NeverAmI

Satisclassifaction
Retired Staff
Sep 22, 2009
MBTI
INFP
Enneagram
5w4
Curious if anyone has any recommendations on a comprehensive book for studying the ACT?

I picked up a 2005 edition Cracking The ACT from The Princeton Review which I am using for a refresher of the curriculum but eventually I will buy a decent unmarked copy for practice questions and such.

I am looking specifically for a book and not a website or study software.

I've never taken the act, and have avoided it for the most part, but in my several attempts to pass the Algebra part of the college entrance exams I have gone through several useless test prepping books (4 I have purchased and one textbook I borrowed from a friend). If you find a good one, I'd be interested. But I can't read something and absorb it, someone has to show me - math wise.

I didn't really study for my ACT and still did well.
Maybe I should've prepped though and score even higher than I did

I know you said you didn't want a website, but because practice makes perfect, I'd at least recommend checking the ACT site for their practice test, if not checking out other practice resources (I've found the SAT practice tests are also quite handy, except for the lack of a science section). Also, you might be able to find genuine questions from past ACT exams through legitimate websites (I know the AP Exams post the extended response questions a little after the exams have been issued, so it's possible that there might be copies of past ACTs floating around, but I haven't personally looked into it...).

Cracking the ACT is, as I've heard, a great resource to help you out with the ACT. I used The REAL ACT Prep Guide when I took the test. It helped me a lot because it had numerous practice exams for each section of the test, and it gave some excellent pointers for dealing with test anxiety and physically preparing yourself for the test day.

I've never taken the act, and have avoided it for the most part, but in my several attempts to pass the Algebra part of the college entrance exams I have gone through several useless test prepping books (4 I have purchased and one textbook I borrowed from a friend). If you find a good one, I'd be interested. But I can't read something and absorb it, someone has to show me - math wise.

[MENTION=2398]middle1[/MENTION] [ame="http://www.amazon.com/Practical-Algebra-Self-Teaching-Guide-Second/dp/0471530123/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1286244508&sr=1-1"]Practical Algebra[/ame], from my research, is one of the highest rated books for learning Algebra. The book can't 'show' you but it may be worth a look.

I will let you know if I find anything in addition to that as well.

Sweet, I'll have to go to the bookstore and see if its within my capacity haha. I did print a bunch of tests off the ACT website but they don't actually show you how to come up with the answers so it wasn't helpful at all. But maybe your looking at the test styles rather than studying? Are you going back to school? I'm always so grateful when I have to take a test and its multiple choice : P

Sweet, I'll have to go to the bookstore and see if its within my capacity haha. I did print a bunch of tests off the ACT website but they don't actually show you how to come up with the answers so it wasn't helpful at all. But maybe your looking at the test styles rather than studying? Are you going back to school? I'm always so grateful when I have to take a test and its multiple choice : P

This book goes into the underlying principles behind all the expressions. I believe they word the examples very well.

As for going back to school, yes. I want to have some impressive ACT scores because I want to get into Neuroscience and my High School record isn't fabulous. I got a 4.0 in Community College for Computer Networking Technologies and I have a good work history, not sure if that will be enough. I am assuming I will probably be doing a bit of gen-ed at another community college for a period.

I am not exactly sure on what steps to take first. I have been researching the courses at a few different universities and comparing requirements and such. Once I get a couple of strong candidates I will talk to the admissions counselors to see if they can help me nail down a solid plan.

I am trying to find the most economical approach while still attending a reputable university.