Amy Winehouse

Ghoulia Yelps

Community Member
Dec 15, 2013
MBTI
INFJ
Enneagram
4w3
I've just watched the new documentary about Amy.
I've seen her typed lots of times online ad ESTP. Now after seeing this movie, I really don't see her as an ESTP at all.
She might have been ISFP or even INFP. Her songs were very deeply personal, and she seemed driven by her emotions.
If she was INFP, that would make her the same type as Lady Di, who had many parallels, bulimia and hatred of the paparazzi for a start. They say that stressed people act as their shadow, so I'm wondering whether this could explain the ESTP thing. She could have been a bipolar INFJ.
What do you think?

I definitely think that she was an ES. An IN would be more withholding and in-her-head than she was.

Esfp I'd say.

I always felt that she was an ENFJ.

I always felt that she was an ENFJ.

Interesting. Why do you think ENFJ?
I think she had a lot in common with Lady Diana, I know I'll get shot down in flames for saying it, but there we go. They both eschewed fame, suffered bulimia, had problematic intense relationships. Diana tested as an INFP.

The model ESFP is Penny from BBT. Compare her to Amy. I don't think its a good fit.

Im not familiar with that person, but not everyone is a model.

That's also a possibility.

My immediate guess is an ESFJ

I found this quote, which seems to support what you say. I never really considered her a traditionalist, but even her musical education was focused on the past, the old jazz singers and not new music. She seemed to have wanted to be a Jewish mum.

In 10 years’ time I’m gonna be looking after my husband and our seven kids. I’d really like to get everyone in one place and sit down and eat a meal together. I would like to uphold certain things, but not the religious side of things, just the nice family things to do. At the end of the day, I’m a Jewish girl.3

I found this quote, which seems to support what you say. I never really considered her a traditionalist, but even her musical education was focused on the past, the old jazz singers and not new music. She seemed to have wanted to be a Jewish mum.

In terms of INFP's in music, I look more to people like Sufjan Stevens. Check out the video below, and how he looks like he's constantly reaching inside for his emotions. He seems withdrawn from the audience, but really he's just trying to give his all. He's looking around and up constantly in a seeking way, as is typical for xNFP's.

[video=youtube;eEePQgHa_gs]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eEePQgHa_gs[/video]

Last edited:
I find it a bit tricky sorting INFJ from INFP musicians, I think that Morrisey, David Sylvian, Joseph Arthur, Peter Gabriel, Kate Bush and Jon Anderson (Yes) are INFJ, and Bob Dylan, Robert Smith, Tori Amos, Marilyn Manson are INFP, but some of these could probably switch around.
Sufjan Stevens I would have made INFJ.