Ask an Aussie

Night Owl

This Bird Has Flown
Apr 9, 2016
MBTI
INFJ
Enneagram
Never
Upon request ( [MENTION=14664]dang[/MENTION] ) this thread has been extracted from the womb of potentiality.

Ask an Australian any quires relating to Australia.

Other Australian forum members, answer away.

Last edited:
Reactions: Milktoast Bandit
Did I see somewhere you live on a farm? What animals (pests or otherwise) do you deal with the most?

Did I see somewhere you live on a farm? What animals (pests or otherwise) do you deal with the most?

Yesss, I do. In fact I've only just been here for a year and am physically out of action to be of much assistance. No chickens yet. That's next on the list. There's cows on the property, but they're someone else's - they're the lawnmowers and help make the land feel occupied. My dealings with animals mainly consists with the native fauna. The biggest pests are the possums - growling at night like demons on steroids, fighting like cats, climbing on the roof, and falling down the chimney. So many birds, they're beautiful. Two large wedge-tail eagles live in the vicinity. At night one can hear bats screeching. Had one stuck in the house the other day. Cute little things. A family of house mice in the roof at the moment. But in the process of breaking that family up, if you know what I mean. Kangaroos, wallabies but mainly Pademelon's and possums abound where I live, at night one can't walk anywhere without bumping into one. Had two snakes come by the house a couple of months ago in summer. A Tiger snake and King Brown - both will kill ya good. Oh and there's always a blue tongue lizard here and there, and my favourite, which I saw the other day an echidna strolling outside my bedroom window.

Reactions: hn87c901 and 5r6jhd
So for a period in history, many convicts were sent to Australia from Britain due to crowded prisons (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Convicts_in_Australia). I have heard a few people say that there is an unusual element of criminality due to Australia's heritage of being a dumping ground for convicts? Do you think this is true, or is it pure silliness?

So for a period in history, many convicts were sent to Australia from Britain due to crowded prisons (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Convicts_in_Australia). I have heard a few people say that there is an unusual element of criminality due to Australia's heritage of being a dumping ground for convicts? Do you think this is true, or is it pure silliness?

Hahah. That made me lol. It's great hearing what views are out there. I was aware of Australia's convict identity, but not so much the view of heightened/unusual criminality. In the past it was a taboo if one had a convict ancestor. Now it's like finding a gold nugget, which everyone is proud of. The romanticism of nostalgia I guess. But now into business...
...an estimated 4 million [that's 17% of the Australian population] Australians are related to convicts deported from Britain to Australia in the 18th and 19th centuries, geneaologists say.

But although 2 per cent were guilty of serious crimes such as murder or assault, the vast majority -- 87 per cent of men and 91 per cent of women -- were convicted of minor offences, particularly property crimes. They included stealing fish from a river or pond, embezzlement, receiving or buying stolen goods, setting fire to underwood or petty theft.[see]

In all honesty, such a position is pure silliness. The last convict was deported from Britain and arrived in Australia in 1868, which is a long time for social, behavioural and economic patterns to change not only for the individual convict, but intergenerationally. Beside such a view which simplifies the present based on the past (if it were even true that criminality was higher in Australia in the past) criminality is by no means an unusual element in Australian society. Of course there's certain suburbs where one ought to expect the worst.

The following two statistics demonstrate that there is nothing unusual (high) about the crime in Australia:
"Note: Crime statistics are often better indicators of prevalence of law enforcement and willingness to report crime, than actual prevalence. Figures expressed per thousand population for the same year."

Crime index: Australia, listing, 63
Total crimes per 1000 persons: On a list from 1-81 of the rates of crime per 1000, Australia isn't even listed.
Intentional homicide, number and rate per 100,000 population. Figures expressed per million people for the same year: Australia 164th just after France

Then the following statistics identify an average standard of living that does not incline itself towards an unusual element criminality:

The Human Development Index (HDI) is a composite statistic of life expectancy, education, and income per capita indicators... [see]

Australia is listed 2nd on the HDI.

Australia's Gross National Income (2015) is $65,400 second highest after Norway at $68,400; the 3rd being Switzerland, then the US (although you guys have more members of the wealthiest 1% living in your country [see] - a lot of richie riches).

So an unusual element of criminality? Complete myth, in my lived experience and statistically. I personally have convict ancestors, and it doesn't inline me towards criminality...

*innocent whistle*

Last edited:
Best Australian beer?

Foster's Larger is supposedly renown outside of Australia as being 'the Aussie beer'. I've never even had it, and have never seen anyone drink it.

It's a matter of debate, but I do like Cascade Premium Lager, and it's considered one of the classic bests.

'The Crownie' (Crown Larger) is an Australian favourite on the upper scale of things, and VB on the lower side of things - the latter of which is the iconic beer in Australian's eyes (even if it's treated with disdain, it's admired at the same time lol).

...So an unusual element of criminality? Complete myth, in my lived experience and statistically. I personally have convict ancestors, and it doesn't inline me towards criminality...

*innocent whistle*

Fantastic answer, thank you! Will you tell us about your convict ancestors?

Reactions: Night Owl
So an unusual element of criminality? Complete myth, in my lived experience and statistically. I personally have convict ancestors, and it doesn't inline me towards criminality...

You would say that...

Do you or any of your friends ever try to ride in a kangaroo pouch? I knew some people once that would get drunk and try to ride a donkey... meh, America...

Australia is supposed to be one of the best places for star gazing, with the darkest nights skies from land, in the world. Have you been to the places where you can see such night skies? Have you visited observatories? If so, what is that like?

You live in Australia? How totally cool.
Do you plan to live there forever? Are you in what would be considered an urban area or the boondocks? Have you lived anywhere else?

Australia is supposed to be one of the best places for star gazing, with the darkest nights skies from land, in the world. Have you been to the places where you can see such night skies? Have you visited observatories? If so, what is that like?

Jumping in.
In the interior of the country, the landscape is completely flat, the air is very dry, and you can be hours from the nearest artificial light source.

In remote regions, the stars and the milky way are so visible, it can be almost impossible to pick out the constellations (the sky is that crowded with visible stars). I remember floating on my back in a hot thermal pool, just outside an opal mining town called Lightening Ridge looking at the awesome night sky (some years ago). I have traveled to many, many countries and their regions, but I have never seen such star-crowded skies, as we get here.

Reactions: Night Owl
[MENTION=862]Flavus Aquila[/MENTION]: Wow! Just as I imagined. You're so fortunate!

Fantastic answer, thank you! Will you tell us about your convict ancestors?

It's like whipping out a badge of honour, in some sick, twisted way. After all, our icon Ned Kelly isn't exactly the nicest guy, and model citizen.

From Britain itself, back in the day, two ancestors of mine were deported to Australia. One had stolen a sheep, the other stabbed a guy in a pub fight - not sure if it killed the guy or not.

You would say that...

Do you or any of your friends ever try to ride in a kangaroo pouch? I knew some people once that would get drunk and try to ride a donkey... meh, America...

If one was a toddler one could successfully attempt to do so. Yet the fully grown men who have tried, and there's been stories, have been kicked in the belly I've heard. There have been instances of joeys (baby kangaroos) climbing into the 'pouch' (i.e. shirt, make-shift pouch) of humans, thinking they were its mummy (we don't say mom/mommy). I rode a donkey once. It was a bad time.

Question: Is yank considered an endearing or offensive term for North Americans in general? Or is it endearing in the north and less so in the south?

Reactions: Milktoast Bandit

It was very interesting to here from [MENTION=862]Flavus Aquila[/MENTION] on this matter since I have never left Australia and so have nothing to compare my star gazing to. Indeed I live in the country (the boondocks), just two hours out from a lit up town/city and the sky is so clear that it is phenomenal. There's so much to see up there that, as Flavus said, one can hardly tell what from what (unless one was better informed). Despite seeing it so often it still amazes me. I've never been to an observatory, nor even looked through a telescope which would be cool. Even in the cities one can see the stars fairly well on a clear night.

[MENTION=8603]Eventhorizon[/MENTION] That answers two of your questions, and the third - I would happily live here forever, but am open to anything and anywhere if life so takes me there. I don't have an insatiable urge to travel by any means, but would enjoy it if I did - Europe then America would be on the list. Yet I'm happy if I never travel. I certainly am content here. Geographically, socially, culturally, and the health care system is a plus that makes life easier.

Having lived in America all my life I am not sure how to describe it. The biggest thing I have noticed is that in other countries there is not as much stuff to protect people from their own stupidity.

I love to travel and learn. Some people do not.
Hey maybe take some pictures of your night sky and post them!

Reactions: CosmicINFJ
Upon request ( [MENTION=14664]dang[/MENTION] ) this thread has been extracted from the womb of potentiality.

Ask an Australian any quires relating to Australia.

Other Australian forum members, answer away.

Can I sleep on your roof for a month?