A day without women 2017 | INFJ Forum

A day without women 2017

James

Infamy, infamy.. they've all got it infamy
Retired Staff
Dec 29, 2009
MBTI
INFJ
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/w...estic-industrial-labour-pay-gap-a7616551.html

“A Day Without a Woman”

A woman I know mentioned this to me, and I hadn't heard this was happening today. I think to see it as merely some kind of "Trump" protest or confined to America is the wrong way to see it. I think it's global, and I don't blame women for protesting, they have every right. The supression and indefensible treatment of women is a global thing.

Equal pay, Equal rights and fair treatment is not an unreasonable thing to ask for. Protest works. But especially when it is peaceful and well organised. The peaceful element is vital. It's what differentiates a protest from criminality. And where peaceful protest does breach the law ? It usually demonstrates that the law is unjust.

Women in "power or authority" scares some men. It makes me laugh. What scares me, are corrupt dishonest, stupid people in power or authority. That worries me a lot more than gender. Even though I did nearly title this thread "why don't women just do as they're told.." some inner voice told me that would be taking a joke too far... ;)

Equal pay and rights is a common sense thing imo. However it can't be ignored that women are different than men and in relation to that aspect, differences have to be acknowledged in the work place. Physical ability along with allowances for pregnancy etc...
But yes to begin with, equal pay for equal work and rights should happen immediately. Now I'm just hoping for a week without men where I get paid for it...

Walking off the job may lose some a days pay...others their livlihood. I think walkouts may be a bit over the top.

( :p just doing as I was told...but by whom?)

I did know these protests have gone on for a long time but not which day. I think how women choose to protest is up to them. In no way would I suggest poorly paid women give up a whole days pay, when they're already struggling. But? I hope that doesn't mean they can't protest at all. And I genuinely think a lot of women would be maybe surprised that most men, across any political divide do support having a fairer system.

Women won the right to vote through protest. It wasn't gifted to them. I think @Eventhorizon has hit the nail on the head there are basic things that could be enacted fairly simply. Interestingly to me, business and countries, that have more progressive attitudes do better and are more successful.

Almost like women make a positive difference. I'm not sure that can be true but there it is.. lol :)

As for businesses that might punish, victimize or sack women merely for a protest? That's why organising and uniting is crucial. If I ever read about a business that did that? I'd vote with my wallet. I think most big businesses are terrified of bad publicity, and something like that would be as bad as it could get.

I'm fortunate in that I've worked in female dominated professions my entire life and rising through the ranks over the years taught me a great deal about self-worth when it comes to wage/salary negotiation. My personal experience as the interviewer kind of shockingly proves that women tend to not negotiate for their pay whereas men absolutely do.

For instance, I have x amount in the budget and the powers over my head always demand a low-ball offer. More times than not a woman will agree to the low offer and a man will use his work experience and knowledge of the job to negotiate for higher pay, even if the woman has greater experience and/or knowledge. I've always been fair in that my offer of x amount of pay always correlates to experience and/or knowledge, but I know it's not like that in most professions. My point being that I feel women need to be aware of their worth in the workplace and be more demanding from the get go. I love it when I would hear something like, "I know my skills are worth it and I will prove it" from a woman. In male dominated professions, I can imagine this would be more difficult.

I'm a huge supporter for anything that will empower women and increase their self confidence. However, I feel that protests such as these, calling in sick or walking out on your job to protest only increase the divide and scrutiny, especially in companies where the big bosses are those old school gents that really don't give a crap about the plight of women, they only care about their company and who is showing up for work. I can see this backfiring for many people.

I think this reflects the common mentality regarding the protest:
20170308_131717.png

I support pay equality, but I'd rather fight against the abuse and oppression that women face around the world. Such as body mutilation as punishment, a right to an education, a right to choose her future.
I'm of the mind that if you want higher pay and your skills are worth it, negotiate for it with your employer, and let's put more energy into fighting for those that are truly oppressed, especially in first-world countries where women have the freedom to do so.

I'm fortunate in that I've worked in female dominated professions my entire life and rising through the ranks over the years taught me a great deal about self-worth when it comes to wage/salary negotiation. My personal experience as the interviewer kind of shockingly proves that women tend to not negotiate for their pay whereas men absolutely do.

For instance, I have x amount in the budget and the powers over my head always demand a low-ball offer. More times than not a woman will agree to the low offer and a man will use his work experience and knowledge of the job to negotiate for higher pay, even if the woman has greater experience and/or knowledge. I've always been fair in that my offer of x amount of pay always correlates to experience and/or knowledge, but I know it's not like that in most professions. My point being that I feel women need to be aware of their worth in the workplace and be more demanding from the get go. I love it when I would hear something like, "I know my skills are worth it and I will prove it" from a woman. In male dominated professions, I can imagine this would be more difficult.

