Baby the stars shine bright... | Page 21 | INFJ Forum

Baby the stars shine bright...

I came across a science fiction story set on the surface of Jupiter. Well ok, more fantasy than sf because Jupiter hasn’t got a surface - but it was an old story and they didn’t know that then. Anyway the base had a gravity device so that humans could live there in a sealed cabin. The outside was like an opaque freezing raving hell. They had volunteers who were biologically engineered to be able to live outside - but these guys went off and never returned. It looked like none had survived. In the end one of the bio engineers decided to go and see - the others were all against it because it looked like a suicide mission. He got his way in the end. But when the changes were completed and he went outside he found he was in an unimaginable paradise of wonder and great beauty - unmodified human senses were totally unable to experience it. The others hadn’t perished at all - they just didn’t want to go back!

Heh! :D That sounds like a great story to read!
So yeh....apparently my idea is nothing new. Do you remember the name of the book?

Heh! :D That sounds like a great story to read!
So yeh....apparently my idea is nothing new. Do you remember the name of the book?
I’m afraid I don’t. It was a short story in an anthology but it must be over 40 years since I read it. The idea stuck in my mind though.

Reactions: flower and Kgal
I’m afraid I don’t. It was a short story in an anthology but it must be over 40 years since I read it. The idea stuck in my mind though.

See? Great minds think a like and I think deep down within us we both know the potential is true. :D
The Pleiades Cluster! My home away from home so to speak. ;) pleiades-Tom-Wildoner-10-31-2016.jpg

See? Great minds think a like and I think deep down within us we both know the potential is true. :D
Definitely :). And if by any chance there is no life out there at the moment, I think over eons we will fill the universe with it from earth - like in the story.

The Pleiades Cluster! My home away from home so to speak. ;)
Those sisters are gorgeous aren't they. It must be a wonder if only we could see the sky from among them.

Saw this today. The universe gets more amazing by the day!

View attachment 83479
That's a fascinating image - it really brings out a lot of the complex internal structure of the cloud. It's weird to think that the atoms we are made of were born in explosions just like this one.

That's a fascinating image - it really brings out a lot of the complex internal structure of the cloud. It's weird to think that the atoms we are made of were born in explosions just like this one.

Yes it is... :D
Since I began watching the daily report on electromagnetism of our solar system I have begun to notice how my mind seems expanded by calling the sun a "Star". When I look at it like that I can easily see how every single element of the periodic table is here on the planet because we revolve around a Star.
It gives me a whole new meaning when I sing the song stating "We are Starrrr dust. We are Golden....".

Literally....

Gives me goosebumps to know this now.

MoonColors_Pace_960.jpg

I have collected some of my Full Moon shots taken over the past 10 years. I selected the shades of color with which the Moon was filmed in front of my lens and my eyes.
The atmosphere gives different colors to our satellite (scattering) based on its height with respect to the horizon, based on the presence of humidity or suspended dust. The shape of the Moon also changes: at the bottom of the horizon, refraction compresses the lunar disk at the poles and makes it look like an ellipse. And this is one of the reasons why I have chosen to present my Full Moons through a spiral arrangement that ends with a lunar eclipse.

colors-of-the-moon

Found this today on fb. No idea if it's real or where or how this came about. All I know is I like it! :D

No identification on this image.jpg

Wowwww!
"Comet Leonard (Lion Heart) photographed on Christmas eve by Michael Jaeger and Lukas Demetz using an 8 inch telescope in Namibia."

Comet Leonard by Michael Jaeger dec 24th2021.jpg

Lenticular galaxies. Beautifully poignant.
hubble-space-telescope-best-pictures.jpg
(NGC 524 ESA/Hubble & NASA)

"This faint cosmic whirl is the centre of lenticular galaxy NGC 524, located in the constellation of Pisces, some 90 million light-years from Earth.

Lenticular galaxies are believed to be an intermediate state in galactic evolution – they are neither elliptical nor spiral. Spirals are middle-aged galaxies with vast, pin wheeling arms that contain millions of stars. Along with these stars are large clouds of gas and dust that, when dense enough, are the nurseries where new stars are born.

When all the gas is either depleted or lost into space, the arms gradually fade away and the spiral shape begins to weaken. At the end of this process, what remains is a lenticular galaxy – a bright disc full of old, red stars surrounded by what little gas and dust the galaxy has managed to cling on to."

Saw this today from the Chandra images released lately. The concentric images in the midst of the crab nebula is intriguing.

crab nebula composite from Chandra observatory.jpg