to do. I want peace, and caution how we raise our children.

God sent Jonah to prophesy to known enemies of his own people, so he tried to run away. God wanted to give them a chance to change to prevent their punishment. Jonah was upset when nothing visibly happened to those people, but God told Jonah they changed so He was showing compassion to them for listening.

Thank you, @John K, but we have information spread in the air as fast as the news media or the computer. We find it difficult to have a face to face conversation without everyone knowing about it.

Yes, Daniel still prayed to God every day after the decree to stop praying by a misguided King. Thank you.

I keep reading this title as BIGFOOT :thonking::looninati:

Jesus' message will naturally create division; this "sword" will divide the world into those who believe in Him and those who do not. His arrival will bring great conflict as those who reject Jesus as the Messiah and Son of God will turn in hatred against those who hear and believe (1 Peter 4:3–4; John 15:18–21), including the members of one's own family. copied

Please do not forget what He said in Matthew 25:31-46. We too, like the Ninevites Jonah was sent to warn, should take heed of God's Word. This could be one of the few verbal warnings the world will be getting in these times.

Last edited:
I don’t think it’s only Christians who have this sort of problem. It happens whenever people split into groups with different and very strongly held values. Politics is like this and it only takes a few minutes looking at the tabloids and the internet to see people demonising and hurling insults at each other. You get the same between generations. You even get the same problem in science - anyone who tries to explore a legitimate idea outside the scientific established canon in some areas can be treated as an idiot, or even as dangerous and will struggle to get funding for their work.

More even than ideas, values, often expressed in religious terms, have the potential to grab and control central power. I believe that’s why there is so much competition and destructive emotion generated by some of them. It’s so sad that individuals get hurt in the conflicts they generate - it doesn’t have to be like that.

I don’t think it’s only Christians who have this sort of problem. It happens whenever people split into groups with different and very strongly held values. Politics is like this and it only takes a few minutes looking at the tabloids and the internet to see people demonising and hurling insults at each other. You get the same between generations. You even get the same problem in science - anyone who tries to explore a legitimate idea outside the scientific established canon in some areas can be treated as an idiot, or even as dangerous and will struggle to get funding for their work.

More even than ideas, values, often expressed in religious terms, have the potential to grab and control central power. I believe that’s why there is so much competition and destructive emotion generated by some of them. It’s so sad that individuals get hurt in the conflicts they generate - it doesn’t have to be like that.
Maybe in a hypothetical, ideal world it doesn't have to be that way.

In this reality though, it does, it's inevitable.

Maybe in a hypothetical, ideal world it doesn't have to be that way.

In this reality though, it does, it's inevitable.
Of course you are right, sadly. What is more achievable is that it doesn’t always have to be that way.