An INFJ + Job Hunting | INFJ Forum

An INFJ + Job Hunting

Apr 15, 2012
MBTI
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
I am a graduate that is looking for her first proper job. I feel a little awkward in admitting that I have never had a job before. instead, I have spent the time, effort and money in education.

Now a graduatate, I am faced by the cruel realities of the real world. I have no problem in doing the research on jobs and have spent so much time gathering information and reflecting upon my strengths, weaknesses and what I want to do as a career. The terrifying part is actually the arranging and attending interviews with prospective employers.

I really worry about my abilities in coping in such a competitive job market. A typical INFJ, I am concerned about the way in which I will come across to others and believe it will be very hard to find a job that will suit my personality. I have little confidence in myself and think that verbal communication is something in which I am not too good at. I feel I am not able to express what I mean when made to talk with people I don not know. Even with those few I can communicate with, I often find it hard to find the right words or explain things in a way that will be understood. I do not believe I am stupid - what I want to say is there in my head...just getting it out in a confident way is...tricky. Perhaps I exaggerate my problems and other people do not see them - but to me they feel real.

When it comes to writing, I am the exact opposite. I really enjoy writing and feel I can express myself better through it. I long to find a job in which I can write for most, if not, all day. I know this will be very difficult to come across though. These kind of jobs require experience and at least some confidence in working with others. The latter I know I need to improve on. I am not very good when it comes to big crowds and prefer building a rapport on a one-to-one level with people. The experience issue is something in which I have to contend with now. I suppose I will have to contend with now. The thought of putting myself out there and doing jobs I won't be comfortable in doing. I mean that busy, competitive environment when it is all about money. Being an INFJ, I am extremely sensitive and take criticism badly. I cannot imagine how awful I would feel if I was made to feel a failure. I am aware that everybody has to face criticism in order to learn from mistakes and grow as a person but hell, it is something I am going to struggle with.

Ideally, I want to find a job in the likes of a charity or a not/for-profit organisation. I feel that I would be able to flourish in such an environment and let my creativity, imagination and compassion shine through. I want to be in a career where I will be appreciated and made to feel at home, making a real difference.

Anyways, I will stop there now as I think I have gone on enough. I would like to hear from other INFJs and their experiences of job hunting and identifying a suitable career that complements our unique nature? Any advice you can give in keeping positive and such? Thanks!

I sincerely apologise for spelling or grammatical mistakes that appear in the message. I am a new owner of an iPad so having to get used to the on-screen keypad and that.

I am an INFJ and was very quiet and shy for the first 20 some years of my life. As a result of having to survive in the working world I had to learn some skills that were extremely difficult for me and opposite my personality. It was hard, took me longer than more outgoing types and went against my grain so to speak, but I did it and the skills I learned served me very well throughout my life. That doesn't mean what worked for me will work for you though.

The things listed below are what I got from what you wrote. Most of your concerns can be handled at an interview. Remember when you are being interviewed you are also interviewing them. Write down the questions you want to ask. What does the company have to offer you. If you choose to work for a company that cannot provide you with the things you want, make a conscious decision if you decide to take the job. For example; they cannot offer me this, but they can offer me that, and/or I'll take this job and keep it for however long because it will get me the experience I need to get the next job.

Involves writing This depends on the type of job you apply for and the skills and experience you have, none of which I know.
Working one on one This also depends on the type of job you apply for and the skills and experience you have.
Criticism needs to be delivered in a way that you can take in - Question for interviewer; How do you approach offering constructive criticism to employees? If you ask the question be prepared to answer when the interviewer asks, why do you ask? Answer; I like a positive working environment focused on building strengths and overcoming weaknesses. They might ask for an example, so be prepared.
Interest in charity or non-profit organizations, making a difference There might be some web databases for non-profit type jobs that are available. Do a web search or go to websites of the non-profits that you are interested in or know about and look at what positions they have available and their hiring process.
Involves use of creativity, imagination, and compassion Would this position give me any opportunities to use my creativity? How and in what ways?
Be appreciated I noticed your company offers tuition reimbursement and a nice benefit package. Do you promote from within or have anything like employee of the month programs, etc.?
Made to feel at home Would you say this company is family oriented? Does the company support or initiate things like employee get togethers and outings that help build positive professional relationships and working together. For example, company picnics, softball teams, etc.