I'm a huge supporter for anything that will empower women and increase their self confidence. However, I feel that protests such as these, calling in sick or walking out on your job to protest only increase the divide and scrutiny, especially in companies where the big bosses are those old school gents that really don't give a crap about the plight of women, they only care about their company and who is showing up for work. I can see this backfiring for many people.

I think this reflects the common mentality regarding the protest:
View attachment 34629

I support pay equality, but I'd rather fight against the abuse and oppression that women face around the world. Such as body mutilation as punishment, a right to an education, a right to choose her future.
I'm of the mind that if you want higher pay and your skills are worth it, negotiate for it with your employer, and let's put more energy into fighting for those that are truly oppressed, especially in first-world countries where women have the freedom to do so.

I agree to a large extent. But I think the protests in whichever form are good, when well organized, as they highlight indefensible inequality. My honest belief based on my own very limited personal experience is you're totally correct on negotiation.

My last workplace was female dominated 400 plus staff probably 70% female. Managers ? Probably 60 to 70% male. No way representative. On my own small team, the only deputy before I took it over was a guy. Smart but lacking people skills and very unpopular with colleagues.

When the next round of temporary promotions came along? I worked very hard to encourage certain women on my team to apply. It was hard to believe they didn't realise their value. Two got through and deputized across mine and other teams.

I wasn't being cool or doing favors, they were good staff, they got results. They were popular, and that was in a time when managers generally weren't. They weren't popular for being women, they were popular for being good at their jobs.

How women want to arrange their protests is of course up to them, but I'd suggest organised planned collective action is always likely to be more successful. I don't know much about women, except don't mention their age, weight, hairstyle or think they don't know men. They do.

Reminds me of Sherlock Holmes and Irene Adler "the woman" A scandal in Bohemia.

But on negotiation, I think culturally women are not encouraged to use their "elbows" the way men do. I'm not naturally a tough negotiator, but it's something people can learn like any skill. Ultimately it's about fairness not favors.

I think culturally women are not encouraged to use their "elbows" the way men do

I would like to add that I was only speaking of pay in my earlier post. There are still many more prejudices women face in the workplace that do need to be addressed. Especially since working women are usually the caretakers in a family as well. Maternity leave, sick time for ill family members, doctor's appointments, and everything else that comes with having dependents or being a caregiver of parents while trying to have a career and be the breadwinner at the same time.

These are things that I feel are just not understood by the old gents in power that I mentioned simply because they never had to juggle these things themselves. They come from a world where housewives were the norm and our society just doesn't work like that anymore. Women usually have more responsibility in a family setting. Take into account there are more and more single mothers out there than ever before that can't/ don't rely on child support or government assistance, I think there is still much work to be done in this area of our society.

It was hard to believe they didn't realise their value

This just popped into my bean as I read that sentence...
I wonder how much of this has to do with parents, especially fathers, raising lady babies according to traditional gender roles, or worse, just sucking dirty nuts at raising daughters in general. Such shitty parenting can wreck the self esteem of such a small, feminine, bi-pedal, humanoid with a vagina.

Could raising female type little creatures to know their worth or expect respect and not settle for less than they deserve, in life, relationships, work, etc help in developing negotiation skills when it comes to earning wages?

Thought over. I have to poop now... bye

Could raising female type little creatures to know their worth or expect respect and not settle for less than they deserve, in life, relationships, work, etc help in developing negotiation skills when it comes to earning wages?

True, but it also goes the other way. Women who raise boys to be entitled and self serving, and a little bit useless- deserve just as much wrap. It's how both genders are raised that feeds into this.

This just popped into my bean as I read that sentence...
I wonder how much of this has to do with parents, especially fathers, raising lady babies according to traditional gender roles, or worse, just sucking dirty nuts at raising daughters in general. Such shitty parenting can wreck the self esteem of such a small, feminine, bi-pedal, humanoid with a vagina.

You are spot on. It's culture. Women are often made to feel if they "argue" it's not proper. They're not meant to argue, they are meant to accept men being the leaders. if they say/do something, they're "pushy" or "b1tches" they are meant to defer to men.

What I think is, that is a crock. In the same way as when men "care" they are weak, not real men. Yeah. you have to be a bastard to be a real man. Why would I ever support womens rights? Cos I'm a good guy ? Nope. Cos I wanna score with chicks ? sure if that could help, but no not really lol.

Instead it's for the selfish reason that it makes the society we live in better. To me I am willing to "tolerate" equality.. I still think I maybe should have gone with my original thread title "why wont women just do as they're told" except that I think I know the answer. They are maybe smarter than men. That is the thought that keeps me awake and gives me night terrors... ;)