Any INFJ pre-school teachers here?

Ethereal

Regular Poster
Dec 4, 2009
MBTI
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
What is good and bad about it? How do you cope with the noise and dealing with the parents?

I didn't teach pre but I did teach K-5 for many years.

Good:
You run your own ship so you alone are accountable
You make a difference in the lives you touch
You are genuine in your efforts and kids pick up on that right away
You have a general calm(ing) demeanor

Bad:
You're going to have to put the "social" hat on --think open house, parent/teacher conferences, relating to aides. You'll be great at it and it will help you to grow as a person, but it will be a challenge.
You will want to curl up into a cocoon at the end of the day
You will need to get used to talking all the time
You will need to learn to be assertive and children are excellent teachers at that

You'll get used to the noise. It's pretty much expected in pre, but I'm sure you'll find creative ways via guided movement, soft music, and imagery to keep the little ones focused. Parents are your greatest ally, don't think about it as "dealing." Don't be afraid to tell them the truth about what's going on (in your caring, careful wording) because they will make your job easier. Your goal should be to communicate with them daily.

Good luck and I hope that helps!

Hi Sensiko, thank you for replying, that was helpful. I am very interested in going into this area. Can I ask you how introverted you are? That is my major issue, I am VERY introverted, I know I'll be fine with the children, it's the adult interaction that worries me, I also have various disabilities/differences but I think that despite the challenges it will also be an asset as I want to eventually work with special needs kids. I've thought and researched long and hard and for the longest time I wanted a job that would suit a loner/recluse but avoiding people is not the answer I think, especially as those kind of jobs require degrees and are mostly techie/numbers related, all the things I am TERRIBLE at. I am idealistic and creative.

What do you do now Sensiko? (If it is ok to ask)

By introverted, do you mean shy? I don't really know how I could quantify my introverted-ness...

But if I could quantify my shyness on a scale of 1-10 (1 being extremely shy 10 being socially extroverted) I'd say that when I started teaching at 22, I was at a 4.5 and thought the same as you, I know I'll do fine with kids. When I stopped teaching 8 years later I was at a 7 because I had a lot of experience being social and it came as second nature. Teaching is a social job, you will have to interact with many people about their most precious possession --their children. That being said, being extremely introverted shouldn't mean you should shy away from a career that appeals to you. The personal growth of doing what you never thought you could do, being who you didn't think you'd become is IMO why we're here. The best advice I can give you is take time to observe and volunteer in the type of classroom you want to be in. Observe other classes too. ASK many different teachers any and all questions you have.

Personally, I loved every minute of teaching and wouldn't take it back for anything. But it was a challenging road. Any job that pays well is, right? However, I do remember the tough days when I would kick myself and say that I should have been a librarian. BTW any time I'd talk to a librarian, I'd tell them that and thy would almost always cry, NO you don't want to be a librarian! So who knows...

After I taught (1st and 2nd mostly) I went into a high pressure sales job --an introverts WORST nightmare. I personally grew by leaps and bounds and would rate myself a 9 today. I loved that job and did well at it because my clients knew I was genuine and not your run of the mill pushy salesman. I had to learn to stand up for myself and be around unscrupulous people. I had a conversation with a client once and told her I was very introverted and to that she said she would have never guessed. Being social when the occasion calls for it takes a lot out of me, it literally drains me and I need a lot of "me" time to recoup. Given the choice I'd rather be at home consumed in my own world, which is what I'm lucky enough to do at this present time. But alas, we all have to make our way in this world and hopefully put our mark on it as well :)