[INFP] - Asking the social diplomacy masters (roomie issues) | INFJ Forum

[INFP] Asking the social diplomacy masters (roomie issues)

penelopesf77

Three
Dec 25, 2021
MBTI
infp
Enneagram
Hi fellow sensitive people!

I greatly admire INFJ's social abilities, particularly your poker face/political skills during low-grade tension. Obviously this also has to do with maturity, but I've watched a few of you maneuver (not maliciously) when I could see you didn't like someone (again, low-grade distaste), and I think this is a strength that comes more naturally to you than most.

I would like some advice. I think I kind of know the answer, but you guys are excellent re-framers, maybe I'm missing something :). Forgive the long post.

I moved into a new place I found on craigslist in November. I now realize that I don't like one of my roommates (Sam). I can see that his harshness comes from a lot of unhealed trauma, and none of it has ever been directed at me personally, AND I feel guilty for being repulsed by someone else's wounds, but things he's said offhandedly in conversation trigger the fuck out of me. He flat-out called his mother a slut when he was telling me about his childhood (he was tipsy at the time and walked it back immediately, but you can't really un-say that)--this was the worst he's said so far, the other things have been smaller (eg pointing out an older female RE agent's "gross neck" on one of her RE mailers--and this is a family friend of his that was helping him search for a house!). I know, I KNOW that anything he says/thinks about others is 100x gentler than he must be on himself, but it's hard to be around.

As to the other roomie, I like her, but the two of them have lived together for a long time/are very close (she's gay so it's not a weird dynamic). I can tell she is way more politically aligned with me, though we obviously do not talk about politics in the house, just offhanded comments that indicate her worldview--but she is not bothered by his low-key misogyny/I'm not even sure she sees it? Either way, I wouldn't really care, but here's where the rubber meets the road:

Hers is the only razor that's in the shower. Someone used it last week and left a bunch of pubes in it. I haven't shaved in months (cold winters in Seattle/not dating anyone rn), but did during the summer (meaning she's seen me as a shaver). She sent a group text that her razors and shower soap bars are "not for pubic--I mean public use", hardy har. Sam immediately responded that he was looking at it, it's a cool razor, but he didn't use it. I DEFINITELY did not use it (so much ewww, plus blood-borne pathogens, no thanks) and said I haven't shaved in months, it wasn't me, but I'm now so uncomfortable in the house as the "new" person that this kind of thing gets pinned on. There is also a high possibility that it could be Sam's new girlfriend, who definitely showered there the night in question, but she's a nurse anesthetist so I assumed she'd be equally conscious of germs/would never do that. HOWEVER, I heard them getting into the shower the other night (I share a wall w the one bathroom in the house, walls very thin) and she immediately goes "this is such a cool razor, I was looking at this--is it yours?", and Sam says no, proceeds to tell the awkward story (though notably does not blame me/express suspicion), and they laugh about it. She is super codependent with him/has bad boundaries, and after hearing her both express interest in the razor (even said she had been wanting to try this one out as it's a fancy mail-order subscription kind), AND hearing her assume that it was his, I'm kinda thinking she could have been the culprit.

I now just feel so uncomfortable because if Sam's gf used it (which she denied to Sam when he was telling the story), both Sam and other roomie think I'm a weirdo liar person. If Sam was the one who used it, I'm living with a weirdo liar, and other roomie still thinks I'm the weirdo liar. Both of these options make my home such an uncomfortable place to be. I console myself by telling myself I was never going to actually be friends with these people (weird/boundary-less interpersonal dynamics I won't go into here), I just need to keep my head down and keep saving for my business plan, then I can move out in a year. I'm rarely home anyway, as I work ft and attend school ft, AND try to keep up a social life on weekends.

If you're still here, thank you for reading. I welcome ANY input/feedback people feel like sharing!!

This is one of many things about the "own nothing and be happy" dystopia that just cringes if not enrages me at times as privacy well the lack of it in group homes is a real issue as seen here. As for Sam there isn't a whole lot one can do beyond just putting up until a better living situation comes along as keeping the peace would be a wise choice than confronting only to cause some real drama.

You didn't do anything wrong so just continue existing within that mindset.
People love to make shit up in their own heads, can't do much about it most of the time. Maybe suggest to them that they lock up their razor so it doesn't happen in the future. Probably everyone should have their own locked up area for such things since it's become an issue.

Yeah, I understand not wanting them to think you're a liar, but remember that they probably aren't thinking of it as much as you are. If it would make you feel better then I might mention the conversation you heard - meaning you don't think it was Sam and you know it wasn't yourself- and suggest that she keep it up when guests are over at the very least. If she asks why you're yelling her, mention that it made you uncomfortable because you're the newbie and likely to be blamed, tell people how you feel. That's just me. I understand wanting to avoid it, but I wouldn't be able to hold stuff like that in if it was bothering me that bad.

I hate walking on eggshells.

Good luck.

Hi fellow sensitive people!

I greatly admire INFJ's social abilities, particularly your poker face/political skills during low-grade tension. Obviously this also has to do with maturity, but I've watched a few of you maneuver (not maliciously) when I could see you didn't like someone (again, low-grade distaste), and I think this is a strength that comes more naturally to you than most.

I would like some advice. I think I kind of know the answer, but you guys are excellent re-framers, maybe I'm missing something :). Forgive the long post.

I moved into a new place I found on craigslist in November. I now realize that I don't like one of my roommates (Sam). I can see that his harshness comes from a lot of unhealed trauma, and none of it has ever been directed at me personally, AND I feel guilty for being repulsed by someone else's wounds, but things he's said offhandedly in conversation trigger the fuck out of me. He flat-out called his mother a slut when he was telling me about his childhood (he was tipsy at the time and walked it back immediately, but you can't really un-say that)--this was the worst he's said so far, the other things have been smaller (eg pointing out an older female RE agent's "gross neck" on one of her RE mailers--and this is a family friend of his that was helping him search for a house!). I know, I KNOW that anything he says/thinks about others is 100x gentler than he must be on himself, but it's hard to be around.

As to the other roomie, I like her, but the two of them have lived together for a long time/are very close (she's gay so it's not a weird dynamic). I can tell she is way more politically aligned with me, though we obviously do not talk about politics in the house, just offhanded comments that indicate her worldview--but she is not bothered by his low-key misogyny/I'm not even sure she sees it? Either way, I wouldn't really care, but here's where the rubber meets the road:

Hers is the only razor that's in the shower. Someone used it last week and left a bunch of pubes in it. I haven't shaved in months (cold winters in Seattle/not dating anyone rn), but did during the summer (meaning she's seen me as a shaver). She sent a group text that her razors and shower soap bars are "not for pubic--I mean public use", hardy har. Sam immediately responded that he was looking at it, it's a cool razor, but he didn't use it. I DEFINITELY did not use it (so much ewww, plus blood-borne pathogens, no thanks) and said I haven't shaved in months, it wasn't me, but I'm now so uncomfortable in the house as the "new" person that this kind of thing gets pinned on. There is also a high possibility that it could be Sam's new girlfriend, who definitely showered there the night in question, but she's a nurse anesthetist so I assumed she'd be equally conscious of germs/would never do that. HOWEVER, I heard them getting into the shower the other night (I share a wall w the one bathroom in the house, walls very thin) and she immediately goes "this is such a cool razor, I was looking at this--is it yours?", and Sam says no, proceeds to tell the awkward story (though notably does not blame me/express suspicion), and they laugh about it. She is super codependent with him/has bad boundaries, and after hearing her both express interest in the razor (even said she had been wanting to try this one out as it's a fancy mail-order subscription kind), AND hearing her assume that it was his, I'm kinda thinking she could have been the culprit.

I now just feel so uncomfortable because if Sam's gf used it (which she denied to Sam when he was telling the story), both Sam and other roomie think I'm a weirdo liar person. If Sam was the one who used it, I'm living with a weirdo liar, and other roomie still thinks I'm the weirdo liar. Both of these options make my home such an uncomfortable place to be. I console myself by telling myself I was never going to actually be friends with these people (weird/boundary-less interpersonal dynamics I won't go into here), I just need to keep my head down and keep saving for my business plan, then I can move out in a year. I'm rarely home anyway, as I work ft and attend school ft, AND try to keep up a social life on weekends.

If you're still here, thank you for reading. I welcome ANY input/feedback people feel like sharing!!
You were honest. You didn't use it and you said you didn't. That's the extent that it stops being your problem. You can't control these other people's behavior, if they do or don't believe you. Also- you are getting triggered by this other guys behavior and it's good that you can recognize that. You can set boundaries with him or talk to him about it, but too ultimately you are only in control of your own actions so you are going to have to think up what to do when you realize you're getting triggered- change the topic, say something, leave the room, journal about it, etc these are just ideas you will need to figure out what works for you. And also you have to determine if these are situations you can work though and learn to handle, or if the environment you are living in isn't going to be good for you and therefore you need to live somewhere else. If that's not an option then you have to figure out how to deal with it while making a plan to get out. You have to put yourself first and make sure you live somewhere where you feel comfortable, but, understanding no living situation is going to be perfect and we have to learn how to accept other people's flaws and set boundaries.

