Ambiversion | INFJ Forum

Ambiversion

just me

Feb 8, 2009
MBTI
infj
Being somewhat ambidextrous, I noticed doing something differently the other day after someone had asked if I had ever done it that way. Just the thought a day earlier had me actually achieve something new and I wasn't thinking about it. Now that I have your attention, how rare is a true ambivert? Is it not possible to show signs of ambiversion occasionally? Your thoughts, TDHT?

Nobody swimming against the tide?

Are we talking about being an Ambivert or being Ambidextrous?

Ambivert: a person having characteristics of both extrovert and introvert.
Ambiversion: the personality configuration of an ambivert.

Ambidextrous: using both hands with equal ease.
Ambidexterity: the quality or state of being ambidextrous.

Totally misread that - oops.
Well the question still remains.

Being somewhat ambidextrous, I noticed doing something differently the other day after someone had asked if I had ever done it that way. Just the thought a day earlier had me actually achieve something new and I wasn't thinking about it. Now that I have your attention, how rare is a true ambivert? Is it not possible to show signs of ambiversion occasionally? Your thoughts, TDHT?
[MENTION=680]just me[/MENTION], the title of the thread is "Ambiversion", however, your first sentence is about being somewhat ambidextrous. Could you please clarify, which is being discussed?

I'm gonna go with Ambiversion. I've read a bit about it. I think I might be.

I think I am an ENFJ because the description describes me almost perfectly bar some of the social characteristics. I still have some introverted tendencies, however a lot of he INFJ description doesn't seem to fit.

I am definitely an ambivert. I switch between being introverted and extroverted quite often and it comes very naturally. But I'm not sure about its rareness. Maybe you should create a poll?

Oh...and I'm also ambidextrous but I don't think the two are related, lol. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
It's kind of hard to say because most people do not fall within the extremes of either introversion or extroversion, and there are certain types who are "naturally" "supposed to be" more introverted or extroverted than what their type labels them as. So typically when people try to determine whether they introverted or extroverted, it's a matter of figuring out where their very slight preference goes toward. It's tough too because people revert to weaker functions when under stress.

In addition, I don't even know if there's a set criteria out there for how big this range of extrovert/introvert balance tilting is allowed to be. It seems like it's just a vague idea that someone came up with as an add-on to personality theory. Has anyone collected a thorough description of what an ambivert is supposed to be like in contrast to regular people, and how they can be identified? I've never really seen one out there myself.

One study found that introverts have more blood flow in the frontal lobes of their brain and the anterior or frontal thalamus, which are areas dealing with internal processing, such as planning and problem solving. Extraverts have more blood flow in the anterior cingulate gyrus, temporal lobes, and posterior thalamus, which are involved in sensory and emotional experience.[SUP][21][/SUP] This study and other research indicates that introversion-extraversion is related to individual differences in brain function. (same link) This gives thought to blood flow and pulse. Where does that leave someone in between? How would this impel the thought process? Very interesting. Could there be "ambiverted' intuition and sensing, etc?

Reactions: cvp12gh5