Awareness of Logic Fail?? | Page 2 | INFJ Forum

Awareness of Logic Fail??

2. particular method of reasoning

if it makes sense to the person saying it, it is logical to them. if it doesn't make sense to you, you could not follow HIS logic--

The only problem I have here is that there are widely accepted logical fallacies that anyone can use (accidentally or intentionally), regardless of who that person is or where they come from. My understanding of logic is that it is universal to everyone. No one person has different sound logic. If that were the case, then we could not argue whether something is good or bad because everyone's logic is relative.

The only problem I have here is that there are widely accepted logical fallacies that anyone can use (accidentally or intentionally), regardless of who that person is or where they come from. My understanding of logic is that it is universal to everyone. No one person has different sound logic. If that were the case, then we could not argue whether something is good or bad because everyone's logic is relative.
yesyes, a logical fallacy isnt logical; good distinction.

however, i disagree with universal [anything] logic; subjectivity will reign supreme-- at least for now. idealistically though, i see universal logic as fairly evident; self preservation being the main goal of any reasoning, followed by X, Y, Z, etc.

if you disagree with my universal logic as being self evident, ie self preservation is first, regarding natural law and instinct, then you've proven my point. if you agree with it, then you've left room for it-- would you elaborate further please?

however, i disagree with universal [anything] logic; subjectivity will reign supreme-- at least for now. idealistically though, i see universal logic as fairly evident; self preservation being the main goal of any reasoning, followed by X, Y, Z, etc.

I think there is a difference between a rational argument and a logical one. Logic is only objective and I really feel that it tries to find the right answer without a shred of subjectivity and if the answer it comes to is subjective, I think logic is logically forced to not make a conclusion.

Rational arguments can come to conclusions that have much subjectivity to them. I find that when I am arguing with someone, they try to poke holes in my rational argument by stating logical fallacies. Well, I'm not basing my argument entirely on logic and have never said that. You're trying to correct my Spanish when I'm actually speaking in HTML (or whatever).

The more logic your arguments are based on, the stronger they will be because logic is a universally accepted language for communicating new ideas.

I think there is a difference between a rational argument and a logical one. Logic is only objective and I really feel that it tries to find the right answer without a shred of subjectivity and if the answer it comes to is subjective, I think logic is logically forced to not make a conclusion.

Rational arguments can come to conclusions that have much subjectivity to them. I find that when I am arguing with someone, they try to poke holes in my rational argument by stating logical fallacies. Well, I'm not basing my argument entirely on logic and have never said that. You're trying to correct my Spanish when I'm actually speaking in HTML (or whatever).

The more logic your arguments are based on, the stronger they will be because logic is a universally accepted language for communicating new ideas.
so you're suggesting objective = logical? and logic is objective? i can dig that; subjective = emotional, then?

what would rationality be then? imaginative?

but what IS objective? and what IS logical?

Last edited:
Maybe I should go ahead and clear this up. I'm the one who said "I don't see the point in...." and "I don't understand why...." And I say those phrases ALL the time. And time and time again Princess Anastasia will always explain to me what the point is or try to make me understand, even though I already KNOW. It's just that I really, truly don't give a fuck and don't want to either see or hear what's going on, especially when it comes down to conflicts that I find to be unnecessary even if other people feel they are necessary.

I figured that I could end all the speculation of why someone would say those things as a figure of speech. Now you know.

so you're suggesting objective = logical? and logic is objective? i can dig that; subjective = emotional, then?

Yes. Logic is objective and emotion is subjective. Logic is also rational or reasonable. A dictionary can clear it up.

Yes. Logic is objective and emotion is subjective. Logic is also rational or reasonable. A dictionary can clear it up.
a definition can only say so much. if you can still argue it, what does it serve? universal concepts need to be universally accepted, right?

a definition can only say so much. if you can still argue it, what does it serve? universal concepts need to be universally accepted, right?

Logic is an established scientific discipline that studies the methods for evaluating arguments. It is not subjective. It is completely devoid of emotion. It is closely related to mathematics the scientific language of truth. It matters not whether you accept it. It is considered scientific and is accepted by the scientific community. In logic, argument can have true or false premises or have or lack validity. Therefore, if you think an argument fails it makes sense to dispute the premises or the validity. It makes no sense to dispute logic itself.

May I suggest, The Power of Logic by Howard-Snyder, Howard-Snyder and Wasserman.

Well, couldn't saying "I don't see the point in [x]" be correctly interpreted as saying "I think that [x] is a waste of human effort"? In that case, it is not a question of logic and is a logical expression of emotion.

I do not see the point in x, is simply a statement in English. It is in no way a logical argument because all though it presents a conclusion it presents no premises. In other words, the statement is simply opinion.

Logic is an established scientific discipline that studies the methods for evaluating arguments. It is not subjective. It is completely devoid of emotion. It is closely related to mathematics the scientific language of truth. It matters not whether you accept it. It is considered scientific and is accepted by the scientific community. In logic, argument can have true or false premises or have or lack validity. Therefore, if you think an argument fails it makes sense to dispute the premises or the validity. It makes no sense to dispute logic itself.

