Anyone overseas? | INFJ Forum

Anyone overseas?

Lerxst

Jul 3, 2010
MBTI
INFJ
Anyone (except military) in the US ever to relocate to a foreign country (primarily European) for a job? How'd it go?

I had a tentative job offer in India a while back but didn't want to uproot and move 8,000+ miles to live in poverty overseas. Looking again now, only more in the UK and Canada regions. Sponsorship seems to be a huge issue though. I can qualify as a "skilled worker" depending on the field, but I've rarely found an employer willing to help with a sponsorship and without that, it's a brick wall.

Anyone ever have luck with this without being transferred within their company? I'm just kind of wondering what the odds really are...

I have to travel all over the place. After a while you realise the grass is not always greener on the other side.

Your problems with visas usually only apply when you are moving between first and second world countries. I think there would be less trouble if you were moving 'down a notch.'

While certain conditions are lower in poorer countries, the social and cultural environment can often be much better than one is accustomed to in 1st World places. In fact, working in poorer countries puts you automatically into two nice groups: friendly neighbours; and ex-pats who want to hang around other Westerners.

If I had a choice, I would like to live in South America - not Mexico, which is technically North America, but down South in Argentina, Chile, or Peru. The culture, standard of living, and lifestyle there is 100 times better than Mexico. All you need is some modest savings from home to set yourself up in a very comfortable situation. Indeed, if you have a job and residency in Argentina you can open a term-deposit account with interest rates well over 20%pa.

Anyhow, those are my thoughts.