Tin Man

"a respectable amount of screaming"
Jun 21, 2012
Right behind you...
MBTI
INTJ
Enneagram
N
Alan Turing was hugely influential in computer science and mathematics. He was also instrumental in breaking German ciphers. While recognized for his work in cryptography, he isn't as well known as he ought to be.

In 1952 he was castrated for homosexuality and eventually committed suicide. Only now, 60 years later is he "pardoned". I don't think he should need to be pardoned, as it was a barbaric act, but it's the best we're going to get.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/p...-years-after-he-poisoned-himself-9023116.html

PS. Unless you want your day ruined, don't read the homophobic bile spewed in the comments section.

In 1952 they would have castrated with female hormones something most Transgender use profusely today. He avoided jail time and the cyanide poisoning was claimed to be an accident in some accounts. Coming across dangerous chemicals like that back then wasn't too difficult. Now how would one know he was sexual of any nature unless the man was a rampant pervert?

PS: If you want to start picking fights I suggest flogging yourself first then tying your hands behind your back. It makes it all the more fun to kick the crap out of you then.

In 1952 they would have castrated with female hormones something most Transgender use profusely today. He avoided jail time and the cyanide poisoning was claimed to be an accident in some accounts. Coming across dangerous chemicals like that back then wasn't too difficult. Now how would one know he was sexual of any nature unless the man was a rampant pervert?

http://drvitelli.typepad.com/providentia/2011/04/the-turing-problem.html

When Alan Turing's house was burglarized on January 23, 1952, it didn't seem all that serious. As Turing himself would later write in a lettter to a colleague:

I have just had my house broken into, and am still every few hours finding some fresh thing missing. Fortunately I am insured, and little has gone that is really irreplaceable. But the whole thing has had a very disturbing effect, especially as it followed shortly on a theft from me at the University. I go about expecting a brick to fall on my head or something disagreeable and unexpected anywhere.

Prophetic words. When Turing reported the crime to the local police, he quickly began to suspect that a young lover of his, Arnold Murray, was involved. He had met Murray earlier that month and they spent several nights together at Turing's house. On being accused by Turing, Murray became agitated and threatened to tell the police everything about their relationship. Given that homosexuality was still a criminal offense at the time, Turing knew perfectly well that what Arnold's confession would mean. Despite the risk, Turing simply told him to "do his worst" and Murray settled down. Murray admitted knowing the burglar (an acquaintance he had told about Turing's house) who had probably decided that Turing was a good target since he would be unlikely to report the robbery. Although Turing was reassured enough to resume his relationship with Murray, he decided to go to the police with the information. While he did his best to conceal Murray's identity and the exact nature of their relationship, he was eventually forced to confess the truth. His fate was sealed at that point.

The police were struck by Alan Turing's lack of shame in admitting his homosexuality. He minimized the seriousness of his lifestyle and even protested that a Royal Commission was being planned to legalize it (he was wrong). Under Section Eleven of the 1885 Criminal Law Amendment Act, homosexual conduct was classified as Gross Indecency. Only applying to males ( all lesbian references were removed from the act although the actual reasons for the exclusion remain murky), the act made no distinction between public or private sex acts and permitted no exceptions. While the 1885 legislation replaced earlier, more religion-inspired, laws classifying homosexuality as a "crime against nature", the days of convicted homosexuals serving prison sentences were hardly over by Alan Turing's time. For all that his unconventional lifestyle was an open secret to many who knew him personally, Turing's failure to keep his life out of the public eye meant the he could be charged and convicted.

<big block of text>

yay for story time!

So according to this he was not accused of anything. He went to the police and incriminated himself due to his fascination with sexual relations with thieves. When one has a sexual relation and the police get involved that means you are a pervert, case in point every instance of domestic violence. Its perverse in the sense that it is destructive.

yay for story time!

So according to this he was not accused of anything. He went to the police and incriminated himself due to his fascination with sexual relations with thieves. When one has a sexual relation and the police get involved that means you are a pervert, case in point every instance of domestic violence. Its perverse in the sense that it is destructive.

I'd ask if you're a wizard, but your avatar is clearly a mage.

Typical of the british government....screw someone(s) over and then apologise for it when they're dead and all the damage is already done

Here's a novel idea....maybe the government could just not be cruel sheisters in the first place? And maybe pigs will fly...