Beauty is . . . ? | INFJ Forum

Beauty is . . . ?

Gaze

Donor
Sep 5, 2009
MBTI
INFPishy
I am on a beauty kick lately. If I could study aesthetics I would.

Anyways, but I'm intrigued by this constant link between beauty and glamour. It's interesting that once upon a time, beauty was considered a natural quality of someone, not contrived, cosmetic, or glamororous. But today, it seems we are predisposed to notice beauty when it's presented in more obvious or visible ways.

Someone can have beautiful features, traits, or qualities without being considered "beautiful" and someone can have an aura of beauty without having specific features which make them beautiful.

But it is common for us to notice beauty more when it's in our face, somewhat more glamorous, or outstanding. It's rare that it's appreciated when it's subtle.

So, what are some of the more subtle aspects of beauty you notice in people, their personalities, or the world everyday?

What do you think of the social or societal understanding of beauty today?

What do we see or not see because of the limits placed on what is seen as beautiful?

What is your definition or examples of what you consider to be atypical or unusual beauty?

Note: Although I don't want this thread to become a picture thread, you can post pics if it helps you explain.

So, what are some of the more subtle aspects of beauty you notice in people, their personalities, or the world everyday?

Simply put, confidence and acceptance of oneself. People who have become comfortable in their own skin are very admirable, as well as people who respect the uniqueness of others.

What do you think of the social or societal understanding of beauty today?

I hate this immensely. It begins when female teens feel they need to measure up to the air brushed beauties in the magazines. I don't know any girl who did not succumb to this fallacy. Girls of this age are constantly comparing themselves to their peers as well. Jeesh, I remember a "friend" (haha, not now) who would purposefully hug me so she could smudge her lipstick on my shoulder if I was better dressed. I've seen girls in their teens and throughout their 20s sabotage another girl ... ex. I hate this hair colour! (bad dye job) ... other girl says ... OH NO, I LOVE IT! (knowing it made her appearance less beautiful.)

At the same time, societal understanding of beauty lies within that generation. I often say women in their 20s are so tragic, all that beauty and so much insecurity. They may strive for the perfect body ... not realizing they already have it. Once aging or body after children take over, they realize how good they had it.

Now in my 30s, society targets my age group by pushing anti-aging products, or plastic surgery to get back that body you once had. The only advertising I have ever seen that challenges women to be happy with themselves is DOVE.

What is your definition or examples of what you consider to be atypical or unusual beauty?

Uniqueness gives character. I love looking at a person and wondering what is in their cultural ancestry. Natural beauty is best. I can tell you what I do not like ... the bargain basement barbie doll look.

I LURVE THIS QUOTE. It is me in so many ways.
KARA DIOGUARDI, Age: 38: "Someone once told me you could never be an artist until you get your nose done. And when it's time to go onstage I think, 'Shave my nose, shave my nose!' But now I'm so glad I didn't listen to them. I feel like I've grown into my looks. My mother passed away, and every year that goes by, I see more of her [in me]."

[video=youtube;3RLJwCT7BDA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3RLJwCT7BDA[/video]

Reactions: Gaze
I refused to be reined in by your format. I shake off the shackles of tyranny... rant... rant... rant.
Ok. :)
Anyone I like looks beautiful to me. I'm not making that up to sound politically correct. It's true. I'm always shocked when someone says someone close to me is less than beautiful. I just don't see it. If I stop liking you the scales fall from my eyes.

Former Miss World, Lisa Hanna is said to be beautiful. I just don't get it. Looks pretty ordinary to me.

I'm not done. Now when it comes to beautiful women. No ones tops this one in my opinion. Sintra Arunte Bronte http://ny-londoner.tumblr.com/post/802374165 One hundred percent not airbrushed.

Last edited by a moderator: