Aha! | INFJ Forum

Aha!

There is indeed an extensive amount of mental circling involved. But it's rarely something specific unless it's an important conclusion you reach after days of going around in circles.

I usually get aha-moments in the bathroom, which is quite weird.

I do occasionally get the big aha, after years of waiting and dead ends...

Reactions: Wyote and Ren
I do occasionally get the big aha, after years of waiting and dead ends...

I was talking about small ones though. I don't think I considered anything quite so important to have it up in my brain attic for years.

You ought to be congratulated for your tenacity, do you mind me asking what topic that big aha pertained to?

I was talking about small ones though. I don't think I considered anything quite so important to have it up in my brain attic for years.

You ought to be congratulated for your tenacity, do you mind me asking what topic that big aha pertained to?
There are some hypotheses I'm researching currently, and I expect to "aha" eventually for them. Other realizations about certain metaphysical sciences as well, in the past.

I think there's a lot of misunderstanding about this mysterious Aha moment which makes it sound almost psychic. To me these "Aha" moments simply come from a period of mulling over something (Ni can work unconsciously) and suddenly, one day, I reach a conclusion. It isn't anything mystical but it can seem quite out-of-the-blue even to myself, let alone others. Whenever I approach a complex situation, I gather all the info/data/facts through my Se and run them through my Ni. Sometimes I'm able to quite quickly process and conclude, but at times it takes a bit of mulling and I may bury it in the subconscious (meaning I don't actively think about it), and suddenly a conclusion comes to me. That's like my "Aha" moment. I have, often times, have decisions/realisations come to me the first moment I wake up.

Infjs are known to have aha moments, guys could yall give me some examples of when you've had these?

Sorry I dont have a concrete and specific example, but my aha moments are usually when I connect things together that don't normally connect at first glance. Like taking an understanding of the psychology of addiction and then seeing the overlap and connection with something like mbti or even astrology. It's a moment in my brain when I finally connect things and therefore have a better understanding of multiple things, like putting in the last piece of a puzzle and finally understanding what the picture truly is. It's very satisfying when it happens and then it promptly gets filed away for future use. The actual aha moment that happened is not recalled, just the connections that were made, so that's why it's hard for me to give you a specific example.

like putting in the last piece of a puzzle and finally understanding what the picture truly is
The actual aha moment that happened is not recalled, just the connections that were made, so that's why it's hard for me to give you a specific example.

I think this is why it's so difficult to pin down aha moments. Rarely is it that some specific single thing is figured out, but it is more that some greater visual of a problem is discovered. One time long ago for example, I worked on a complex company wide problem involving about two hundred spreadsheets per workbook with a few different workbooks and I was trying to figure out how to do some calculations for them across workbooks and departments. I figured out bits and pieces along the way, but when I had my aha moment it was like seeing the whole process in action as well as the result, and additionally how I could use my method to solve other problems.

Sometimes aha moments are also pretty simple and straight forward though, like last week when I was trying to figure out how to hold a nail in place and decided to use a band aid.

Sorry I dont have a concrete and specific example, but my aha moments are usually when I connect things together that don't normally connect at first glance. Like taking an understanding of the psychology of addiction and then seeing the overlap and connection with something like mbti or even astrology. It's a moment in my brain when I finally connect things and therefore have a better understanding of multiple things, like putting in the last piece of a puzzle and finally understanding what the picture truly is. It's very satisfying when it happens and then it promptly gets filed away for future use. The actual aha moment that happened is not recalled, just the connections that were made, so that's why it's hard for me to give you a specific example.
Ooh now i understand, something like when i find unrelated things and couldnt understand how they made sense as a whole and kept searching. Along the way finding something that would join all these together and suddenly everything makes sense.

Don't have much to add, I think the "aha" moment has been pretty much nailed down.

What can feel mystical about it is not so much the conclusion, but the fact that so many different and seemingly unconnected thoughts can be held together unconsciously for so long before the final piece of the puzzle comes along. And it's a weird thing to consciously become aware of this unconscious process, even to use it for one's advantage in a variety of life situations. There is something empowering about knowing that, even if you can't fix a problem consciously on the spot, your unconscious is already at work and you will eventually find the answer. Like @Wyote said, sometimes the answer is even "better" than expected - more expansive, multi-dimensional, revealing the deep structure of the problem that originally caused confusion. That way, it can be used to solve other problems in the future.