Anyone else like early U2?

Darc

Jul 11, 2017
MBTI
Fi
Enneagram
4W3
Everyone thinks Achtung baby Baby was their best, but I honestly th
ink most of their work prior was, which is smart in my opinion. Because I get a sense that they wanted to have a more authentic and personal/raw body of work, before deciding to completely sell out and become this big massive 'rock' band; which is the reason for all of Bono's goofy stage antics, which I honestly don't think are hat weird or bad. I think he was just playing parts and roles that he had created himself, and he did a good job of that in my opinion. In fact, it was kind of cool, I think.

I think though at some point Bono confused the real life him with the stage persona he had created.

Oh look at Brono, look at him brood for the camera, oooOOooO, just never got the attention he deserved for his raw animal magnetism and looks.

Last edited:
I really liked Edges guitar work back in the 80's. I attended the concert in the rain that was made into the music vid for "bloody sunday" It is funny though, a lot of the Irish really don't like them. My cousin and her husband, who were Garda in Dublin and worked some of their shows found them most annoying. Of course they are C&W fans.

Reactions: James and Darc
I was listening to Bloody Sunday when I was involved in my first car wreck. (The wreck did not occur on a Sunday.) I can't hear that song without thinking about that. Other than that, U2 is ok. I admit I really love Mysterious Ways.

I really liked Edges guitar work back in the 80's. I attended the concert in the rain that was made into the music vid for "bloody sunday" It is funny though, a lot of the Irish really don't like them. My cousin and her husband, who were Garda in Dublin and worked some of their shows found them most annoying. Of course they are C&W fans.
yeah, I really really like his earlier guitar work. It's so ethereal and kind of dreamy/spacey. I think perhaps because they were not so produced it's more noticeable or takes the center stage more. I think he sort of downplayed it or stopped experimenting and doing cool guitar solos and it took less of a prominence or something. Also it was loss with the mainstream big studio production which, I guess is the thing with mainstream.

This is one of my favorite of my album covers for some reason actually, I just love it for so
me reason.
War.jpg

This is one of my favorite post Achtung/mainstream U2 songs.

I just really like how earnest and vulnerable this song is. It has a really 'world' music kind of flavor to it as well which I just love.

Last edited:
Ugh, feckin Bono.

I think it's sad. At one time they were innocents, in it for the music and very idealistic in many ways. But....

I think the success they've had just elevated them to a level where corruption etc becomes almost endemic. The money, power, fame. It's destructive. I think that translated into their unrepentant tax "avoidance".

Bono's holier than thou attitude also really grates. I used to love their stuff but I can barely listen to them now. Probably the early stuff still retains the trace of what they once were.

Reactions: Happy Phantom
I think it's sad. At one time they were innocents, in it for the music and very idealistic in many ways. But....

I think the success they've had just elevated them to a level where corruption etc becomes almost endemic. The money, power, fame. It's destructive. I think that translated into their unrepentant tax "avoidance".

Bono's holier than thou attitude also really grates. I used to love their stuff but I can barely listen to them now. Probably the early stuff still retains the trace of what they once were.
Qft.

Reactions: James
Bono's a gobshite. *grumble grumble*

Reactions: James
Reactions: 5r6jhd and James
Hey hey hey. Careful now. Bono's the patron saint of Ireland.

Though shalt not mock The Vox.

Truly @Tin Man? Bono's about as popular as wasps at a picnic, in most of Ireland. A hugely wealthy egotist, who didn't pay his taxes, but is happy to lecture others on who to donate their money to.

Truly @Tin Man? Bono's about as popular as wasps at a picnic, in most of Ireland. A hugely wealthy egotist, who didn't pay his taxes, but is happy to lecture others on who to donate their money to.

I have no idea what you're on about. We have a parade in honor of Bono every year. Haven't you heard of Bonosgiving or Bonomas? These are holy days for us in Ireland.

Reactions: 5r6jhd and James
It's almost like you're trolling me.... :(

Ah, come on James. I'm only messing with you because I hate you so, so much.

jk, you're a cool guy

Reactions: James and 5r6jhd