Anyone dealing agoraphobia here? Would you talk about it? | Page 2 | INFJ Forum

Anyone dealing agoraphobia here? Would you talk about it?

I was studying agoraphobia in a psychology class it I realized that I have a mild form of it. I don't get to the point of an attack but I get very uncomfortable in certain circumstances and feel the need to leave the situation. What made me realize this is how I am in my Zumba class at the gym. It is usually fairly busy and I have to be at the back near the door. I don't feel comfortable to be amongst the other people. I need to feel a little separate and be near the door to escape if I feel too crowded in, which I have done many times. To the others it probably doesn't seem crowded but it feels that way to me. I need to feel like there is no one behind me as it is hard enough to have people in front of me and on each side of me. They make me feel crowded and like I'm being squeezed in between them.

The description of agoraphobia where they explain it as a fear of being trapped and a need to feel like there is an escape fits me very well. Years ago I was at a famous street food festival in my city and it was very busy and crowded. I ended up being shuffled along with the crowd, unable to escape and get out of the throng of people. I was extremely uncomfortable and had to keep talking myself out of panicking. I've never been back to it and I now make sure to stay on the edges of any crowded place.

I was studying agoraphobia in a psychology class it I realized that I have a mild form of it. I don't get to the point of an attack but I get very uncomfortable in certain circumstances and feel the need to leave the situation. What made me realize this is how I am in my Zumba class at the gym. It is usually fairly busy and I have to be at the back near the door. I don't feel comfortable to be amongst the other people. I need to feel a little separate and be near the door to escape if I feel too crowded in, which I have done many times. To the others it probably doesn't seem crowded but it feels that way to me. I need to feel like there is no one behind me as it is hard enough to have people in front of me and on each side of me. They make me feel crowded and like I'm being squeezed in between them.

The description of agoraphobia where they explain it as a fear of being trapped and a need to feel like there is an escape fits me very well. Years ago I was at a famous street food festival in my city and it was very busy and crowded. I ended up being shuffled along with the crowd, unable to escape and get out of the throng of people. I was extremely uncomfortable and had to keep talking myself out of panicking. I've never been back to it and I now make sure to stay on the edges of any crowded place.

I do this, too. It's a necessary strategy.

I don't know about anyone else, but I think I just like being part of the woodwork :p

While on the topic, I did see a very good indie movie about agoraphobia called Sparrows Dance. I think you can get it on Amazon, if not itunes. It's sweet, but not corny. Here's the trailer:
[video=youtube;ElGC2jB5fJk]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ElGC2jB5fJk[/video]

Well Ill say this... as I said I believe I used to suffer partly from this. I got annoyed about it and put myself into public situations where I would be most uncomfortable. Eventually I just stopped caring. So if it concens you and you want to do something about it, try doing the same.