Art by Zdzislaw Beksinaki

Radiantshadow

Urban shaman
May 8, 2011
MBTI
Human
Enneagram
Human
As the titles says. (S)He is a surrealist artist with an interesting, if slightly disturbing for some, streak.

Gallery (thumbnails, sorry; you have to click a bit):
http://www.belvederegallery.com/Bex/

A few of the links do not work so I provided the gallery above and some samples below.

002225.jpg002478.jpg002526.jpgAP-7.jpg

Reactions: acd
Wow....very organic. Not disturbing to me. Those you posted moved me to breathe easy.... How strange is that?

This one caught my eye from the gallery page:

d15.jpg

I'm so grateful to you for posting this thread [MENTION=4108]Radiant Shadow[/MENTION]. Beksinski and my father were both Polish survivors of the war. I hope I'll never fully understand the incredible amount of pain, carnage and death my father saw in his lifetime. The 1% he told me about was truly horrific. People of that generation never talked about it, which is why his art is so important. He embraces the theme of surviving death without shame. Decomposed, sinewy bodies that breathe life, inaccessible buildings and passages that protect life, hidden passageways to a better life, transition from the world of the living to the next, isolated landscapes... grim, somber, heavy, never sugar-coated... that was my father.

Last edited:
Awesome. Beksinski is one of my favorite artists.

I hope I'll never fully understand the incredible amount of pain, carnage and death my father saw in his lifetime. The 1% he told me about was truly horrific. People of that generation never talked about it, which is why his art is so important.

Don't tell that to Slant - she'll give you a tl;dr eyefull on why it pales in comparison to 9/11.

Reactions: Nixie and acd
Awesome. Beksinski is one of my favorite artists.

Don't tell that to Slant - she'll give you a tl;dr eyefull on why it pales in comparison to 9/11.

I didn't make it past the part when everyone was giving their age on the 9/11 thread (reading [MENTION=3998]niffer[/MENTION] post about how she was watching Spongebob with her bowl of cereal made me feel jurassic). Anyways, I just looked back at it and have NO idea what I just read. I feel for the Dutch architects who had NO CLUE that their f*cking awesome design would infuriate the Americans. Europe does not mourn 9/11 like America does and conversely America does not mourn World War II as Europe does. This generation of Americans is especially disconnected to the atrocities of WWII IMO to make a judgement call on which was more severe. War is war.

*Sorry to hijack your thread Radiant Shadow*

[MENTION=4459]Sensiko[/MENTION]

You are very welcome. Truthfully, I just stumbled on Mr. Beksinaki and did not research his background. Thank you for educating me, knowledge is powerful and I now see his work in a deeper light.

You did not hijak the thread, I see the discussion as branching out. That is one of the perks of art, no? :)

@ 9/11 and WWII

Understanding and appreciating history is essential, or we are doomed to repeat it - first as farce, then as tragedy. It may be written by the lions at times, but it connects cultures and lives nonetheless. War is an unfortunate tool that is used too much, imo, but that is aside.

When I was doing my undergrad in music performance, I played the Hindemith harp sonata *NOT me :p*...

[video=youtube;PhSzKe_Y7i8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PhSzKe_Y7i8[/video]

My teacher insisted I research German art and history of the 1930's to better understand what his music represented to German national culture and to correlate that to a unique snapshot of time. That was the first time I really connected art and history.