May I suggest. The Power of Logic by Howard-Snyder, Howard-Snyder and Wasserman.
lmao you talk of it like a religion; or absolute truth. science itself is never ending, a la scientific method-- how can something possibly never ending have a truth? and before "baw the universe is finite"-- possibly means its not, according to science.

I do not see the point in x, is simply a statement in English. It is in no way a logical argument because all though it presents a conclusion it presents no premises.
At a bull riding competition--
"ugh i dont see the point in that"

you can't see why someone couldnt see the point in that?

if you disagree with my universal logic as being self evident, ie self preservation is first, regarding natural law and instinct, then you've proven my point. if you agree with it, then you've left room for it-- would you elaborate further please?

Sorry [MENTION=2259]Kmal[/MENTION], I think I'm a little confused here. I don't want to misword my response to mislead you, so I'm not going to respond directly in the context you provided by saying I agree or disagree. Instead, I'll just offer my reasons for believing that there is a sense of universal logic among mankind.

First of all, I want to clarify that I do not equate logic with knowledge, meaning that I don't believe man is supposed to automatically understand their immediate environment. If that were the case, the earth's shape wouldn't have been brought into question. I think that logic is an underlying tool that everyone is capable of honing and possesses to some degree from birth. Like all tools man is born with, some can completely ignore it and pursue other things, but that doesn't mean it will disappear. It will be a weaker tool to those that don't hone it, but society to a certain degree almost forces everyone to hone it in it's most commonly interpreted form: mathematics.

Before I continue, I'd like to say that I'm glad you brought up self-preservation. As an instinct, this is very universal. I also think this is where logical reasoning began, with a general 2 premise argument (I need to survive, doing X will aid my survival, therefore I must do X). I can think of no one that has not used this argument to justify something. Whether or not X was the right thing to do is another matter entirely, and going into that would be an issue for an argument of ethics, so I'll digress. In short, I believe logical reasoning didn't start off as elegantly as it would later become, but was almost like a fast reflexive thought process. I actually like how this is going; let's continue chronologically from here until we make a round trip to that last paragraph.

As humans evolved, they discovered new tools to aid their survival, but logic still helped determine what tools made the cut (think about the caveman who 'discovered' the wheel and the other guy with a square block). The weeding out process of these tools is another form of logic. Depending on what theories you ascribe to regarding the technological advancement (ie tools, fire, etc.) of humans, I think you'll see that the logic used here is universal. Allow me to elaborate:

If tribe A and tribe B (assuming both tribes flourished and succeeded as opposed to dying out) have no contact with each other at all, then why did tribe A and tribe B determine that fire was a useful tool to keep within their tribe? I think the answer to that is, again, logic (I'm going to go ahead and nip this in the bud before red flags with other members arise: even if you wish to attribute to maintaining of fire to spiritual beliefs, today we now have logical proofs that defend [and attack] religion, so by derivation, logic would still be behind the choice to repeatedly use fire).

Here's another point (the last point being the general 2 premise argument) for universal logic. You can also look at many other tools that were 'discovered,' such as simple machines or archaic weaponry and find that their continued use is attributed to a form of a logical proof.

Let's fast forward this to the time when logic was formally recognized by people and became something much more than an unknown instinct that would be later applied to things that don't use the premise "I need to survive" to justify the final claim. Of course, by this time, people had already began questioning very large things that we still don't fully understand today. However, no one could explicitly provide a strong sound argument for the answers they provided to these questions. If we look at the dialogues involving Socrates, we can see how he proves that the people who answered these questions really didn't answer them soundly (albeit he was a bit of a dick about the whole thing). It was really from this point that logic became more complicated with proofs, fallacies, and what have you... Anyway, enough with the history. Sorry that I got off track; this turned into a ramble more than anything here.

Today, we understand things far better than tribes A or B did. We can comprehend math, appropriately predict where an object will fall based on measurements taken from tools that are fairly new in the history of humankind, and even tackle proving or disproving the existence of an almighty creator. You can say that in the times of tribes A and B, doing these things wouldn't have been possible. I'll even agree with you. Times have changed, the knowledge we have access to has changed (quantum displacement anyone?), and the tools we have to live our lives and help create more awesomeness has changed. However, even with all the time in the world, the tools (most of which wouldn't exist without math and forms of basic logic), and the knowledge (most of which we would not have without basic to advanced logic), we still would not be where we are today or where we're going to be tomorrow without the basic foundations of logic behind us.

So, do I believe that there is one form of logic that is universal? Yes. Do I believe that everyone is capable of using it to its full potential? In this current society, I'd say no. There are a lot more variables now that muddle in with the processes of logic, such as odd hormone balances, mental illnesses, and little self control, that prevent people from using it.

I think there is a difference between a rational argument and a logical one.