You were honest. You didn't use it and you said you didn't. That's the extent that it stops being your problem. You can't control these other people's behavior, if they do or don't believe you. Also- you are getting triggered by this other guys behavior and it's good that you can recognize that. You can set boundaries with him or talk to him about it, but too ultimately you are only in control of your own actions so you are going to have to think up what to do when you realize you're getting triggered- change the topic, say something, leave the room, journal about it, etc these are just ideas you will need to figure out what works for you. And also you have to determine if these are situations you can work though and learn to handle, or if the environment you are living in isn't going to be good for you and therefore you need to live somewhere else. If that's not an option then you have to figure out how to deal with it while making a plan to get out. You have to put yourself first and make sure you live somewhere where you feel comfortable, but, understanding no living situation is going to be perfect and we have to learn how to accept other people's flaws and set boundaries.
THIS!! Thank you so much, this is exactly what I came here for <3

Hi @penelopesf77. Welcome to the forum.

First, you definitely cannot move? Is it possible to sublet and find a new place on CL? I know it is hard to find apartments right now. If you can't move, one year (as you mentioned) is a good limit.

I'm asking this because even if you keep your head down and maintain the attitude that you are behaving ethically, the toxic dynamics and behaviors will still bleed over into your mental space.

Try to focus on your wellness and keep to yourself. Focus on activities that will keep you mentally and emotionally balanced. (A good habit when you need to vent is to write a letter and then delete it without sending it.)
Be friendly, but the way you're friendly at work. (Bonus life skill points if you've worked in the service industry – be friendly like that.) The trick to being nice isn't about being fake or wanting anything in return. It's about treating everyone with respect by default.

Get a shower caddy. (Target has them for $3. I just checked.) Keep all your shower tools, soap, shampoo, etc, in the caddy and make it noticeable that you bring your own things, including a razor, in and out of the bathroom with you. While the mysterious misuse of the fancy razor is trivial, the politics surrounding it in your living space are not.

Avoid Sam, but don't make it obvious. Treat him like your coworker or a customer you have to be nice to. Try to stick to topics that won't inspire him to ramble and try to stay mentally prepared for him to go off track and say something offensive. You do not have to sit through him spouting off. Politely leave the conversation in the middle.

And yes, spend as much time in your own space (room) as possible when you are home.

I really would try to find a new place, though.

Best to you.

Talk to him less, when nothing is said nothing is left unsaid.

He asked for advice not profound words of enlightenment. Your like that guy at the bar that tips with rolls of cash but instead of cash it's wisdom. :p

Great advice though.

Last edited:
Reactions: Anomaly and Pin
I think they are a lucky bunch to have a new roomie who is this honest as you are. I agree that you just keep reminding yourself that you've your values and you are honoring them, especially being honest.
It's okay that you are the new one and that the others need time to get to know you, just don't anything get into your head. No matter what they think, it doesn't change who you are. Being honest was your responsibility and you were.

I mean.. the whole initial story of the others (not you) is simply about the lack and need of boundaries. It's not about wether or not you (and others) are trustworthy. (This just got dumped on top of it.) You had a closer look into the general roomie situation and their problems, which were probably already there before you. If that wasn't the case then the girl might not have blown this up this much. (You just share the general topic of boundaries. Because.. hell don't we all to some extent.)

These kind of living arrangements come with some drama, that is basically normal in roomie situations (differences, dislikes etc). It's a compressed training field for social interaction of all kind, and they tend to change frequently. ^^" But that isn't an excuse for unhealthy amounts. - From everything you learned about others and yourself, I'm sure next place you will pick more wisely and you will be more content.

Reactions: Anomaly and Wyote
You didn't do anything wrong so just continue existing within that mindset.
People love to make shit up in their own heads, can't do much about it most of the time. Maybe suggest to them that they lock up their razor so it doesn't happen in the future. Probably everyone should have their own locked up area for such things since it's become an issue.
This.
---

@penelopesf77

Also, people who get caught in lies, tend to lash out defensively or become embarrassed and deny, so it's best to just let it go.

I agree with what @Asa said about bringing in your own shower caddy. It also ensures whomever is crossing boundaries using other people's things, isn't using yours.

As for toxic roommates, I've been there. One had sex in my bed when I was gone on vacation, but denied it to my face despite me finding all evidence between the sheets, including her dirty underwear. You will never be able to avoid difficult people, but you can clearly state boundaries, being forthright, or decide it isn't what you signed up for in the end. You don't have to be Sam's sounding board for his issues, so if he's crossing territory there, then you have every right to remove yourself or tell him that he is making you uncomfortable.

Living with strangers is difficult no matter who they are, and you will inevitably face conflicts. Continue being true to yourself, and what you are willing to handle. You could suggest a meeting where expectations or 'house guidelines' are discussed, and everyone could state their boundaries. I find when this is talked about openly, there is trust built, and less room for potential conflicts or passive aggression down the road. Then, when a visitor comes, instead of an error being pinned on others in the house, it falls to the visitor who doesn't know about the established boundaries (which should absolutely be the responsibility of whomever's guest it is to tell them).

Best of luck to you.

Reactions: Wyote and Asa