Remember to look at how long employees work at a company. Companies that have a high turnover of employees have that problem for a reason. These jobs will be easier to get, but they may also be ones you don't want. Companies that have people that stay for a long time are doing or offering things that people value. These jobs will be harder to get because more people are competing for them. Ask the interviewer what the average length of time employees stay at the company. This is information you need to know. Sometimes even though it may be a short lived position, it can provide you with the start you need to get you off the ground. Keep in mind also that just as families and relationships can be dysfunctional, so can companies and organizations. Some companies can be just downright toxic.

If you haven't been on a lot of interviews you have to hone your interview skills. Basically go on interviews and more interviews and more interviews. Go on as many interviews that you can find for jobs that you don't really want. Just because somebody offers you a job doesn't mean you have to accept it. This will give you invaluable experience. Believe me if you do this, when you finally get the interview for the job that you really want you will be less likely to walk out of that interview saying to yourself, "I should have said this, I should have done this, I should have brought that, etc., etc.. In other words practice makes perfect. With practice you will learn how to assess companies and whether or not they will suit you. Don't forget to follow what your gut instincts tell you.

Apply for jobs, any jobs that even remotely interest you where you think you have a better than average chance of getting offered the position or at least getting an interview. These are jobs that you are overqualified for. This will give you valuable experience and build your confidence. Don't worry about botching the first bunch of interviews. The idea is to gain interview experience so like I said when you do get that interview for the job you really want, you're experienced enough to know how to conduct yourself. Whoever interviews you is going to know that you don't have a lot of experience. They're going to be looking at your other strengths, number one, what do you have to offer their company other than experience.

There a couple of things to keep in mind when entering the job market and the working world for the first time. One, it's called work for a reason, if people were having fun it would be called play. Two, I don't know of anyone that ever started at the top. Everyone pays dues to get where they are. Be willing to start at an entry level position to eventually get where you want to be. This means giving up some immediate things that you want for what you can attain in the long run. Basically it's a ladder everyone has to climb. Remember to climb that ladder with professional ethics in mind even if other people don't. Believe me as the years pass your professional reputation will precede you, whether you choose the high road or low road - choose wisely.

This is all I can think of off the top of my head. I hope you find some of it useful. Maybe some other folks on this forum will have other advice you can use too. Good luck.

Last edited:
looking for a job in not-for-profit organisations might be a good starting point for you. :) in my experience, not-for-profit organisations generally try to provide a friendly and welcoming work environment; one that reflects their service-driven ethos. your strengths (compassion/empathy, rapport building skills, one-to-one communication style) are likely to be an asset to many of these kind of organisations. i have worked in government and non-government, and i have noticed that smaller, non-government organisations seem to be particularly good at fostering these qualities and often provide a warm personal work setting.

despite being quite shy myself, i have been able to overcome this (to some degree) when working with people. my empathy and desire to help/support others gives me bravery. you might find this will be the case for you, too.

Sadie and Blackmountainside - I sincerely apologise for the delay in this reply. Thank you both very much for the helpful advice - I will keep the given tips in mind as I continue in applying for jobs and going to interviews.

I applied for an entry level graduate scheme at an academic publishers recently. The area in which I am particularly interested in working in is editorial. The prospect of getting experience at this reputable company excites me and I feel I made a strong application. Unfortunately, it has been three weeks without them getting in touch. They did state that if not contacted within six weeks, we should assume we have been unsuccessful. I know that there is more time to wait and I should try and remain hopeful but it is really difficult. I can understand that there is likely to have been a high volume of people applying but still, it is hard for me to believe - or accept - that I may not be chosen. I mean, I put so much effort into the application and I am confident with my CV...it is an entry level scheme after all! Perhaps I need to toughen up and get used to the fact that I am going to face rejection before I strike lucky.

In more positive news, I applied for a voluntary position as a group organiser at a local befriending service for those with dementia and their carers. An informal meeting has been arranged for in a few weeks. Hopefully this will go well well. It would be really good to put my skills of empathy and compassion into practice - make a real difference to the lives of vulnerable adults in the community. There is also a good chance I will be offered work experience in the archives at a local Record Office too. Hopefully, these opportunities may allow me to become more confident in my abilities and closer to knowing my life purpose.

Tip (for putting employers and supervisors at ease)

Try to get out of the habit of apologising from imperfections in execution. Save apologies for when you mess up/destroy something serious.

Imperfections are not so unsettling to a supervisor as a lack of confidence. Presumptuousness, or arrogance is worse, but I suspect you will be incapable of that in the workplace.

Try to get out of the habit of apologising from imperfections in execution. Save apologies for when you mess up/destroy something serious.

There's someone here who is an obsessive apologizer. It's to the point where it's annoying.

I call him on it when he does it, and it's gotten better. Just a habit to break.