Actually, they're not; rational arguments fall into the realm of logic and are commonly used interchangeably. If you google rational argument, you'll get this definition:

In logic, an argument is a set of one or more meaningful declarative sentences (or "propositions") known as the premises along with another meaningful declarative sentence (or "proposition") known as the conclusion

Also, the only logic textbook I still own has this to say about rationalizing:

Using a false pretext in order to satisfy our desires or interests.

So depending on what definition you choose to look at, you can find a different answer. If you choose the first definition, you'll find that rational and logical arguments are the same. If you choose the second definition, you'll find that "rational" arguments are logically unsound and don't satisfy much other than personal desires or interests.

lmao you talk of it like a religion; or absolute truth. science itself is never ending, a la scientific method-- how can something possibly never ending have a truth? and before "baw the universe is finite"-- possibly means its not, according to science.

You are making assumptions. If you read what I said you would see that it is a method. A method that depends on each step of an argument being proven to be both true and valid before the argument can be declared sound.

"You talk of it like a religion" is your opinion which you cannot prove therefore, you have just made an unsound argument.

At a bull riding competition--
"ugh i dont see the point in that"

you can't see why someone couldnt see the point in that?

I have no wish to be rude to you. If you notice I have not lmao at any of your statements. However, the one above clearly demonstrates that you do not understand what you are reading. The question is not what I can see. The question is whether or not that statement is a logical argument.

Furthermore, I don't really understand what the dispute is. A person made a statement. [MENTION=1798]Princess Anastasia[/MENTION] questioned the statement being presented as if it was a logical argument. The statement does not meet the established rules for a logically sound argument. The statement still stands as an opinion. Why is this not satisfactory to you? Princess Anastasia simply is expressing his own opinion that opinions should not be passed off falsely as arguments but instead accepted for what they are, opinions. This in no way invalidates the right of the person who made such a statement to hold their opinion. It is amazing to me that this is not clear.

Last edited:
Also, after I posted my last post here, I've just skimmed a lot of what else has been said.

I think there's a serious misunderstanding with logic. Logic does not provide an absolute answer. Does that mean everything is relative? No. My logic professor a few years back taught us about the difference of absolutism (definite answer to any question) and relativism (any answer is as good as the next). There is a spectrum between these two terms. Logic is used to help place an answer closer to the absolutist side of the spectrum. It is impossible for an answer to be right on the dot of the absolutist side, however, because there's a problem with the absolutist mindset: infinite regress. This means that, you'll have to be able to prove why the answer is right, why that method is right, why that method is right, etc. etc, which will result in a never ending cycle of "why?"

Relativism isn't perfect either in the statements some people make to support relativism. The statements are always self contradictory because of the subject matter.

In short, a lack of an absolute answer is not grounds for disregarding logic entirely. It is not possible to have a true absolutist answer.

Reactions: not sure
aw, i didnt mean to offend you. it's just when a method has no end, how does it have an end? maybe it's just the tone, and i'm arguing a moot point; but obviously the question is, what is logical? objective? it is because it is? why is it circular?

but what IS objective? and what IS logical?

Or rather the other way around. Logic = objective and so forth.

[MENTION=3710]kiu[/MENTION] lolz, Dan Howard-Snyder was my philosophy of religion professor fall quarter. Kinda funny.

[MENTION=1313]Detective Conan[/MENTION] I see what you're saying, it depends on how you interpret it. I was trying to distinguish a purely logical argument from one that has a certain, well, emotional appeal. Not purely emotional, but enough so that it is not purely logical because logic, as described above, is a sort of operating system for us to argue with set rules and one of those rules is to not use emotions in your arguments.

Thus, I felt like making a distinction by using the word rational because I feel that you can use some subjective material in your arguments and still not be irrational. Opposite of irrational=rational but you could use a different word like reasonable or something but that doesn't sound as good as rational.

Reactions: not sure
You are making assumptions. If you read what I said you would see that it is a method. A method that depends on each step of an argument being proven to be both true and valid before the argument can be declared sound.

True but I want to point out that just because an arguments premises suck doesn't mean that the conclusion isn't true unless some other argument disproves that conclusion. I haven't seen this on this thread but I just think it's interesting to think about.

aw, i didnt mean to offend you. it's just when a method has no end, how does it have an end? maybe it's just the tone, and i'm arguing a moot point; but obviously the question is, what is logical? objective? it is because it is? why is it circular?

I don't understand what you mean at all. All of these terms you have mentioned have both English definitions and precise Logical definitions. It is a simple matter to research them. Anyone who is going to discuss a topic must at least agree on definitions before starting or they are engaging in a fool's errand. Since, both English and Logic are established I cannot see it unreasonable to use their definitions when speaking in English or making use of Logic.

As I said before, one is free to hold your opinion. However, if your opinion does not take the form of premises and a conclusion which can be tested individually for truth and validity it cannot be considered a logical argument. However, you can still hold your opinion.

Last edited: