[INFJ] - As an INFJ Do You Enjoy Writing? | INFJ Forum

[INFJ] As an INFJ Do You Enjoy Writing?

Stillwater

Nov 1, 2013
MBTI
INFJ
Enneagram
4w3
I hear this is very common among INFJs. However, I never really gravitated towards it. Could this be due to and undeveloped Fe function? Should I begin writing with the idea that an undiscovered talent would surface at some point? I am an INFJ male and wonder if this has an effect too.

I have a few published books, more articles, and I've loved writing since I was a kid.

PS: It never hurts to try writing. Give it a shot!

Yes! I love writing! More than anything else ever in my life! I go into a trance and forget about everything except what I'm writing.

I have hardly any creative ideas since starting graduate school which completely sucks. I used to write every day but not anymore.

Why not try it if you want to? One of the most ridiculous things I ever hear about writing is people saying that it has to be done a certain way. There's this huge anxiety about doing it properly and not learning bad habits blah blah blah. Whatever. If you enjoy a practice, do it.

My current journal reached its 10th anniversary in January of 2016. It's unusual for me not to write daily. In addition, I'm a lyricist and also enjoy writing fiction. I did set out to write a book a couple of times, but I didn't get past 30,000 words. I guess when I think of writing with the intention of sharing it, I go for shorter forms.

I love to write I don't do it as much as I would like though I have notebooks full of crap I have written over the years this forum gives me a chance to write stuff that normally stays locked inside which is unfortunate for most of the members as @invisible said I can sink into a trance like state and stuff just oozes out if I try to force a topic or write with the intention of creating song lyrics poem or story I may as well just curl up in a ball and try to suck myself off also as @invisible mentioned rules can be a burden toss all self judgements and rules out the window and just write you can always go back and fix punctuation later

I don't know if I enjoy "writing" so much as I enjoy communicating an idea. I like the thought of crafting words in a particular way that makes my brain happy, and I always hope others that read my stuff feel the same way.
I prefer fantasy over reality in a lot of cases, so I've absorbed a lot of ethereal concepts and I feel adept at regurgitating some form of the stuff, at least in a minimal fashion.
Mostly it is communication that excites me which is probably strongly linked to Fe. Exchanging ideas is super sexy. Writing makes it easier. Words are hard.

I love to write I don't do it as much as I would like though I have notebooks full of crap I have written over the years this forum gives me a chance to write stuff that normally stays locked inside which is unfortunate for most of the members as @invisible said I can sink into a trance like state and stuff just oozes out if I try to force a topic or write with the intention of creating song lyrics poem or story I may as well just curl up in a ball and try to suck myself off also as @invisible mentioned rules can be a burden toss all self judgements and rules out the window and just write you can always go back and fix punctuation later

Love this

No one I know is allowed to read it.

You don't know if it's "good" unless you share it. Everything I write is crap according to me. I've shared stuff with people and had surprising reactions. If people say it's "good" I just think they are lying or just being nice even if they have no reason to be. The inner critic is BRUTAL.
Even Maya Angelou had imposter syndrome.

You don't know if it's "good" unless you share it. Everything I write is crap according to me. I've shared stuff with people and had surprising reactions. If people say it's "good" I just think they are lying or just being nice even if they have no reason to be. The inner critic is BRUTAL.
Even Maya Angelou had imposter syndrome.

*cringe*

I'm cringing just reading this. There is no way I could actually go through with having someone I know read it. So much cringe. I can't take it.

Last edited:
i LOVE writing, but it doesn't love me.. HAHA.. i mostly write poems which are all garbage but it helps me clear my thoughts... i needed an outlet and sometimes painting is just not enough.. never hurts to try though..goodluck!

Nope! I'm not good at it either.

I've been blogging for about 15 years though. No one I know is allowed to read it.

nyahaha same same! i have a blog, also a member in one of the writing apps.. but not even one in my family nor friends know it exists ;p

------

I keep a diary. I'm not sure what the difference is between a diary and a journal other than the fact that the word "diary" sounds girly and gay. So I'll just say diary. It's mostly used as a way to ground myself. I use it to record my thoughts and goals. I want to become the ultimate survivalist. So I record thoughts about my archery practice, farming, and martial arts. I've noticed that if I take 15 minutes to write in my diary about what my goals are for the day and how I can improve on my technique, etc.. The rest of my day becomes more efficient and I actually save time. Writing has always been super important to me. But it's always served me best when it's an introverted thing.

I still need to get better at building primitive fires. One day I might do some major editing and turn my diary into a survival guide for tropical environments. But for now, it's just a good way to keep me efficient.

Great feedback guys. Thanks. I'd love to hear more.

By the way, I could be wrong, but would you say it's common for folks that find it hard to convey their words through speaking lean towards
writing?

For me it is.
I pause often while talking (-this drives everyone who knows me nuts).
I was incredibly shy and quiet as a kid, and I'm still fairly shy and get social anxiety. I can turn very non-confrontational and turn completely silent in arguments and debates, or when under extreme stress.
When having debates, in-depth discussions, and arguments (even at parties or work) I can go silent because I need to think about what I want to say. I don't like heated, intense debate.
If I write my thoughts down I 'say' exactly what I want. Since text arguing is rude, I find that writing about a topic helps me voice my opinion better next time the topic arises. I sometimes write essays about topics that interest me just for future reference.

I hear this is very common among INFJs. However, I never really gravitated towards it. Could this be due to and undeveloped Fe function? Should I begin writing with the idea that an undiscovered talent would surface at some point? I am an INFJ male and wonder if this has an effect too.

Why not just try and see where it goes ? It only has to be for you. I think writing and literature can be a great comfort to people. I bet you have some favorite books or poems? Once upon a time they were just an idea, until someone wrote them down, and had the courage to share them.

I like writing and reading anything and everything that has a ring of authenticity to it. I used to love doing modern history exams at school as it was 3 hours of being totally in the zone where nothing else existed.

I especially like reading many of the writers on this forum. It's like listening to a perfectly played symphony when they get into the zone and express themselves with metaphors and analogies, wit and humour. You know who you are!

Reactions: Stillwater